What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Oh you mean, "can we institute a cohesive developmental policy that syncs military requirements with our public and private sector capacities, and then break barriers between them to develop original solutions?"
Maybe?

Oh you mean, "can we institute a cohesive developmental policy that syncs military requirements with our public and private sector capacities, and then break barriers between them to develop original solutions?"

As more and more boomer and gen x retire and millennials and gen z take charge... hopefully.

@Yasser76 said it, the PN needs: 18 submarines, 12 destroyers, 20 frigates, 34 FAC(Ms).

We've willed the MILGEM with VLS, the Type 054A/P, and even the LRMPA, let's will this list too. I think we've got a 50:50 chance, let's do this people! (aircraft carrier people chill for a second, there are limits to this) :P
You left out the 40 Su-35s

If China is serious about CPEC and bypassing the Straits of Malacca, they will need to protect Gwadar like nobody's business. By this logic, a massive PN upgrade is inevitable. And China would have to foot a good part of the bill.

@Yasser76 said it, the PN needs: 18 submarines, 12 destroyers, 20 frigates, 34 FAC(Ms).

We've willed the MILGEM with VLS, the Type 054A/P, and even the LRMPA, let's will this list too. I think we've got a 50:50 chance, let's do this people! (aircraft carrier people chill for a second, there are limits to this) :P

I'm in favour of a UAV carrier - a 5000-7000 ton vessel suitable for fixed wing UAVs and a few helicopters (maybe even a few prop planes). :P I estimate that such a ship will cost about 300 million USD, as it has no real advanced weapons or sensors.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Bilal, do you realize the implication of what @Khafee is saying about the PN fleet and a new PN air arm?

Last edited:
What he is saying? :)

Interestingly sometimes similar things to what you are often saying : )

Massive expansion planned for PN. A new air wing something like a PLAN-AF with 150 total aircraft of all types. Very close cooperation (integration?) between PLAN and PN. J-15s in one more month will be in Pakistan. Growler-type J-15s in good numbers. Training of PAF pilots already under way in China.

The implication of what he is saying (although he did not explicitly state this) is that PN will get Destroyers as well. (my speculation)

Timeframe for the total 150 aircraft fleet (perhaps including naval drones, MPA, helicopters, etc) is within 2030. First J-15s arrive in 1 month from now. (he said 2 months but that was a while ago). COVID timeline may mean August.

Interestingly sometimes similar things to what you are often saying : )

Massive expansion planned for PN. A new air wing something like a PLAN-AF with 150 total aircraft of all types. Very close cooperation (integration?) between PLAN and PN. J-15s in one more month will be in Pakistan. Growler-type J-15s in good numbers. Training of PAF pilots already under way in China.

The implication of what he is saying (although he did not explicitly state this) is that PN will get Destroyers as well. (my speculation)

Timeframe for the total 150 aircraft fleet (perhaps including naval drones, MPA, helicopters, etc) is within 2030. First J-15s arrive in 1 month from now. (he said 2 months but that was a while ago). COVID timeline may mean August.
Here what I know and is very much confirmed:

1: Plans for LRMPA are there (currently two vastly different candidates are competing). Finalizing soon.
2: New UAVs and UCAVs with excellent endurance alongside abilities which are currently absent in South Asia.
3: A batch of 4 Frigates. If J-class is I-class then we are getting 4 Milgum and 4 J-Class. If J-Class is same as Milgum then PN will acquire Chinese options.
3: New helicopters. Neither from China nor from Russia, and definitely not from USA.
4: New Midget subs. How many, I don't know.
5: New fast attack crafts (news revealed few days ago).
6: New Missile Boats. (probably 6).
7: Series of new Missile Systems. Including new ones as well as new versions of existing arsenal.
8: New Destroyers, Type 52 DL on offer but so far Navy haven't finalized yet.

Some of the above deals have been inked, some are still in negotiation and planning phase. So its not necessary that every thing will materialize.
I have heard this rumor of J-15/J-16. But I don't want to count my chickens before hatching of eggs. PLAN-PN has formulated a comprehensive plan for securing IOR in coming decades from Indian centric and other state and non-state borne threats. And its better to let time and conditions decide the extent to materialization of these programs.

New helicopters. Neither from China nor from Russia, and definitely not from USA.

@Khafee suggests AW-101 from Italy.

New UAVs and UCAVs with excellent endurance alongside abilities which are currently absent in South Asia.

Ark Angel also reported that Pak is now exporting UAVs (UCAVs?) to Saudi Arabia and won against competition from Western systems.

Series of new Missile Systems. Including new ones as well as new versions of existing arsenal.

Ark Angel: Pak hypersonic development has exceeded all expectations.

1: Plans for LRMPA are there (currently two vastly different candidates are competing). Finalizing soon.
2: New UAVs and UCAVs with excellent endurance alongside abilities which are currently absent in South Asia.
3: A batch of 4 Frigates. If J-class is I-class then we are getting 4 Milgum and 4 J-Class. If J-Class is same as Milgum then PN will acquire Chinese options.
3: New helicopters. Neither from China nor from Russia, and definitely not from USA.
7: Series of new Missile Systems. Including new ones as well as new versions of existing arsenal.

1. Regarding LRMPA, Is Embraer Lineage1000 one of the two that you are reffering to? @PAR 5 has indicated that lineage1000 is already selected. What do you think about that?

3. Leaves only European Option. NH90 or AW101. As per @Rashid Mahmood PN is interested in AW101. And it makes perfect sense if only budget doesn't get in the way.

5&6.
I thought Fast Attack craft ARE the missile boats. What is the difference between them?

Ark Angel: Pak hypersonic development has exceeded all expectations.
Did he actually say hyper sonic?? I don't think so. Can you refer to the post?

Bro,
have you seen South Korea's Navy?

Sigh! You missed the point but never mind. Point was South Korean Navy, like PN, is focused around a regional defence role. More importance in giving to Army and Air Force in South Korea as they know this is where the war will be decided. Same case for Pakistan

1. Regarding LRMPA, Is Embraer Lineage1000 one of the two that you are reffering to? @PAR 5 has indicated that lineage1000 is already selected. What do you think about that?
As far as I know, Lineage 1000 is still one of competitor. There is another candidate.
3. Leaves only European Option. NH90 or AW101. As per @Rashid Mahmood PN is interested in AW101. And it makes perfect sense if only budget doesn't get in the way.
Probably. Considering the increasing number of vessels which can support helicopters, we will be needing to replace old fleet + expand modern helicopter fleet. AW101 is expensive. So is NH90. As far as I know, helicopter is not final either.
5&6.
I thought Fast Attack craft ARE the missile boats. What is the difference between them?
FAC: Fast Attack Craft carries 25mm or 30mm Gun as primary armament.
FAC-M: Fast Attack Craft Missile, carries Anti-Ship or land attack cruise missiles as primary armament.
Both are different in role and Type.

Did he actually say hyper sonic?? I don't think so. Can you refer to the post?
Must be Supersonic. Hypersonic is kinda shot of far future.

I hope the other option for LRMPA is Airbus 319/320neo.
As far as I know, Lineage 1000 is still one of competitor. There is another candidate.

Probably. Considering the increasing number of vessels which can support helicopters, we will be needing to replace old fleet + expand modern helicopter fleet. AW101 is expensive. So is NH90. As far as I know, helicopter is not final either.

FAC: Fast Attack Craft carries 25mm or 30mm Gun as primary armament.
FAC-M: Fast Attack Craft Missile, carries Anti-Ship or land attack cruise missiles as primary armament.
Both are different in role and Type.

Must be Supersonic. Hypersonic is kinda shot of far future.

Some of the above deals have been inked, some are still in negotiation and planning phase. So its not necessary that every thing will materialize.
I have heard this rumor of J-15/J-16. But I don't want to count my chickens before hatching of eggs. PLAN-PN has formulated a comprehensive plan for securing IOR in coming decades from Indian centric and other state and non-state borne threats. And its better to let time and conditions decide the extent to materialization of these programs.
Any chance of Type 54 A order getting doubled. Because I have a good hunch that both Type 54 A and MILGEM/Jinah class order will get doubled. I mean eventually it would be 8 each.

Any chance of Type 54 A order getting doubled. Because I have a good hunch that both Type 54 A and MILGEM/Jinah class order will get doubled. I mean eventually it would be 8 each.
They shouldn't double both. The PN bought the design rights to the Jinnah-class, so the appropriate outcome is for it to slot in additional Jinnah-class ships. In my opinion, they could look adding another 4 ships right away, and then another 4 ships on top of that to replace the F-22Ps by 2040.

Back
Top Bottom