What's new

Pakistan to acquire six submarines from China

Not verifiable. I'm not expecting name rank and serial number .... (but nothing doesn''t quite cut it either ;-)

Perhaps they are the new much larger 6000 ton-esque Qing class SSK. They would have no trouble supporting LACMs and even MR-SLBMs.

Not verifiable. I'm not expecting name rank and serial number .... (but nothing doesn''t quite cut it either ;-)

Mr. Rafi is a senior member at Pakdef.info forum with respectable sources in Pak military and many of his predictions have been spot on in the past so i trust his info.

Perhaps they are the new much larger 6000 ton-esque Qing class SSK. They would have no trouble supporting LACMs and even MR-SLBMs.

You mean 'improved Yuan'?

Improved Yuan
The first boat of a much improved Yuan class (Type 039B?) was just launched at Wuhan Shipyard on September 9, 2010. This class has been speculated to feature a new sonar system (flank sonar arrays?), a new surveillance and targeting system (periscope, radar etc.), and a new weapon system (possibly long-range AshM launched from torpedo tubes). The submarine also adopts some advance features learned from the Russian 636 class design, such as the hull mounted retractable foreplanes. The sail appears wider but more hydrodynamically streamlined and stretched compared to that of 039A which might house a short-range SAM system for self-protection against slow-moving ASW aircraft. Its submerged displayment might have been increased to 4,200t. As the result its noise level is expected to have been further reduced. However there is no indication that 039B carries a towed array sonar. The overall performance of the improved Yuan (may be assigned a new class name by the west in the future) is thought to be comparable to the latest Japanese Soryu class SSG.
Chinese Navy

Yuan in its current/ modified form will be a formidable submarine tech we can get for now but as good as it is with new combat data system, AIP, possible VLS plug for CMs, near stealth patrolling capability etc but one area where the U 212 (NOT 214) excels is the revolutionary Anti-Magnetic Hull technology which is strictly for German fleet. I dearly wish if Chinese are able to replicate something even close to this!!! AMH tech makes the 212 as stealth under the ocean as F-22 raptor in the sky!

U212 / U214 Attack Submarines - Naval Technology

U-214 does not use A magnetic hull like U-212 being the export variant. The most important thing for stealth is silence i.e. minimization of both internal and external noise. AMH is more to do with survivability since AMH means you can easily evade magnetic mines

Lets all of us keep our focus, this technology to counter x, that technology to counter y, I would offer, is not the point -- it's the "teach a man to fish.." That's what we should focus on - institutionalizing the know how - I don't think in this early phase that we should be looking for products that can compete with US or German submarines, lets focus on first "learning to fish" so to speak -- Super 7 to JFT took more than a decade, and JFT is a accomplishment that really does put PAF in a advantageous position, just as the submarine technology, whether design, construction processes, training and doctrine or R&D, will in a 10-15 year period, place PN in a advantageous position.

when we say co-produce or joint-production .. what exactly does that mean?
after the completion of this, if it exists or any, co-produced project will Pakistan have all the know how/ infrastructure to build these machines or just enough for maintenance/repairs

France provided transfer of technology regarding Agosta 90B....what happened ?

not enough resources to build more itself?
seek suppliers with France's permission- more $$$?

With China's cooperation, i hope it would make a differences.

U-214 does not use A magnetic hull like U-212 being the export variant. The most important thing for stealth is silence i.e. minimization of both internal and external noise. AMH is more to do with survivability since AMH means you can easily evade magnetic mines

So where did i say u-214 uses AMH? read post again

Hi, the Agosta 90B deal was more of an assembly deal. Pakistan has come a long way since then, and hopefully this deal with China will involve a lot more technology transfer. Pakistan had to import all the high strength steel for the Agosta 90B hulls from France as they could not produce it at home. Hopefully they can make that steel in house this time.

Does Pakistan produce DH 36 and DMR 249A steel for warshi production? If it does which company produces it?

So where did i say u-214 uses AMH? read post again
no, I implied if you're relating stealthiness with AMH..

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

More by Pshamim
During Zardari's visit to China late last year and subsequent meetings in Islamabad between the officials, Pakistan has expressed a desire for additional 8 frigates. The first four may be the Jiangkai 054(A) class but there is no word where the other 4 will be coming from.

There is a tacit agreement for 6 submarines as reported earlier with four produced in China and the other two in Karachi.

As mentioned above by some members, HQ-16 is a strong possibility.

This news is as of today. But What happens tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Hi Mr. Satishkumarcsc, I do not know if Pakistan produces DH 36 and DMR 249A steel for its ships. Can someone please shed some light on the F-22P frigate built in Karachi? Was the steel imported or locally produced?

We DO produce Agosta's HLES high strength steel at home now.

Hi, Mr. Nabil_05 this is great news. I am assuming it is another foundry and not Pakistan Steel Mills that produces this high strength steel.

I remember reading a book called "Military Inc.: Inside Pakistan's Military Economy" by Ayesha Siddiqa. In it she trashed the PN saying they imported all the steel for the Agosta 90B submarines. I am relieved that the PN and Pakistan has moved past this dependence.

Hi, I did a quick google search and found a few companies in Pakistan that make high end steel products. I do not know if this is what is used in naval frigate and/or submarine construction, but it looks promising and is reassuring. Pakistan should definitely use local high strength steel for the production of these new submarines.

Amreli Steels Limited

http://www.magnasteel.com.pk/products.htm

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom