What's new

Featured Pakistani Navy confirms Brazilian jetliner will replace Orion patrol aircraft

Any timeline on this or details on subsystems? I’m guessing it’d be an improved version of Leonardo’s ATR offering.
The confusing part is that if Leonardo won the contract, did they win it for the subsystem and weapons integration, or did they also win it for the actual design-side modifications? As I said elsewhere, I can't see how we'd be able to do major design modifications without Embraer's input. So, if this contract is solely for Leonardo, then we're looking at a relatively modest configuration (e.g., no internal bays).

The confusing part is that if Leonardo won the contract, did they win it for the subsystem and weapons integration, or did they also win it for the actual design-side modifications? As I said elsewhere, I can't see how we'd be able to do major design modifications without Embraer's input. So, if this contract is solely for Leonardo, then we're looking at a relatively modest configuration (e.g., no internal bays).
I don’t think internal bays were part of the design either way - Ive been on the ERJ-190 a few times and there really isn’t that much space in that fuselage to do a bay.

Im 5”10 and my head has to turn if I sit window on the ERJ, dont have to do that in a 737 NG

even more worryingly, you are also looking at minimal payload capacity, maybe 4 hp's on the fuselage at max? no AShM's, somewhat concerning i guess.

LEONARDO WINS BID TO CONVERT PAKISTAN NAVY EMBRAER LINEAGE 1000s INTO LONG RANGE MPAs
View attachment 758457

Pakistan Navy has awarded a contract to Leonardo S.p.A. of Italy for the modification and conversion of 2+1 Embraer Lineage 1000 aircraft into Sea Sultan Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
The contract initially includes procurement of two Embraer Lineage 1000 aircraft from international vendor(s) and design, modification, installation, integration and operationalisation of three aircraft into MPAs. This will include all Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) and maritime patrol requirements of the Pakistan Navy.

The Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) contract for the 3 aircraft prior to modification has been awarded to the Paramount Group of South Africa. The contract may include options for modifications for a further 7 aircraft that the Pakistan Navy intends to procure in the future.

Interesting if true - and it will allow Italy to offer a long range MPA aircraft to European customers based on this platform and will offset the German/French attempt to build a MPA ( Germany just signed for P8's from the USA ) and coupled with this news - maybe the end of the French-German effort !!!!

even more worryingly, you are also looking at minimal payload capacity, maybe 4 hp's on the fuselage at max? no AShM's, somewhat concerning i guess.
This sends me back to my original guess...the PN may not stop at 10 LRMPAs. I actually do think they'll take it to 12-16 -- one reason being the inherent lack of payload. But yeah, it doesn't look too good for AShM integration, unless we're talking SPEAR-3 level stuff.

Question is that orion system aircraft is only changing or we will aquire completely new mrp setup on thede aircrafts

Photo-3936.jpg

The Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) for the 3 aircraft prior to modification has been awarded to the Paramount Group of South Africa. The contract may include options for modifications for a further 7 aircraft that the Pakistan Navy intends to procure in the future.

Giving aircraft Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) prior to modification to the Paramount Group ( South Africa) means Embraer is pretty much out of scene

Having two different plateform for same role be expensive and maintenance problem, just trust whatever PN make out of Leonardo should be equally good and in good numbers
Now we are already using Saab 2000 AWACS.
In the 1st scenario, it will give us complete air and sea dominance when swordfish and SAAB 2000 AWACS flew together.
In 2nd scenario, have two different platforms will enhance our capabilities against enemies.
Maintenance is not the problem because i am taking about avionics suite, not aircraft. Brazilian jetliner is the right choice PN chose.

In the 1st scenario, it will give us complete air and sea dominance when swordfish and SAAB 2000 AWACS flew together.
In 2nd scenario, have two different platforms will enhance our capabilities against enemies.
Maintenance is not the problem because i am taking about avionics suite, not aircraft. Brazilian jetliner is the right choice PN chose.
Multiple possibilities are there as PN initially select Leonardo for 3 jet conversion contract. So it mean they evaluate these jet then decide to give next 7 to Leonardo if satisfied or if not then next 2 to 3 jet conversion can go to other vendors

Multiple possibilities are there as PN initially select Leonardo for 3 jet conversion contract. So it mean they evaluate these jet then decide to give next 7 to Leonardo if satisfied or if not then next 2 to 3 jet conversion can go to other vendors
Reason to give contract to Leonardo is most probably due to
CAMM-ER vlc for milgem corvette

LEONARDO WINS BID TO CONVERT PAKISTAN NAVY EMBRAER LINEAGE 1000s INTO LONG RANGE MPAs
View attachment 758457

Pakistan Navy has awarded a contract to Leonardo S.p.A. of Italy for the modification and conversion of 2+1 Embraer Lineage 1000 aircraft into Sea Sultan Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
The contract initially includes procurement of two Embraer Lineage 1000 aircraft from international vendor(s) and design, modification, installation, integration and operationalisation of three aircraft into MPAs. This will include all Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) and maritime patrol requirements of the Pakistan Navy.

The Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) contract for the 3 aircraft prior to modification has been awarded to the Paramount Group of South Africa. The contract may include options for modifications for a further 7 aircraft that the Pakistan Navy intends to procure in the future.

Main roles

The basic mission portfolio of the ATR 72MP includes all military maritime surveillance tasks; monitoring of sea lanes; protection of fisheries; prevention/intervention against activities such as piracy, smuggling, drugs trafficking and illegal immigration; Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) patrol; Search and Rescue (SAR). The aircraft can also act as a flying command post and can double as a capable personnel transport asset in case of emergency. Moreover, the aircraft is also an effective anti-submarine warfare (ASW) asset with the capability to also perform anti-surface operations.

ELINT & DASS

By adding optional subsystems and equipment like the Elettronica ELT800V2 ESM (Electronic Support Measures)/ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence), the ATR 72MP can also become an effective ELINT platform. A complete Defensive Aids Sub System (DASS), able to protect the aircraft from radar, IR and laser-guided threats, is also available to allow for operations in potentially hostile areas.

ASW

Thanks to the platform growth capabilities and the mission system modular design, the ATR 72MP can also transform into an Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Anti-Surface unit Warfare (ASuW) asset, by installing a dedicated sensors/subsystems package including: sonobuoy storage and launch system, acoustic subsystem, Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD), store management system and two fuselage pylons to carry and release up to two lightweight torpedoes.

The ATR-72s of the PN are almost identical to the Saab Swordfish MPA. Anyone that advocates for them has no idea what they are talking about. They share almost complete subsystems, only difference is the platform. So, why would PN consider them when they have the ATR-72 MPAs? Makes no sense, at all!

Back
Top Bottom