What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

Those are 324 mm light weight torpedo launchers. Any 533mm launchers that can launch something like the Soviet Type 65 or American MK-48 or European BlackShark. As the premier ASW of the PN, the installation of at least two heavyweight torpedo launchers on each side of the ship will allow the navy to counter submarines out to 50 km instead of the 20-22 km of these light weight Torpedos.

perhaps building another deck level on top of where the Anti-ship cruise missile launchers are currently located and placing these launchers on the current deck and moving the launchers up to the new upper deck. Leaving room to reload the launchers. Even carrying just 4 heavyweight Torpedos and 4-8 reloads would be a significant improvement to offensive ASW

Those are 324 mm light weight torpedo launchers. Any 533mm launchers that can launch something like the Soviet Type 65 or American MK-48 or European BlackShark. As the premier ASW of the PN, the installation of at least two heavyweight torpedo launchers on each side of the ship will allow the navy to counter submarines out to 50 km instead of the 20-22 km of these light weight Torpedos.
nope. they only use the YU-7

nope. they only use the YU-7

We should consider modifying the design to incorporate these heavyweight Torpedos to be able to deal with larger enemy surface and sub-surface vessels.

If it is too late to add this to the Type 054A design, it should be on any future destroyer and our FACs.

FACs could operate further out under AAW cover provided by the destroyers or Type 054A frigates.

You can see the size difference between the current 324 mm launchers and the 533mm launchers.

BTW, most if not all Indian destroyers carry 533mm launchers and we should keep ship based ASW at least at parity if not better then our adversaries capabilities.

aa4705f4gy1gjij0k1inpj23341f84qq.jpg

Via @闻咲然 from Weibo

great news

now Pakistan ca provide air defence to other warships and even the coast

We should consider modifying the design to incorporate these heavyweight Torpedos to be able to deal with larger enemy surface and sub-surface vessels.

If it is too late to add this to the Type 054A design, it should be on any future destroyer and our FACs.

FACs could operate further out under AAW cover provided by the destroyers or Type 054A frigates.

You can see the size difference between the current 324 mm launchers and the 533mm launchers.

BTW, most if not all Indian destroyers carry 533mm launchers and we should keep ship based ASW at least at parity if not better then our adversaries capabilities.

it would be problematic due to the placement of the launchers. They are internal and behind them is a galley, would need redesign.

it would be problematic due to the placement of the launchers. They are internal and behind them is a galley, would need redesign.

Where do you think would be best to place such large torpedo tubes?

Where do you think would be best to place such large torpedo tubes?

Unfortunately i dont know enough about the layout of the ship, however, the MK48 ADCAP is almost 2x as long as the MK54, which the YU7 is based off of, looking at that, you can deduce there is nowhere near enough space on the ship to carry a larger launcher- atleast, in the designed space.
1603224739715.png

From what i can see, the deck is pretty packed, there is no space i can see that would not require significant modification. I think it is also probably for this reason that the larger torps like ADCAP arent carried on surface combattants.

Unfortunately i dont know enough about the layout of the ship, however, the MK48 ADCAP is almost 2x as long as the MK54, which the YU7 is based off of, looking at that, you can deduce there is nowhere near enough space on the ship to carry a larger launcher- atleast, in the designed space. View attachment 681194

From what i can see, the deck is pretty packed, there is no space i can see that would not require significant modification. I think it is also probably for this reason that the larger torps like ADCAP arent carried on surface combattants.

Perhaps modifying the space under the flight deck to accommodate the Torpedos. Even if we can’t fit two tubes facing each way. At least making room for one tube face each side (port and starboard) should give the ship the ability to engage enemy subs first and further out.

If the concern of not having a heavy weight torpedo is due to the relative short range of light torpedo, the solution to this worry has already been provided.

Yu-8, a hybrid missile torpedo was first sighted in 2015. It is a standard weapon on type 054A, covering the outer layer defense against hostile submarine, while the light weight Yu-7 covers the inner layer.

Yu-8 is launched as a normal missile, either on slanted rack or in a VLS. It is said to have a range of 180km, and can change direction while in flight. It is dropped into the water directly on top of or closely to the hostile submarine.

YU_10TORPEDO.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom