What's new

Pakistan Scores Better Than India in Translating GDP Growth to Well-Being

larger population= larger number of those living in poverty/without electricity/living in slums.

But what about as a % of the population? India has it down to 12%, what about Pakistan? What about brining people out of poverty? India is doing so at a rate of around 10 million people a year, what about Pakistan? India has a policy to house every citizen by 2022, what about Pakistan? India is adding the equivilent of Pakistan's entire national grid to its own every single year, what is Pakistan doing to increase energy production?

Please let us not degrade the argument by beating up those who are putting them up, and quoting facts at them. Read them as poems and ghazals, and enjoy them.

As for us backward Indians, it was said for us long ago, "Cela est bien dit, rèpondit Candide, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin."

This is why the government has concentrated on quick and dirty indicators. It is not insignificant that they are already under severe pressure; they have lost Delhi, where the bureaucracy is fighting a rear-guard action to defame and incriminate the upstart AAP, and they have lost Bihar, leading to serious loss of face for the criminally implicated party president hand-picked by the prime minister. Their efforts at horse-trading blew up in their faces, when they turned out to be rather awful horse-traders, in both Uttarakhand and in Arunachal Pradesh; sadly, in those two states, legislators who were bought did not have the honour and uprightness, the moral backbone, to stay bought.

You should formally join politics

AAP is full of jerks and low lifes ; at least you are educated ; experienced and sophisticated

By the way did you Benefit from the UPA gravy train

Leaving aside for a moment your own views and attitudes, it is quite true that the urgent need for this new government to prove itself to the approximately half of the voters who voted for it governs its actions and thinking. Out of the 31% of the vote that they got, perhaps some 15% was from individuals who hoped for the revival of economic betterment, and for the easy access to the visible proofs and material indicators of success in life that were available before UPA II. Perhaps another 4% was an opportunist segment, that thought immediate short-term gains in political and economic influence over government decisions was worth the risk. It is clear that there are two parallel trends of thought and of action going on within the government: on the one hand, the desperate need to prove to its 'new' constituents that the economic upsurge that they voted for is happening, ignoring entirely the fact that these upsurges take time and positive, deliberate action policy steps to convert into individual prosperity; on the other hand, the 'old' constituents are running riot under the grossly mistaken impression that their day in the sun has come.

This is why the government has concentrated on quick and dirty indicators. It is not insignificant that they are already under severe pressure; they have lost Delhi, where the bureaucracy is fighting a rear-guard action to defame and incriminate the upstart AAP, and they have lost Bihar, leading to serious loss of face for the criminally implicated party president hand-picked by the prime minister. Their efforts at horse-trading blew up in their faces, when they turned out to be rather awful horse-traders, in both Uttarakhand and in Arunachal Pradesh; sadly, in those two states, legislators who were bought did not have the honour and uprightness, the moral backbone, to stay bought.

You may expect more of this, Haq Sahib, so prepare for a season of fun and good times as an analyst predicting India's momentary downfall, or serial failures. Whatever the fortunes of the country, 'achhe din' are here for you.

Congratulations.

It is good to know that you hold his views in such high regard.

Here comes another dooms day prediction. Only if you knew about the history of this spin doctor "HAq sahib"

You are running away from reality and instead of providing cold hard facts you are clinging to intangibles such as perception of cleanliness. The reality is Mumbai has a GDP equivalent of the entire nation of Pakistan.

I didn't realise you fought so dirty. Remind me never to get into close-quarters combat with you.

Here comes another dooms day prediction. Only if you knew about the history of this spin doctor "HAq sahib"

I do, very well. I used to get daily praise from Sabyasachi Majumdar, with whom the good doctor shared many jovial moments on Chowk, later on Desi Buk-buk. Unfortunately, those are not fora I frequent, so I lost many, countless gems.

Dono mulkon me logo k pass khaney ko pese nhn hain aur hamen aik dusre se competition ki parhi hai.
india se compare kerna zaruri hai kia? apne mulk ko tarakki dena zada zaruri nhn hai? bhar me gaya india.

Sahib-ji, jinko asal cheez par kabza nahin hai, woh to is tarah idhar udhar bhatkenge. Baki kya raha?

I do, very well. I used to get daily praise from Sabyasachi Majumdar, with whom the good doctor shared many jovial moments on Chowk, later on Desi Buk-buk. Unfortunately, those are not fora I frequent, so I lost many, countless gems.

Did you visit Pak Tea House

You seem to like Yaseer latif Hamdani and his " consociationism theory "

I know, but a very mass majority does not have enough income that there taxes would double our economy.
Creddit sussie uses a different method for middle class, if you own 1 million, you are middle class.
I believe quite a number of people who own a house would qualify as middle class than, because an average house would cost 1 million PKR.
The house I own is worth around 70 lac, I am not rich.
I have high doubts on this report.

What the innocent you are speaking to didn't put into the equation is that the unreported income of India is several times that of the reported income and would dwarf the Indian official figures, the Pakistani official figures, and the Pakistani unofficial (unreported) figures all put together. Be considerate and accommodating; it is such a heady thing to be on an Internet forum and to make such dramatic points.

"Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young were very heaven."

Meanwhile Punjab has triple the Nominal GDP per capita of Mumbai and that isn't even the richest Pakistani province.

Here in Pakistan; quality is more important than quantity.

40% of our economy is undocumented; meaning we could never know the real numbers until we slowly begin to regulate the economy.

It is quite possible, even probable, that you exceed the wealth of the United States. Why not? When we take the unreported into account and plug it into the reported, anything can happen. :D

Well if India was suppose to be our recognition of success then this is just pathetic. We need to bring our level to that of developed nations not India. If we want to stay dirt poor then we should keep comparing ourselves with indians,

I don't want to disagree with a rational statement like the one you made, but who are we to disagree with the vast majority?

I didn't realise you fought so dirty. Remind me never to get into close-quarters combat with you.

Well in that case why are you supporting his narrative? If international bodies and indicators are to be believed it isn't exactly all doom and gloom for the Indian economy.

For once maybe you can put your hatred for BJP and Modi aside and think about the country?

Well in that case why are you supporting his narrative? If international bodies and indicators are to be believed it isn't exactly all doom and gloom for the Indian economy.

For once maybe you can put your hatred for BJP and Modi aside and think about the country?

I think you should read my posts without yellow-tinted spectacles on. There are things to criticise, and there are things to praise, as always. I would rather criticise my own country's shortcomings and the wilful misdeeds of our politicians than have somebody else criticising them. As far as the rest is concerned, my posts will show, unless you are obsessed with digging for dirt, what I have to say on the whole.

And why should there be any conflict between my hatred of the BJP and Modi and the interests of the country? Peculiar 'bhakt' formulation.

Growth to well being...............................:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Another gem from Haq tailor made for Pakistanis ONLY.

Haq Tailor!

Tailor made! Brilliant. That totally sounds like some little darji ka dukaan in a shitty mohalla. Very apt in this case.

I think you should read my posts without yellow-tinted spectacles on. There are things to criticise, and there are things to praise, as always. I would rather criticise my own country's shortcomings and the wilful misdeeds of our politicians than have somebody else criticising them. As far as the rest is concerned, my posts will show, unless you are obsessed with digging for dirt, what I have to say on the whole.

And why should there be any conflict between my hatred of the BJP and Modi and the interests of the country? Peculiar 'bhakt' formulation.

But are they really shortcomings? Did you even bother to go and have a look at the report which OP referred to before giving your dooms day prediction?

Do you know that "growth to well being coefficient" was just one of the many indicators used? Did you know India is better than Pakistan in every other indicator than this one? Did you know that report is based on data from 2012, back when neither BJP or Modi had anything to do with the Indian economy and government policies!

Of course you didn't, why bother doing all that when you just conveniently blame everything on Modi and unleash your tirade against the current government, just because it doesn't align with your political leanings. Should I say typical "pseudo intellectual, pseudo secular brigade" formulation?

The only thing I am obsessed with is fact checking, with you being an academician I wish and hope that you were too.

But are they really shortcomings? Did you even bother to go and have a look at the report which OP referred to before giving your dooms day prediction?

Do you know that "growth to well being coefficient" was just one of the many indicators used? Did you know India is better than Pakistan in every other indicator than this one? Did you know that report is based on data from 2013, back when neither BJP or Modi had anything to do with the Indian economy and government policies!

Of course you didn't, why bother doing all that when you just conveniently blame everything on Modi and start your tirade against the current government, just because it doesn't align with your political leanings. Should I say typical "pseudo intellectual, pseudo secular brigade" formulation?

The only thing I am obsessed with is fact checking, with you being an academician I wish and hope that you were too.

I say this very patiently: look at my other posts. Don't go off like a rudely-shaken soda-water bottle. Read the entire series first.

info.png

Pakistan is kind & compassionate to refugees - Beats the world:
No nation comes close!

I say this very patiently: look at my other posts. Don't go off like a rudely-shaken soda-water bottle. Read the entire series first.

There is no "series of posts" to read, you just brandished the OP as an India basher and then went ahead and joined him in his spin doctoring ways.

You didn't even glance at the report in question, you went on a tangent ranting about Delhi and Bihar state elections and what not, essentially giving the OP more fodder(though irrelevant) for India bashing. Nevermind the fact that the report was based on data from UPA2's time.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom