What's new

Pakistan Scores Better Than India in Translating GDP Growth to Well-Being

You know you are clutching at straws when you are cheering about the relatively unheard of metric "Growth to well being" .

When India is beating you by every other metric, what can you do?

Yeah Sure India is beating us in poverty , More pollution . dirtier cities , more slums , Less access to electricity , poorer sanitation and I can keep on with the list.

Yeah Sure India is beating us in poverty , More pollution . dirtier cities , more slums , Less access to electricity , poorer sanitation and I can keep on with the list.
larger population= larger number of those living in poverty/without electricity/living in slums.

But what about as a % of the population? India has it down to 12%, what about Pakistan? What about brining people out of poverty? India is doing so at a rate of around 10 million people a year, what about Pakistan? India has a policy to house every citizen by 2022, what about Pakistan? India is adding the equivilent of Pakistan's entire national grid to its own every single year, what is Pakistan doing to increase energy production?

larger population= larger number of those living in poverty/without electricity/living in slums.

But what about as a % of the population? India has it down to 12%, what about Pakistan? What about brining people out of poverty? India is doing so at a rate of around 10 million people a year, what about Pakistan? India has a policy to house every citizen by 2022, what about Pakistan? India is adding the equivilent of Pakistan's entire national grid to its own every single year, what is Pakistan doing to increase energy production?

By 2018 there will be no power shortage in Pakistan . Thanks in part to the dozens of completed projects by then. Even in % Pakistan is above 90 % and india is 75 %( World Bank figures). That means quarter of your population has never experienced what's it like to have electricity.

For poverty just check world bank figures and come back to me and i am sure by % we are better miles.

As for bigger country being more dirty China has a bigger population than you , bigger by area and still 100 times more cleaner. Just accept that Indian's lack any cleaniless sense and like to garbage everywhere. Just compare Delhi , Mumbai , Kolkatta to Islamabad or Lahore and it will be like comparing third to first world cities. I think you might get a heart attack if you see the squeeky clean streets and boulevards in Islamabad or lahore :lol:

By 2018 there will be no power shortage in Pakistan . Thanks in part to the dozens of completed projects by then. Even in % Pakistan is above 90 % and india is 75 %( World Bank figures). That means quarter of your population has never experienced what's it like to have electricity.

For poverty just check world bank figures and come back to me and i am sure by % we are better miles.

As for bigger country being more dirty China has a bigger population than you , bigger by area and still 100 times more cleaner. Just accept that Indian's lack any cleaniless sense and like to garbage everywhere. Just compare Delhi , Mumbai , Kolkatta to Islamabad or Lahore and it will be like comparing third to first world cities. I think you might get a heart attack if you see the squeeky clean streets and boulevards in Islamabad or lahore :lol:
You are running away from reality and instead of providing cold hard facts you are clinging to intangibles such as perception of cleanliness. The reality is Mumbai has a GDP equivalent of the entire nation of Pakistan.

Dono mulkon me logo k pass khaney ko pese nhn hain aur hamen aik dusre se competition ki parhi hai.
india se compare kerna zaruri hai kia? apne mulk ko tarakki dena zada zaruri nhn hai? bhar me gaya india.

You are running away from reality and instead of providing cold hard facts you are clinging to intangibles such as perception of cleanliness. The reality is Mumbai has a GDP equivalent of the entire nation of Pakistan.

I just told you the hard facts about your poverty , pollution and electricity and i can go on about more things. If you like to feel bad i can quote world bank figures for you but on my smartphone so cant be bothered.

Pakistan 's GDP is around double of its formal reported economy. Mumbai 's economy is in PPP not nominal.

Yes and doesn't change the fact that there is more equality in Pakistan , better distribution of money , bigger middle class by percentage and richer by GDP per capita till 2009 (more than 95 % of Your existance).

Credit suisse report recently. 40-50 % of our economy is unreported. Credit suisse report puts it at $495 billion.

What makes them think that our economy is unreported 40-50%?

Because its a fact that most of our population dont pay taxes . Its not rocket science.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/973649/pakistan-has-18th-largest-middle-class-in-the-world-report/

I know, but a very mass majority does not have enough income that there taxes would double our economy.
Creddit sussie uses a different method for middle class, if you own 1 million, you are middle class.
I believe quite a number of people who own a house would qualify as middle class than, because an average house would cost 1 million PKR.
The house I own is worth around 70 lac, I am not rich.
I have high doubts on this report.

Growth to well being :rofl:

only on pdf.. There is nothing in the near future that's going to change the economic imbalance. Absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile Punjab has triple the Nominal GDP per capita of Mumbai and that isn't even the richest Pakistani province.

Here in Pakistan; quality is more important than quantity.

What makes them think that our economy is unreported 40-50%?
40% of our economy is undocumented; meaning we could never know the real numbers until we slowly begin to regulate the economy.

#BMI Research puts #Pakistan in top "10 emerging markets". Key Growth Drivers: #Auto & #Textiles #Manufacturing Hub http://read.bi/29mmYQT

"Pakistan will develop as manufacturing hub over the coming years, with the textile and automotive sectors posting the fastest growth at the beginning of our forecast period. Domestic manufacturing investment will be boosted by the windfall from lower energy prices compared to the last decade, and improved domestic energy supply."

A new report from BMI Research has identified the "10 emerging markets of the future" — the countries that are set to become new drivers of economic growth over the next 10 years.

BMI estimates that these countries will cumulatively add $4.3 trillion to global GDP by 2025 — roughly the equivalent of Japan's current economy.

In general, manufacturing and construction are the sectors that will drive the economies. BMI reports that new manufacturing hubs are set to emerge in Bangladesh, Myanmar, and Pakistan, and that these countries will see particularly strong growth in exporting manufacturing industries. And construction growth is going to be widespread throughout all the countries — partly to facilitate increases in urban populations and partly to help develop the manufacturing sector.

On the other hand, extractive industries — like mining, oil, and gas — are going to play a far smaller role in driving growth than they have the past 15 years.

While it might provide bright spots for some countries, the report states, "the ubiquitous commodity-driven growth model that was derailed by the 2012-2015 collapse in commodity prices is not coming back."

Spotlight: Construction of great corridor catapults #Pakistan into fast track - Xinhua | #China #CPEC http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-08/01/c_135553346.htm

With an investment of 46 billion U.S. dollars and scores of infrastructure projects, the ongoing construction of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is undoubtedly one of the largest endeavors now taking place on the planet.

Roads, energy projects, industrial parks and the Gwadar port are all included in the basket, satisfying Pakistan's immediate needs as well as helping the south Asian country get back on its feet after years of anti-terror campaigns wrecked its economy.

Three years after the initiative on the construction of CPEC was jointly announced by China and Pakistan, Xinhua has learned that the project is yielding its early fruits as new roads and power plants have put Pakistan's growth in the first gear.

------------

Located 20 km east of Pakistan's largest city of Karachi, the Bin Qasim power plant is one of the pioneer and flagship projects of CPEC planned to begin operating at the end of next year.

For the coal-fired plant built by PowerChina, the Chinese construction company commissioned to undertake the construction of the project, two 660-megawatt generator units will be installed, which would generate 1,320 megawatts of electricity per year, more than a quarter of the 4,500-5,000 megawatts of power shortage estimated for the year 2012.

"With three more plants like this one, Pakistan would have no more energy woes," said Chen Enping, a manager at PowerChina.

----

For Sher Afzart, a shop owner in northern Pakistan's Hunza Valley, the Karakorum Highway is what he owes his livelihood to.

The two-lane highway, originally built by the Chinese in the 1970s and recently renovated by China Road and Bridge Corporation, connects Kashgar, a commercial hub in northwest China's Xinjiang Uigur Autonomous Region, and Pakistan.

Afzart can save days on trips to Kashgar to buy goods as the road cuts through the Karakorum mountains. There is a steady flow of business as thousands of Chinese workers labor around Hunza.

Following the completion of the Karakorum Highway renovation project, more business opportunities are created, Afzart said.

"With the convenience of road traffic, I'm thinking of opening branches in Islamabad and even in cities farther south," he said.

The Karakorum Highway is just one of the roads that falls under CPEC. The M-4 National Motorway, a strategic artery in central Pakistan, is also being paved by the Chinese.

-----------------

The Gwadar port, located in the southern coast of Pakistan, is where CPEC meets the Indian ocean. From here resources can commence their journey onto the hinterlands of Pakistan and western China, and Chinese and Pakistani products can be shipped out to every corner of the world.

Viewed from above, the port is like an anchor protruding into the emerald waters, forming two natural bays that are as deep as 14.5 m, making them perfect harbors.

After the CPEC cooperation program was launched in 2013, a plan was developed in the following years to comprehensively transform the fishing town into a modern metropolis complete with industrial zones, a harbor and recreational zones.

Gwadar Port Authority Chairman Dostain Jamaldini has big ambitions for the port, eyeing Dubai, which is just across the Arabian Sea, as a model.

Near future plans for the port area include the construction of a Free Trade Zone, a Special Economic Zone, a coastal expressway, an international airport and a pipeline linking Iran, which are all part of the CPEC plan remodelling the town which will be the hinge of the corridor.

"Pakistan is ready to offer the most generous terms for companies investing in the port," Jamaldini said, "We believe the favorable policies and the superb location of the port will soon attract the interest of investors worldwide."

Well if India was suppose to be our recognition of success then this is just pathetic. We need to bring our level to that of developed nations not India. If we want to stay dirt poor then we should keep comparing ourselves with indians,

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom