What's new

Pakistani Muslims, Christians Come Together for Peace

Abu Zolfiqar

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: As many as 150 Muslim and Christian families, affected by the recent floods, attended a function at a church in connection with the World Peace Day on Monday.

The event was organised at the Khanna Dak Christian Colony church with the hope that it would give a message to the nation that different communities can live together in peace and harmony.

Priest Faqir Masih told the audience that it was the first time in his life that he had seen members of the two communities together in a church. “We are pleased and honoured by the presence of the Muslims in this church. This will bring the communities closer.”

The event was an initiative of the Global Peace Pioneers (GPP), a non-governmental organization, working for peace, interfaith harmony and sustainable development.

Ninety-nine flood-affected families from the Christian Colony and 60 from Pindorian and Iqbal Town attended the event.

Muslims, Christians come together for peace - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

4c807f88694573b741b8382de38632d6.jpg

Is church visit allowed in Islam?
You are allowed to enter a church if you have a legitimate need to do so; such as attending a funeral or a wedding or in order to acquaint yourself with the Christian way of worship or even developing cordial relations with them. There is nothing objectionable about it in such cases. I would also add that they are not only sanctioned but may even be encouraged in Islam.

In other words, it all depends on the intention and purpose of your visit. If you are entering a Church for the purpose of worship or receiving blessings or confessing your sins or beseeching favors from other than Allah, then you are wrong.

If, on the contrary, it is not for any of the above reasons, and you simply went there to observe how the Christians conduct their services and familiarize yourself with their ways or for the purpose of outreach, dialogue, cooperation in virtuous acts, etc., then there is nothing wrong with that.

In such cases, it may even be highly recommended depending on the nature of your visit and the circumstances. We know that the Caliph `Umar ibn Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him), while in Jerusalem, was taken around in the ancient Church by the patriarch, but he refused to pray inside. When asked about it he said, "I am afraid, if I were to do so, Muslims might later claim it as a prayer place or a musalla.”

To conclude, I can say that there is nothing wrong for Muslims in visiting churches, synagogues, or temples if the purpose is other than worship or religious reasons.

Yes. Jesus is mentioned in the Quran 154 times.

The most mentioned Prophet in the Qur'an is Prophet Musa
b3a538464a0c50b0a23653449cd02253.gif
. By name.
Prophet Ibrahim
Prophet Jesus

As far as entering a Church or Synagogue, it depends on your school of thought.

Hanaafi and Shaafas say Haraam.

Hanbalis say it's Mukroh. If necessary for a Muslim they may go in.

Last edited:

The gates of the city were now opened. Omar went straight to Al-Masjid-i-Aqsa. Here he said his prayer .

Next he visited the biggest Christian church of the city. He was in the church when the time for the afternoon prayer came.

“You may say your prayers in the church,” said the Bishop.

“No,” replied Omar, “if I do so, the Muslims may one day make this an excuse for taking over the church from you.”

So he said his prayers on the steps of the church. Even then, he gave the Bishop a writing. It said that the steps were never to be used for congregational prayers nor was the Adhan [ call to prayer ] to be said there.

why not....Christianity is also an Abrahamic faith, like Judaism.

Church visit can be done out of respect

You are allowed to enter a church if you have a legitimate need to do so; such as attending a funeral or a wedding or in order to acquaint yourself with the Christian way of worship or even developing cordial relations with them. There is nothing objectionable about it in such cases. I would also add that they are not only sanctioned but may even be encouraged in Islam.

In other words, it all depends on the intention and purpose of your visit. If you are entering a Church for the purpose of worship or receiving blessings or confessing your sins or beseeching favors from other than Allah, then you are wrong.

If, on the contrary, it is not for any of the above reasons, and you simply went there to observe how the Christians conduct their services and familiarize yourself with their ways or for the purpose of outreach, dialogue, cooperation in virtuous acts, etc., then there is nothing wrong with that.

In such cases, it may even be highly recommended depending on the nature of your visit and the circumstances. We know that the Caliph `Umar ibn Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him), while in Jerusalem, was taken around in the ancient Church by the patriarch, but he refused to pray inside. When asked about it he said, "I am afraid, if I were to do so, Muslims might later claim it as a prayer place or a musalla.”

To conclude, I can say that there is nothing wrong for Muslims in visiting churches, synagogues, or temples if the purpose is other than worship or religious reasons.

for the sake of promoting more cohesion/fabric of society we need more Muslims to visit Churches, Gurdwaras etc. in Pakistan

sends a good message of solidarity to our non-Muslim brothers/comrades

Last edited:
A good gesture indeed. It is time to show unity and religious harmony.:pakistan:

off topic -- but back in 2013, St. Mary the Virgin Church in Multan (165 years old) was 100% restored and is looking absolutely stunning.

11f660c39e228c9519228f0a2944d60b.jpg

The Cathedral Church was restored with the support of the Pakistan Army and the local Civil society. The corps Commander and the Station commander of Multan Cantt along with other civilians (including religious leaders) and and Army leadership were there last December, when the stone of restoration was unveiled, and from the Pakistan Army the message was given that outwardly restored Cathedral is a Christmas present from the Pakistan Army to the Christian community in Multan.

so all walks of life - civilian and military should be involved in promoting national unity...especially at a time when hostiles/foreign entities would love to see Pakistan divided

Back
Top Bottom