What's new

Pakistan showing interest in J-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no source or confirmation of this news.
Pakistan Affairs uploaded this rumor and our beloved Zarvan bhai jan found it too hard to wait & let any confirmation come from any relevant source .......
Sir kyun rang main bhang daal rahain hain app abhee too kuch loog jalna shoroo huwe theea

Last edited:
Sir Allah kry we go for it or j31 ... we need an air superiority fighter desparately ... and in decent no too ...
j31 is not air superiority fighter and certainly doesn't seem promising if they haven't solved the aerodynamic inefficiencies yet

Sir Allah kry we go for it or j31 ... we need an air superiority fighter desparately ... and in decent no too ...
Well J-16 will be a stop gap solution airplane until we acquire J-31 or any other 5th gen platform so it is not a replacement for the next gen platform.

j31 is not air superiority fighter and certainly doesn't seem promising if they haven't solved the aerodynamic inefficiencies yet
What aerodynamic inefficiencies J-31 has ?..
And why it is not air-superiority airplane?

Pakistan should go for J-16s along with J-31s.
Yes, exactly...J-31 or any other 5th gen. will surely be acquired / developed.

Well J-16 will be a stop gap solution airplane until we acquire J-31 or any other 5th gen platform so it is not a replacement for the next gen platform.

What aerodynamic inefficiencies J-31 has ?..
And why it is not air-superiority airplane?

Yes, exactly...J-31 or any other 5th gen. will surely be acquired / developed.
the first prototype was running on after burner throughout maneuvers and had hard time to keep the nose up... it was also done with the fighter carrying no load so it could have been worse with payloads...

a chinese aviation expert Xu Yongling has called this an export 1st gen fighter...
has also mentioned of it's range and payload sacrifices to maintain an internal weapons bay for stealth...

and it's mainly being developed as a multirole fighter.... not solely with air superiority in mind. it's a direct competition to f-35 not the f-22 which is an air superiority fighter.

Honourable seniors this is a thread regarding j16 which is short to midterm solution for paf, j31 is or can be long-term solution. The load, size and range of weapons which j16 can carry are beyond the scope of j31 or j10 or any other fighters available to pakistan.

the first prototype was running on after burner throughout maneuvers and had hard time to keep the nose up... it was also done with the fighter carrying no load so it could have been worse with payloads...

a chinese aviation expert Xu Yongling has called this an export 1st gen fighter...
has also mentioned of it's range and payload sacrifices to maintain an internal weapons bay for stealth...

and it's mainly being developed as a multirole fighter.... not solely with air superiority in mind. it's a direct competition to f-35 not the f-22 which is an air superiority fighter.
Perhaps you know about the A/C development cycle or not but the matter of the fact is that all genuinely designed systems go through an evolution which is called development cycle. It is an iterative process and even F-35 when through the same cycle despite billions of dollars budget, a multination JV still got late multiple times.. First prototype of J-31 flew many years ago and since then China has made a lot of strides and the recent version has improved a lot so your info is not up to date.

By the way, a true 5th gen A/C can easily establish its air superiority above all 4, 4.5, 4+++ gen A/C easily as demonstrated by F35 in Red Flag exercise by achieving a 15:1 kill ratio over F-16V. Remember that F-35 is slower than F16 but due to stealth and far advanced modern technologies (most modern avionics and sensor fusion), it has a huge advantage over all other previous fighters including Grippen E, Rafale, EFT, Su35 or J16.

As far as F22 is concerned, it was designed around total air-dominance and not just air superiority.. however its extremely high costs ( per unit and operational) have resulted in closing down of its production line. USAF has around 150 F22.

However F-35 has more advanced aerodynamics than F22 due to more advanced computational power available to the designers for simultaneous calculations of the most optimal configuration for stealth and superior aerodynamic design. However F-22 is a twin engine A/C that has extra power and due to supercooled exhaust for supercruise and stealth, it has to produce enormous amount of thrust and thus it s a fuel guzzler. F-35, on the other hand, is slightly underpowered due to single engine configuration but it will be far cheaper to operate than F-22.

It is widely believed that J-31 is based on stolen tech from JSF (F-35) project. However since China didn't had a very powerful single engine so they opted for a twin engine configuration which gave it more P/W and thus higher speed than F-35. However it remains to be seen how the avionics of J-31 performs vis-a-vis F-35.

Last edited:
If PAF gets a raise in their Budget, their First choice will be F-16's block 52.. no matter how much we hate or criticize , but F-16blk 52 are very advance Fighters.. Even though i am not supportive of it but this is only fighter we can easily add up in your Existence fleet with everything else already set-up ..all these other Interests and rumors will die sooner or later .

If PAF gets a raise in their Budget, their First choice will be F-16's block 52.. no matter how much we hate or criticize , but F-16blk 52 are very advance Fighters.. Even though i am not supportive of it but this is only fighter we can easily add up in your Existence fleet with everything else already set-up ..all these other Interests and rumors will die sooner or later .
I dont think so sir I know old habits die hard but I also am under 'illusion' that there are some sensible people in the higher ups of paf.

Sir its an honour to interact with you but on face of it which we lawyers call prima facie does not seem to be credible s400s? and 1.5 billion for 4 more mi 35s I mean s400 is out of question for pakistan for many reasons what do you think sir

And is pakistan airforce buying mi35s because I didn't know which arm of pak military is buying mi 35s

Perhaps you know about the A/C development cycle or not, I'm pretty sure you don't but the matter of the fact is that all genuinely designed system go through evolution which is called development cycle. It is an iterative process and even F-35 when through the same cycle despite billions of dollars budget, a multination JV got late many times.. First prototype of J-31 flew many years ago and since then China has made a lot of strides and the recent version has improved a lot so your info is not up to date.

By the way, a true 5th gen A/C can easily establish its air superiority above all 4, 4.5, 4+++ gen A/C easily as demonstrated by F35 in Red Flag exercise by achieving a 15:1 kill ratio over F-16V. Remember that F-35 is slower than F16 but due to stealth and far advanced modern technologies (most modern avionics and sensor fusion), it has a huge advantage over all other previous fighters including Grippen E, Rafale, EFT, Su35 or J16.

As far as F22 is concerned, it was designed around total air-dominance and not just air superiority.. however its extremely high costs ( per unit and operational) have resulted in closing down of its production line. USAF has around 150 F22.

However F-35 has more advanced aerodynamics than F22 due to more advanced computational power available to the designers for simultaneous calculations of the most optimal configuration for stealth and superior aerodynamic design. However F-22 is a twin engine A/C that has extra power and due to supercooled exhaust for supercruise and stealth, it has to produce enormous amount of thrust and thus it s a fuel guzzler. F-35, on the other hand, is slightly underpowered due to single engine configuration but it will be far cheaper to operate than F-22.

It is widely believed that J-31 is based on stolen tech from JSF (F-35) project. However since China didn't had a very powerful single engine so they opted for a twin engine configuration which gave it more P/W and thus higher speed than F-35. However it remains to be seen how the avionics of J-31 performs vis-a-vis F-35.
and that's what i have said... if it didn't go through design changes the plane is useless... if you check my first comment...

f-35 with all it's electronic warfare capability engaged now has proven itself.... without those earlier it was a slouch duck open...

fun fact... f22 is not the most maneuverable plane US made... in fact they have sacrificed some maneuverability for stealth

with design refinements... j31 can surely become a potent fighter... however if more efficient engine or larger fuel load without sacrificing weapons load cannot be managed, i don;t see it as "worth it"

Is PakDef that credible though? If I'm not mistaken they do have members in abundance that know their stuff.

I dont think so sir I know old habits die hard but I also am under 'illusion' that there are some sensible people in the higher ups of paf.

Sir its an honour to interact with you but on face of it which we lawyers call prima facie does not seem to be credible s400s? and 1.5 billion for 4 more mi 35s I mean s400 is out of question for pakistan for many reasons what do you think sir

And is pakistan airforce buying mi35s because I didn't know which arm of pak military is buying mi 35s
I personally don't know. The S-400 reports came from an unnamed "high-level" Pakistani official via Sputnik News and RIA Novosti, which is an OK source. The J-16 news is from PakDef, so you'll have to make of it what you will. Personally, I would wait for an official PAF statement to the matter, which (if this is true) shouldn't be long.

I personally don't know. The S-400 reports came from an unnamed "high-level" Pakistani official via Sputnik News and RIA Novosti, which is an OK source. The J-16 news is from PakDef, so you'll have to make of it what you will. Personally, I would wait for an official PAF statement to the matter, which (if this is true) shouldn't be long.
Thank you sir

There is no source or confirmation of this news.
Pakistan Affairs uploaded this rumor and our beloved Zarvan bhai jan found it too hard to wait & let any confirmation come from any relevant source .......
That page is followed by most members here so better we ask @Windjammer which I started this thread for that How much this news is true or totally false ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom