What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Looks good, But a question arise how much difference there is between F-22P and MILGEM Corvettes in term of armaments?
Good Q. Perhaps the strategy is for increasing the numbers plus the fact that F22P will be used for the long range patrol etc and the Milgem for coastal defence and patrols. Just my opinion.

Good Q. Perhaps the strategy is for increasing the numbers plus the fact that F22P will be used for the long range patrol etc and the Milgem for coastal defence and patrols. Just my opinion.
That could be one of possibilities.

Surface Fleet
4 F22P FFG
1 OHP FFG
4 Type 54 FFG
4 MILGEM Corvette s
Plus missile boats of various design

If and when there is a possibility, Pakistan ought to invest in the development of its military shipbuilding industry. Pakistan Navy must also look into expanding its bases "far away from Karachi & Port Qasim." Having all eggs in one basket is detrimental to the maritime security of Pakistan. Ormara Naval Base ought to be expanded, so should there be larger naval bases in Pasni or Jiwani.

If and when there is a possibility, Pakistan ought to invest in the development of its military shipbuilding industry. Pakistan Navy must also look into expanding its bases "far away from Karachi & Port Qasim." Having all eggs in one basket is detrimental to the maritime security of Pakistan. Ormara Naval Base ought to be expanded, so should there be larger naval bases in Pasni or Jiwani.
That is the point of ToT from Turkey. The thought is that 3 will ADA Class corvette, while the fourth will be the first Jinnah class Frigate meaning likely a more robust design with a better more versatile functionality. Likely will be an I-class variant (maybe with chinese vls) or a play off LF-2400. BUT Pakistan will own that design.

This seems very small....
Compared to 10 years ago when it was 5 type 21s and nothing else that is a wind change.

In 2008
5 Type 21 Frigates (woefully under armed)
2 A-70 sub
3 A-90b subs
Handful of FAC (Jalalat 1 and 2 class amd Jurrat class)

In 2022
4 F-22P
3 Ada Class Corvette
1 Jinnah class Frigate
1 OHP frigate
4 Type 054A/P
3 A-90B subs
8 Type 039C subs
4 Azmat Class FAC
2 Damen OPV

That is a huge turn around in 14 years. From 5 outdated large surface combatants to 13 (15 if you include the Damen vessels) relatively capable vessels (especially if F-22P gets an MLU). From 5 subs (2 of which are tremendously outdated) to 11 modern subs.

They are doing exactly as you say

Compared to 10 years ago when it was 5 type 21s and nothing else that is a wind change.

In 2008
2 A-70 sub
3 A-90b subs

In 2022
4 F-22P
3 Ada Class Corvette
1 Jinnah class Frigate
1 OHP frigate
4 Type 054A/P
3 A-90B subs
8 Type 039C subs
4 Azmat Class FAC
2 Damen OPV

That is a huge turn around in 14 years. From 5 outdated large surface combatants to 13 (15 if you include the Damen vessels) relatively capable vessels (especially if F-22P gets an MLU). From 5 subs (2 of which are tremendously outdated) to 11 modern subs.
What's the jinnah class?

In 2008
2 A-70 sub
3 A-90b subs

In 2022
4 F-22P
3 Ada Class Corvette
1 Jinnah class Frigate
1 OHP frigate
4 Type 054A/P
3 A-90B subs
8 Type 039C subs
4 Azmat Class FAC
2 Damen OPV

I think last Ada class is the first jinnah class .I might be wrong

Pakistan Navy will acquire 3+1 ship within the scope of MILGEM, not an ADA class.

After the completion of this program, the Pakistan Navy will start an indigenous frigate project again with the MILGEM infrastructure, most probably.

In other words, MILGEM and Type 54 investments will help to expand the Pakistan navy on the basis of the surface platform in the long term.

Last edited:
Pakistan Navy Flotilla comprising Pakistan Navy Ships KHAIBAR, RAHNAWARD, MADAGAR and Pakistan Maritime Security Ship ZHOB visited Doha (Qatar) on a goodwill visit. PN Flotilla is on a good will cum training cruise to brotherly Gulf countries.

49435381_2263527480595879_6489998340795662336_o.jpg

49650841_2263527397262554_8289705709310836736_o.jpg

Looks good, But a question arise how much difference there is between F-22P and MILGEM Corvettes in term of armaments?

Well, I don't know the functions and capabilities of F-22P but on Ada-class corvettes, the main declared functions of the ship can be found anywhere on web. But what I wrote below are what makes Ada-class unique, as a 2400 tonnes corvette. These functions are:
- EEZ surveillance and monitoring (limited maneuvering cability at sea state 6 and full at sea state 5 makes it an agile ship compared to its size as a corvette, first two ships of the class namely F-511 and F-512 have both training and combat deployment experiences in the Horn of Africa Indian Ocean which is very close to Pakistani waters)

- Electronic Warfare (Aselsan Ares 2N provides expanded electronic support measures to ship including long range low probability of intercept track, capability to track low signature radars and as well as high resistance against enemy EW)

- Lastly, Anti-Submarine Warfare (Ada-class corvettes are officially designated as ASW & Patrol vessels. The third and fourth ships of the class, unlike their predecessors who are armed with Sea Sentor SSTD, these ships and all the future variants including PN's are armed with Aselsan's Hızır torpedo defense system with an open architecture design, if there are demands PN's Ada-class ships can also be armed with hard-kill Tork anti-torpedo torpedoes which are in service in our submarine fleet)

The ship uses Netherland's Thales' SMART-S Mark II as its main radar system, a 3D PESA search radar produced under license by Aselsan so PN won't have problems to acquire it I suppose.

As a result, we can say that in terms of armaments and sensors, Ada-class corvettes make the front with its ASW, EW and patrol capabilities when compared to ships of similar class. There is one setback however which is air defense. Since the ship has no main role in providing air defense coverage it only armed with RIM-116 RAM missiles as a close in weapons platform, but this can easily be solved by re-designing the ship since the project already covers larger ships with additional air defense capabilities so engineering won't be an issue.

While having RAM would have been ideal (specifically the 22km RAM Blk 2) that will not be on the cards. The most likely solution will be a 24 cell FL-3000N (9KM/6km againt supersonic) or a Phalanx from the retiring type 21s. What i would love to see (though it will never happen) would be PN to approach Russia about designing a naval 18-20 cell air defense system, in the vein of RAM or FL-3000N, around the Pantsir 57E6-E. I know they have /are developing the Pantsir-M but that is an 8 cell unit with twin gatling guns.

Another option, if the rear location can handle 15t, would be the Tor-M2KM. With the 9M388 it would. Give you 16 missiles with a 15km range (in a vls setup). The limiting issue would be the ability to hold 15t above the hangar but space wise i think it would fit (2.5m x 7. 1m). 2 of these BTW wouldn't make for too bad a replacement for the FM-90 of the f-22p. Will replace 8 15km missiles with 32 15km missiles.

Back
Top Bottom