What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

actually there are few active ships in PLAN in which PN might find interest in future to adopt as second hand purchase in few years like
2 Type-51C (operational with PLAN almost from 12-13 years)
2 Type-52B (operational with PLAN almost from 14 years)
2 Type-52C (earlier two examples, operational with PLAN almost from 13 years)
Type 051C DDG (hull 115, 116)
ecb3fa40741473214533.jpg

67b46571581473214552.jpg

Type 052B DDG (hull 168, 169)
20080810_7cd9d3085c1517efb618hsOpR39JKoW1.jpg

timg.jpg

Type 052C DDG (hull 170, 171)
Img420965957.jpg

20170424162631110.jpg

I know but this is the best we might be able to afford in next 5-7 years, during this time most of the above mention ships would have completed their 17-20 years of service in PLAN and might be required midlife upgrade to continue their services with PLAN, but I don't think Chinese Navy would be much interested in their midlife upgrades as the inclusion of new and modern DDGs would be more than sufficient to meet PLAN need for extended period in future.

In this case these ships with midlife upgrade would be useful for PN.

Why you want to walk backwards. If you wish to operating destroyer 7 years from now it will never more prudent to try get brand new Type 52D which is more modern . Though price tag of nearly billion dollar a concern yet future prove.

Why you want to walk backwards
plz explain
- First in respect of PN existing capabilities and the capabilities which PN would acquired in near future
- Secondly what better capability IN will have in next 7 years in terms of Frigates and Destroyers than these existing ships as mention in my post
If you wish to operating destroyer 7 years from now it will never more prudent to try get brand new Type 52D which is more modern .
First of all its not my wish but just a logical suggestion based on realised realities to acquire upgraded capabilities through midlife upgrades in cost effective manner.

plz explain
- First in respect of PN existing capabilities and the capabilities which PN would acquired in near future
- Secondly what better capability IN will have in next 7 years in terms of Frigates and Destroyers than these existing ships as mention in my post

First of all its not my wish but just a logical suggestion based on realised realities to acquire upgraded capabilities through midlife upgrades in cost effective manner.
You dont think you have enough experience in ship building in the next 7 years to design and develop a frigate/destroyer class instead of buying second hand?
Wouldnt that be more cost effective?

You dont think you have enough experience in ship building in the next 7 years to design and develop a frigate/destroyer class instead of buying second hand?
Wouldnt that be more cost effective?
PN should built at home with slow pace either the type 54 or the turkish one rather than shopping for second hand..turkish boat can be slightly enlarged for better payload..

Heavy destroyers are not needed IMO

NO .... reason ...??

1- We have not build any bigger size warship, our previous experience of F-22P is limited

2- Currently we are building the last Fast attack craft FAC of Azmat class

3- The other two project which Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works would take during this time would be Type-54 and Milgem corvette with the help of China and Turkey

4- So our experience would be limited to these ships and non of these will have fleet wide air defence capabilities which will become our immediate requirement after the completion of the current and future projects

5- We do not have ship base advance radar technology, EW and other naval subsystems including advance Naval steel required for Frigates and destroyers so in short we completely lack the ecosystem required to match the our Naval requirements indigenously

6- So during this time (5-7 years) it is better to get some second hand ships with midlife upgrades to meet our requirement and continue to establish local industry in parallel which will take longer time than 5-7 years.

Last edited:
Of course, PN's Type 054A can carry HQ-16C, but I am not sure whether PN has chosen it already.

It is said that PN's Type-54As will be same as PLANs have, so what configuration PLAN have for those ships??

NO .... reason ...??

1- We have not build any bigger size warship, our previous experience of F-22P is limited

2- Currently we are building the last Fast attack craft FAC of Azmat class

3- The other two project which Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works would take during this time would be Type-54 and Milgem corvette with the help of China and Turkey

4- So our experience would be limited to these ships and non of these will have fleet wide air defence capabilities which will become our immediate requirement after the completion of the current and future projects

5- We do not have ship base advance radar technology, EW and other naval subsystems including advance Naval steel required for Frigates and destroyers so in short we completely lack the ecosystem required to match the our Naval requirements indigenously

6- So during this time (5-7 years) it is better to get some second hand ships with midlife upgrades to meet our requirement and continue to establish local industry in parallel which will take longer time than 5-7 years.
I hope we come up with our own AK but a ship in future.

I have some hope from the Maritime technologies Complex and other complexes/bodies ... with increase in our continental shelf ... and CPEC activities (i hope they start lol)...PN is going to face tough challenges.

Producing Harbah CM,Babur Naval version,Babur SLCM... naval combat management systems etc... raises a flicker of hope.. lets see.

I hope we come up with our own AK but a ship in future.

I have some hope from the Maritime technologies Complex and other complexes/bodies ... with increase in our continental shelf ... and CPEC activities (i hope they start lol)...PN is going to face tough challenges.

Producing Harbah CM,Babur Naval version,Babur SLCM... naval combat management systems etc... raises a flicker of hope.. lets see.
our current strategy of developing ship base weapons and combat management system seems right as per our current capabilities, the other thing is that we are trying to absorb the design of small ships like FAC Azmat class and the current deal with Turkey for 4 milgem corvette and I hope we have modelled our Type-54A deal in the same way so that we could at least have basics of warships designing.

For our local shipbuilding industry we need a JV same like JF-17 programme for PAF, we need a similar programme for Navy in which we could become partner right from the design stage and could learn one or two things in development and integration of systems and subsystems for that design.

I dont think Pakistan has the necessary infrastructure to support heavy destroyers. Remember that the Spruance class destroyer was rejected (despite being given for free from the US) was on these exact grounds (did not have the funds to maintain or man the ship). You guys are talking about numerous ships. I think PN should shoot for more multirole light frigates (3000t range) and air defense heavy frigates (4500 to 5000t).

If you need to think about stop gaps, the major options would be acquiring the three OHP/Adelaides that are soon to be retired or look at acquiring the soon to be retired type 23s or lease 3-4 Type 054As, but i dont think that PN will need to do this.

Back
Top Bottom