What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Gradually, we need to enhance capability as Indian Navy is already much ahead in terms of asset.
We need to match technological gap. I believe only option is to get whatever is available and whatever is in our purchase capacity.
Type 52 D will see its way into PN in couple of years

Gradually, we need to enhance capability as Indian Navy is already much ahead in terms of asset.
We need to match technological gap. I believe only option is to get whatever is available and whatever is in our purchase capacity.
Type 52 D will see its way into PN in couple of years
China has been discontinued type 054A. so it takes time to resume production.

But type 052D is still under construction. If Pakistan needs it. Its delivery speed is even faster than 054A.

The interesting thing is they are going to carry Z-20 i.e Chinese black Hawk?
?????
do you have any links?

as I know. Z-20 is prepared for type 052DL,055 and type 075.

I believe the Pakistani Navy leader is very interested in type 052D.

View attachment 615359 View attachment 615363 View attachment 615364

Interest is one thing. Can PN afford it is another. The 052D is a beast. But it also is 7500t with a complement of 280+. The cost of the ship and systems added to the operating and staffing costs may be prohibitive. I would love to see PN look at the 057 design by CSOC again which appears to be a 4500-5000t design with 48 VLS cells and 8 AShM. This ship would surely be able to hold the HQ-9. That being said, I think Pakistan would be better served in the long run making its own design (or acquiring the rights to modify one from Turkey or China) with at least 48cells VLS. Get G-40 Sam from Turkey and HQ-9 From China and put a combo of 32 HQ-9 and 64 G-40 along with capacity for 12-16 AShM.

This ship would surely be able to hold the HQ-9.
What about the 346A AESA radar?
007Zyiyfgy1gc0ta60i3tj31hc0u0h1l.jpg
7a353e23ly1gcfr5lvyekj21ha0u0e81.jpg

Interest is one thing. Can PN afford it is another. The 052D is a beast. But it also is 7500t with a complement of 280+. The cost of the ship and systems added to the operating and staffing costs may be prohibitive. I would love to see PN look at the 057 design by CSOC again which appears to be a 4500-5000t design with 48 VLS cells and 8 AShM. This ship would surely be able to hold the HQ-9. That being said, I think Pakistan would be better served in the long run making its own design (or acquiring the rights to modify one from Turkey or China) with at least 48cells VLS. Get G-40 Sam from Turkey and HQ-9 From China and put a combo of 32 HQ-9 and 64 G-40 along with capacity for 12-16 AShM.
I understand. All because of money.....
What do you think of type 054B? 5000t and 48 vls.

Last edited:
I read a thread awhile ago on Egyptian Navy. Tjey added a lot of platform quickly and now are hiring officers with half courses and still are short on manpower. We will be getting 8 subs, 8 frigates and corvettes too. That mounts to alot of hiring and training.

The 057 design had an integrated mast. There will be some type of AESA radar on it.

type-57-image01.jpg

I understand. All because of money.....
What do you think of type 054B? 5000t and 64 vls.

From my understanding the 057 design may actually be the 054B. It is yet to be seen. I haven't seen anywhere that the 054B will have 64 cells, but I have seen 48 cells listed somewhere.

Last edited:
No. If there will be Type 057 for PLAN, its SAM is still HQ-16.
That's is entirely possible, but who knows. My point is if this ship is in the near 5000t range, then it is likely large enough to host hq-9

My point is if this ship is in the near 5000t range, then it is likely large enough to host hq-9
China can build such warships only for export, but they are not what PLAN needs.

Besides, HQ-16 has the huge potential to increase its range.

The 057 design had an integrated mast. There will be some type of AESA radar on it.

type-57-image01.jpg

From my understanding the 057 design may actually be the 054B. It is yet to be seen. I haven't seen anywhere that the 054B will have 64 cells, but I have seen 48 cells listed somewhere.
Sorry. My mistake. 054B is 48 VLS.

Has been corrected. thank you.

China has been discontinued type 054A. so it takes time to resume production.

But type 052D is still under construction. If Pakistan needs it. Its delivery speed is even faster than 054A.

?????
do you have any links?

as I know. Z-20 is prepared for type 052DL,055 and type 075.
do you see question mark "?" at the end of my sentence?

type-57-image01.jpg

Conceptual art of Type 57 (Type 54B) but very promising.

152671437388214d4eb19e4.jpeg

Conceptual art of Type 57 (Type 54B) but very promising.

View attachment 615746
Yeah I have seen this too. The only issue I have with the Chinese ship is china's willingness to allow 3rd party weapons. If they can come up with a quad packed medium ranged missile then great, otherwise I hope they would allow PN to incorporate Turkeys future G-40 quad packed missile. Giving such a ship 32 HQ-9 and 64 medium range (40km) G-40 would make it pack a strong fleet level defense. Beyond that, I hope the the Type 054A will also consider moving to such a missile.

China can build such warships only for export, but they are not what PLAN needs.

Besides, HQ-16 has the huge potential to increase its range.
I beg to differ with the first part. The 057 artist rendition is what many people believe to be the Type 054B concept. If that is the case then they are intended to serve in PLAN. As for extending the range of HQ-16, the current range of the HQ-16B is 70km which is fairly good for a medium range missile. Maybe it could be extended to 100km but I don't see the utility of a long range HQ-16 when there is the HQ-9 already present. If anything they should look into quad packing a medium range missile with a 40-70km range as it would be a huge force multiplier.

Maybe it could be extended to 100km but I don't see the utility of a long range HQ-16 when there is the HQ-9 already present.
HHQ-9 is also increasing its range, and old versions would be knocked out.

Back
Top Bottom