What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

While i like the updates with the new radar and the CM-302 (although i hope they have more than 4 AShM) i would make a single but simple change. Move the Front Dome FC Radars that are over the hangar and place them in front of the Typ 726-4 chaff launchers and put a 24 cell FL-3000N launcher over the hangar.

The HD-1A might still be too heavy for the JF-17. To carry it airborne, the PAF will need a fighter with greater payload capacity.

Which is why if flankers are not available, which seems to be the case, many including @MastanKhan and myself have advocated for getting a dedicated heavy strike fighter for PN Like a modified JH-7BA/B as a replacement for the mirage Vs assigned to PN. Change the avionics to something along the lines of J-16s suite and you have a fighter which can function as a missile truck for the PAF/PN and protect itself at long ranges. It can be protected up close by JF-17 that are currently assigned to PN

Which is why if flankers are not available, which seems to be the case, many including @MastanKhan and myself have advocated for getting a dedicated heavy strike fighter for PN Like a modified JH-7BA/B as a replacement for the mirage Vs assigned to PN. Change the avionics to something along the lines of J-16s suite and you have a fighter which can function as a missile truck for the PAF/PN and protect itself at long ranges. It can be protected up close by JF-17 that are currently assigned to PN
We need to maximize the versatility of the JF-17; itsi already here, prevelant in high numbers, etc.

Perhaps the goal (instead of a dedicated platform) is to develop new munitions that fit with the JF-17; e.g., a conventional ALCM (similar to SOM) and a lightweight supersonic AShM.

The advantage of a lightweight, small supersonic AShM is that our ships could carry it in 2x4 cells again instead of 2x2.

We need to maximize the versatility of the JF-17; itsi already here, prevelant in high numbers, etc.

Perhaps the goal (instead of a dedicated platform) is to develop new munitions that fit with the JF-17; e.g., a conventional ALCM (similar to SOM) and a lightweight supersonic AShM.

The advantage of a lightweight, small supersonic AShM is that our ships could carry it in 2x4 cells again instead of 2x2.

That would be ideal, but the issue with a smaller supersonic missile would be range and punch. A smaller missile wont have the same kinetic energy (albeit it will be more than a similarly sized subsonic missile) but the range would likely suffer significantly vs a subsonic missile.

That would be ideal, but the issue with a smaller supersonic missile would be range and punch. A smaller missile wont have the same kinetic energy (albeit it will be more than a similarly sized subsonic missile) but the range would likely suffer significantly vs a subsonic missile.
That's true, but I'm really trying to parse it out, how much more would an air-launched supersonic AShM add to the equation? I know it'll add something, but if you have a supersonic AShM abord frigates, corvettes, FACs, submarines and ground vehicles, you will have many attack vectors. By adding the air, you're adding yet another vector, but is it a necessity? If you have fighters that can (with ship-based AAW) defend the surface and sub-surface vectors, isn't it enough?

Back
Top Bottom