What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

He is correct, and I said the same exact same thing just a few posts back. Said better AD is the Navalized HQ9 system Present on Chinese Destroyers as well as HQ-10 Short range SAMS (only present on Type 55). These are not present on Chinese frigates either, they use the same HQ-16 as ours will, however the most recent Chinese 054A frigate has been seen with new illuminators, it’s still using the same old HQ-16 system.
I said latest chinese frigates have better Air Defence (AD) which they do due to the newer illuminators. Maybe if i said 'better AD capability' it would be clearer. But at the end it's better Air Defence.
I’m not sure what the second part of your post means. Upgrading just the sensors and not the missiles?
I mean getting what chinese frigates have, i.e. new illuminators with as you said 'same old HQ-16'. As that is what causes the limitation in engaging smaller no. of targets which is a bigger issue than range. As for missiles and range etc. sure we need better in that area also but you yourself said it's not available yet.

Last edited:
Because it’s not ship based, the ship based version of it isn’t ready yet. This is the best version.
More over so far HQ9 perhaps also cannot be installed on lighter frigates due to VLS depth and weight requirements. But still AD of PN with mix of EU i.e Albatros and HQ16 shall be better than past.

More over so far HQ9 perhaps also cannot be installed on lighter frigates due to VLS depth and weight requirements. But still AD of PN with mix of EU i.e Albatros and HQ16 shall be better than past.

If those SAMs can take out incoming missiles at 20km range successfully then they are good to have.

If those SAMs can take out incoming missiles at 20km range successfully then they are good to have.
You are absolutely right, Chinese radars and missiles are always a mystery as u may not get even published data much for them.

Last edited:
He is correct, and I said the same exact same thing just a few posts back. Said better AD is the Navalized HQ9 system Present on Chinese Destroyers as well as HQ-10 Short range SAMS (only present on Type 55). These are not present on Chinese frigates either, they use the same HQ-16 as ours will, however the most recent Chinese 054A frigate has been seen with new illuminators, it’s still using the same old HQ-16 system.

HQ-10?

they are present on most new chinese vessels, not just the 055. including everything from 056 corvettes, 052D destroyers, to 001, 002 and 003 carriers and the LHDs that china has.

they arent on the frigates, but technically speaking it shouldn't be very difficult to do so if they wanted to, since they have it on both larger and smaller ships. these were probably only omitted from the 054A because these came out after they already started serial building the 054A so the design was already finalized before the HQ-10 was ready.

HQ-10?

they are present on most new chinese vessels, not just the 055. including everything from 056 corvettes, 052D destroyers, to 001, 002 and 003 carriers and the LHDs that china has.

they arent on the frigates, but technically speaking it shouldn't be very difficult to do so if they wanted to, since they have it on both larger and smaller ships. these were probably only omitted from the 054A because these came out after they already started serial building the 054A so the design was already finalized before the HQ-10 was ready.

they are on 054 replacing fm/80N

Until we fit VLS for Cruise Missiles in these ships sorry I am not happy. Even if they add 8 VLS for a cruise missile which has range of 1500 KM and it can hit targets like Benglaru and Chennai and Hyderabad and other major cities in India I would be happy
For Bangalore and Chennai we have better options brother

HQ-10?

HQ-10 is the short range SAM yes, I’m aware it’s present on other ships, I meant that HQ-9 is only present on Chinese destroyers (052 and 055), my bad.

1. HQ9 cannot be installed on smaller frigates.
2. HQ16B is a land-based missile. It has no naval version.
3. 054A has a high-speed data link. It can share the fire control radar of 052D&055 through CEC.
4. The range of HQ16A is really not as good as Barak 8, but the maxspeed of HQ16A is 4.5M and that of Barak 8 is 2.0M. Apart from F35 and F18, Ballack 8 can't chase any 4G&5G fighter.

Last edited:
With tot you can do wonders. But if Pakistan wants to keep its deterrence against India, it needs a quick economic recovery.
For ToT to be effective, receiving country needs to have basic understanding, research (capable research Universities) and industrial background. ToT is more like fill in the gap or a step in a long ladder. It doesn’t take long of ToT to become outdated.

For ToT to be effective, receiving country needs to have basic understanding, research (capable research Universities) and industrial background. ToT is more like fill in the gap or a step in a long ladder. It doesn’t take long of ToT to become outdated.
But we have institutions to receive TOT.
First we got agosta tot, now hangor class,this will help us in our SSN project.

We got Tomahawk,and made much more from it.air launched, submarine launched,ship launched harbah,land attack babar.one missile gave us so much why? because we had institutes to reverse engineer it.
After babar class corvette we went for Jinnah class which will be completely built in Karachi.
We received CH 3 tech,we made shahpar series, started azm project.
We recieved joint venture tech from Al khalid tank,and made ak 1 on our own and AK 2 is on the way.
So now we have institutions to receive technology and apply it on other projects.

Pakistan should sell navy ships because ships are useless and should buy armoured vehicles for army with this money
How about PN add wheels to ships and make it a duel purpose petrol boats. I heard Ships haul is way thicker than armored vehicles.
But we have institutions to receive TOT.
First we got agosta tot, now hangor class,this will help us in our SSN project.

We got Tomahawk,and made much more from it.air launched, submarine launched,ship launched harbah,land attack babar.one missile gave us so much why? because we had institutes to reverse engineer it.
After babar class corvette we went for Jinnah class which will be completely built in Karachi.
We received CH 3 tech,we made shahpar series, started azm project.
We recieved joint venture tech from Al khalid tank,and made ak 1 on our own and AK 2 is on the way.
So now we have institutions to receive technology and apply it on other projects.
Pakistan is taking baby step towards research and defense industry, what Pakistan lacks is dozens of Advance research universities where PhD students are doing breakthrough research in every field. This requires good amount of funding towards Graduate and doctorate level education system.

Back
Top Bottom