What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

How many Frigates and Destroyers you are going to have in Future?
4 Type 054As+4 Milgems+4 F22Ps=12
Destroyers=0

India
Current Total 12+7 Nilgiri Class in Future+4 Admiral Grigorovich-class(Future) =23
Destroyers=11+4 Visakhapatnam (Future)=15

Damn... in That situation Pakistan has to order Destroyers and Frigates and start building to relieve pressure on Chinese navy who otherwise will be fighting Japan, USN and Australia... ... If properly conceived, Pakistan should be able to take on Australia and Indian Navy...

Does Pakistan strategic thinkers think from that point of view?

With the upgrade, do Pakistan believe that Naval balance can be achieved in Indian ocean. In any future conflict, Pakistan will side with China, and will be facing regional navies like Australia and India.

Australia?, for PN india is enough, and i don't think only 4 ships can balance PN with IN, In next 5-7 years IN will have 10 destroyers and 20 frontline Frigates as against PN's 4 t54 4 f-22 and 4 ada. So 30 on 12 is the game on surface.

How many Frigates and Destroyers you are going to have in Future?
4 Type 054As+4 Milgems+4 F22Ps=12
Destroyers=0

India
Current Total 12+7 Nilgiri Class in Future+4 Admiral Grigorovich-class(Future) =23
Destroyers=11+4 Visakhapatnam (Future)=15

5 destroyers will be decommissioned.
3 frigates of Brahmaputra class are of old design, obsolete in IMO. So 10+20

Damn... in That situation Pakistan has to order Destroyers and Frigates and start building to relieve pressure on Chinese navy who otherwise will be fighting Japan, USN and Australia... ... If properly conceived, Pakistan should be able to take on Australia and Indian Navy...

Not to forget India has 23 corvettes. Pakistan has only two of Damen

I wonder where those 8 x Elusive Submarines are, and why it is taking so much time for them to turn up.

"In addition, we have contracted for the acquisition of Hangor-class submarines from China, and in the second phase their construction is planned in-country, for which necessary upgrades of Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works Limited is in progress."

https://www.defensenews.com/intervi...f-talks-regional-security-and-tech-wish-list/

Pakistan 90% of the trade is through the sea. Thats why its more than important to revive route to China with High speed train and all weather road link to Kashgar silk route Trans China Europe train link...

8-) The 4 Type54 would be nice addition to Pakistan Navy , they waited 40 years to get a decent new ship

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic , I just don't see us getting any more ships in near time beyond what has been ordered and paid for already

The economic pressure is large on Pakistan due to Pandemic

May be 4 Azmat Class Missile Boast would be welcomed add-on as these can be made locally in Pakistan now

Australia?, for PN india is enough, and i don't think only 4 ships can balance PN with IN, In next 5-7 years IN will have 10 destroyers and 20 frontline Frigates as against PN's 4 t54 4 f-22 and 4 ada. So 30 on 12 is the game on surface.

5 destroyers will be decommissioned.
3 frigates of Brahmaputra class are of old design, obsolete in IMO. So 10+20

The PN future frigates in defensive posture can held their ground, as with 70+KM SAM and 600-700 KM range Harba Missiles should be enough to keep IN away from Pak ports. Pakistan shall have 11 capable submarines, 12 frigates, 4 OPVs, FACs in sufficient numbers. Further so far a squadron of JF17s equipped with 260 KM range cm400akg along with exocet equipped Mirages are also there(though require replacement for future).
Meanwhile as soon as Mirages are replaced by dedicated Naval jets then situation shall be far better, we should also not forget coastal batteries and radars network which is in process of growth. Further after 4 corvettes PN has plans to build it self heavier ships on same lines.

So IN has
3 Kolkota Class
3 Delhi Class
And will be building 4 Visakhapatnam class

These are true destroyers. While Rajputs are listed as destroyers, they are more in the realm of Frigates so i will list them as such

3 Rajputs
3 Shivaliks
Will have 8 Talwar
3 Brahmaputra class

So in the next 5 years or so IN will be made up of
2 AC
10 true destroyers
17 Frigates
8 Kilo
6 Scorpene (of which 4 will be AIP equipped)
4 U-209
1 Akula-II
1 Arihant

PN will consist of 12 Frigates
4 F-22P
4 Type 054A/P
3 Jinnah
1 Jinnah-modified (4th boat will be modified Pakistani design)

In addition to 11 AIP equipped Subs. 4 Azmat FAC/Light corvette, 2 Damen (probably will have a follow on order of 2), and 2 1500T PMSA cutters (which will be equipped with AShM).

These will be backed by a land based missile batteries and aircraft. Not enough to match IN toe to toes but enough to give it a very bloody nose

Any further frigate orders will likely be based on the modified Jinnah variant. Maybe up to another 4. I think perhaps in 5 years you may see an order for a heavy frigate (along lines of a 5-6000t ship like 054B aka Type 057) or a destroyer like 052D.

I think this was obviously planned by both Pakistan and China. The Chinese don't want to overstretch themselves by going too far in the Indian Ocean so they need an ally, which in this case is Pakistan. The geography of both countries means that the Indian navy is in the long term going to be flanked by Pakistan on the left and China on the right, creating immense strategic pressure.

So IN has
3 Kolkota Class
3 Delhi Class
And will be building 4 Visakhapatnam class

These are true destroyers. While Rajputs are listed as destroyers, they are more in the realm of Frigates so i will list them as such

3 Rajputs
3 Shivaliks
Will have 8 Talwar
3 Brahmaputra class

So in the next 5 years or so IN will be made up of
2 AC
10 true destroyers
17 Frigates
8 Kilo
6 Scorpene (of which 4 will be AIP equipped)
4 U-209
1 Akula-II
1 Arihant
Vishakapatnum class will replace Rajput class. Nilgri class (7) alongside new Talwar class (4) will be new additions in IN arsenal. All these fleet modifications will complete by 2030, not 2025.

Due to budget cuts, I expect more delays in Indian Naval modernization program. Godavari class will retire, Barahamputra class will be upgraded (provided funds are there), Delhi class is currently undergoing modernization and will accommodate Brahmos-N missiles. India lags behind in terms of mine sweepers and they also have to replace a large fleet of outdated Missile and Torpedo boats (which they call Corvettes).... So IN has to deal with two objectives, (i) replacement of outdated vessels and (ii) increment in number of operational vessels,... a task not so easy as projected by many on internet.
Any further frigate orders will likely be based on the modified Jinnah variant. Maybe up to another 4. I think perhaps in 5 years you may see an order for a heavy frigate (along lines of a 5-6000t ship like 054B aka Type 057) or a destroyer like 052D.
At best, we will have 4 destroyers and 12 frigates (alongside 16 Corvettes + FACM) by 2030 provided that all our plans are met on schedule. Couple this with other 11 Subs, 12 MPAs, and variety of new UAV/UCAVs and vast arsenal of missile systems, ... IA we will continue to reduce the power difference with that of Indian Navy each passing year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom