What's new

Pakistan-Turkey 4 Milgem Ada Class Corvettes Contract - Construction started

PN MILGEM Meeting

Turkish Project Manager: So, this is a streamlined anti-sub corvette?

PN Admiral: Yes, we are finalizing the requirements. Speak to the Commodore?

PN Commodore: *reading Defence.pk*

@JamD @Yasser76
I can assure you Turkish naval architects and project managers are quite familiar with changes on the go.Turkish shipbuilding industry still shines despite of cheaper and quicker solutions in asia for this reason. customization and tailoring is their upper hand , which they can do even while during the construction.
So if it is what those people are good at it, changing design or even remaking some parts on during construction :) :) :)

1623784059745.png

1623784159269.png

1623784183545.png

Steel Cutting ceremony of fourth MILGEM Class Corvettes for Pakistan Navy was held at Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works (KS&EW), Pakistan. Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Amjad Khan Niazi graced the occasion as Chief Guest.
The event marked an important milestone in the construction schedule for fourth MILGEM Corvette for PN. Pakistan Navy has concluded contract with M/s ASFAT for construction of 04 x corvettes out of which two are being constructed at Istanbul Naval Shipyard whereas the remaining two at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works. These corvettes will be fitted with state-of-art Surface, Sub-Surface and Anti-Air Weapons & Sensors, integrated through an advanced Network Centric Combat Management System.
Speaking at the occasion, Chief of the Naval Staff expressed that it is a matter of pride to witness the Steel Cutting of fourth PN MILGEM Corvettes at KS&EW. He added that it is a historic occasion as Ministry of Defence Production, Pakistan Navy, Karachi Shipyard and M/s ASFAT of Turkey have joined hands for construction of this Corvette. The Admiral in his address said that today's event is a defining moment to further cement the bond of friendship between the two strategically aligned nations with common shared values, culture and principles. Naval Chief acknowledged the commitment and dedication of KS&EW and M/s ASFAT for meeting the challenging construction schedule despite ongoing global pandemic.
The induction of MILGEM Corvettes will significantly enhance maritime defence and deterrence capabilities of Pakistan Navy. These corvettes will become a core element of PN's kinetic response to traditional and non-traditional challenges and to maintain balance of power in the Indian Ocean Region.

Meanwhile, according to Turkish sources, Chinese missiles will not be used on board. Albatros NG is expected to be the first platform of Pakistan's ADA. It is stated that the fire control radars will also be removed.

It seems MBDA CEO visited to workout the deal, also CAMM-ER may become what ESSM block-2 is for NATO navies.

Question is can CAMM-ER handle future threats like drone swarms, Hypersonic and high supersonic AShMs?

What is different between SMART-S Mk-2 and aforesaid radar??

With the simplest logic, each module dynamically provides the power output as desired in an AESA type radar. In this way, you can adjust the range/resolution difference dynamically when needed, much more easily than a Pesa type radar, it is also more resistant to indirect EW attacks.

The individual Sea King can carry more troops, but the troop-capable Sea King force in PN is very small.

The alternate approach is to have more helicopters available -- albeit with a medium-lift (12-16 troop) -- capacity on hand. The operating cost of the AW149 is also lower thanks to heavier COTS use. In the long-term, it's easier to add more of this type than specialized platforms like AW101 and AW159. Granted, the ASW/AShW variant of AW149 isn't going to carry troops; but the two variants would still be identical from a maintenance and support standpoint.

Besides, the risk of the AW101 and AW159 is actually long-term operating cost, it will be higher than the AW149 (the latter was designed to be low-cost upfront and through-life). Finally, having more helicopters on hand helps offset for downtime and non-availability rates. The PN is (or at least was) thinking along the Sea Hawk and Black Hawk lines.
Isnt AW-189 a better option for troop carrying then the 149? And with more operators.

is that HARBA missile that big? i doubt it, overall width of the ship is 14mt and harba looks 14 mt long too and launcher box looks 1,5mtx1,5mt for me.

Thanks for reminding the Missile name @HRK , I was trying my best to remember it, but couldn't help myself.
The information about Air Defense and Ship Borne Cruise Missile was missing till now.
Anyway, with this piece of information, I have completed the long pending updated label work of Pakistan Navy Milgem corvette. :D

Pak Milgem Label New.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom