What's new

Pakistan Navy | News & Discussions.

Karachi, 22 December 2018:

Passing out Parade of 110th Midshipmen and 19th Short Service Course held at Naval Academy, Karachi. General Qamar Javed Bajwa, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) was the Chief Guest. Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi, former Naval Chiefs, large number of serving / retired officers and families of passing out officers witnessed the parade.
Naval Academy is also training cadets from our friendly countries, which include Bahrain, Jordan, Maldives, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Yemen. Some of whom are forming part of today’s impressive parade as well. My compliments to you and to your great nations on this success. I am confident that the training, you have received here will not only help you in serving your respective Navies with pride, but will also deepen the enduring friendship between our countries. I see you all, as Pakistan’s goodwill Ambassadors to your respective countries and wish you Godspeed, in your future endeavors.

DvAUFqtX0AA8fhx.jpg:large

Passing out Parade of 110th Midshipmen and 19th Short Service Course held at Naval Academy, Karachi. General Qamar Javed Bajwa, Chief of Army Staff (COAS) was the Chief Guest.

48411985_2255527368062557_734736786856607744_o.jpg

48398649_2255527391395888_3922439107103424512_o.jpg

48429312_2255527441395883_5447643484959801344_o.jpg

Sea Platforms

China begins work on Pakistan’s second Type 054A frigate

Andrew Tate, London - Jane's Defence Weekly

21 December 2018

China held a steel-cutting ceremony for the second Type 054A frigate for the Pakistan Navy (PN) on 19 December, marking the beginning of construction of the vessel at the Hudong-Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai.

The contract for two Type 054A frigates for the PN is believed to have been signed in 2017 and a further contract for two more ships was announced in June 2018, when it was also indicated that delivery of all four ships was expected to be complete by 2021.

The Type 054A has become the general-purpose workhorse of China's People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN), with a class of 30 ships either commissioned or under construction.

I saw the author before reading and my suspicions were right. It smells of cow patty
For an Indian analyst he is more balanced in his articles compared to others, ie he questioned authenticity of surgical strikes, openly states India has no military options against Pak.Kudos

Pakistan Navy's 054A/P frigate is likely to be equipped with SR2410C phased array radar and the export version YJ-12 supersonic AShM CM302. CGI by 西葛西 https://t.co/zyVzC6aaHW
View attachment 528362View attachment 528363View attachment 528364View attachment 528365

My biggest concern with these ships are its sensors. The SR2410C while interesting in that it can search and track 150 targets as well as act as a target illuminator for out to 60km for missiles, it has significant limitations.
Limitations include air targets over Mach 3 and at ranges of more than 150km.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/exoatm...02/15/sr2410c-3-d-multi-functional-radar/amp/
While i like the radar, it us meant to be a second layer in the medium range. Pakistan needs a longer range radar on this vessel. Something at leaast as long range as the SMART-S MK2 which this radar seeks to emulate in functionality. To give us more pause, this radar which is supposed to equip PNs best surface ship, its air defense ship. It is the same radar equipped on Bangladesh's Type 056 corvettes. It is a good second tier radar, even use it as a replacement for the type 345 fcrs if you must, but it being the main radar with a range of 150km is insufficient. While not as capable in functionality, the Type 360 Air search radar of F-22P still has range of 250km. While no doubt the SR2410C is more capable (air, surface, missile S/T amd target illumination, replacing numerous radars with one sensor) i think going with a Turkish SMART-S MK2 like the Algerians did would be more sensible.

My biggest concern with these ships are its sensors. The SR2410C while interesting in that it can search and track 150 targets as well as act as a target illuminator for out to 60km for missiles, it has significant limitations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/exoatm...02/15/sr2410c-3-d-multi-functional-radar/amp/
While i like the radar, it us meant to be a second layer in the medium range. Pakistan needs a longer range radar on this vessel. Something at leaast as long range as the SMART-S MK2 which this radar seeks to emulate in functionality. To give us more pause, this radar which is supposed to equip PNs best surface ship, its air defense ship. It is the same radar equipped on Bangladesh's Type 056 corvettes. It is a good second tier radar, even use it as a replacement for the type 345 fcrs if you must, but it being the main radar with a range of 150km is insufficient. While not as capable in functionality, the Type 360 Air search radar of F-22P still has range of 250km. While no doubt the SR2410C is more capable (air, surface, missile S/T amd target illumination, replacing numerous radars with one sensor) i think going with a Turkish SMART-S MK2 like the Algerians did would be more sensible.

Don't worry, these are not flagships. Next in line are destroyers, Insha Allah.

Don't worry, these are not flagships. Next in line are destroyers, Insha Allah.

I appreciate your optimistic view, but the next will not be destroyers (at least not in the vein of 052c or 055) the mext will be light frigates (Jinnah Class based on MILGEM as already confirmed, the 4th MILGEM will be the first Jinnah) and they will likely be followed by heavy frigate/light destroyers likely based on 054A but in the 5000-6000t range. Frankly i think that is the best move for the surface fleet for the foreseeable future.(a mix of heavy and light frigates).

That being said that is 15 years away and when you have distinct disadvantage in the nave realm and a ship that can go a long way in protecting your fleet, to hamstring it by selecting a radar system that belongs on a ship 1/3 the size is foolish. They would have beem better off getting the Type 382 that actually is standard on the 054A, or the SMART-S MK2.

PN doesnt currently need, nor can it support the operating cost of a heavy destroyer in the 7000t range. Remember the free 8000t USS Fletcher (Spruance Class) was rejected under hot transfer because PN didnt have the money or the manpower to staff and operate it. You are talking about multiple such ship. 20 years from now, maybe, but for the time being, focus on light frigates with around 12-24 VLS launched missiles and heavy frigates with 32 to 48 cells. Both with 6-8 AShM or more. Of importance in the mean time is acquisition of long range SAMs like HQ-9B and quad-packed medium range SAMs like SeaCeptor. In a large frigate with 48 cells, that could enable you to fields 32 long range SAMs and 64 short ranged SAMs, Or even add in VLS LACM or ASROC systems like Yu-8.

Last edited:
I appreciate your optimistic view, but the next will not be destroyers (at least not in the vein of 052c or 055) the mext will be light frigates (Jinnah Class based on MILGEM as already confirmed, the 4th MILGEM will be the first Jinnah) and they will likely be followed by heavy frigate/light destroyers likely based on 054A but in the 5000-6000t range. That being said that is 15 years away and when you have distinct disadvantage in the nave realm and a ship that can go a long way in protecting your fleet, to hamstring it by selecting a radar system that belongs on a ship 1/3 the size is foolish. They would have beem better off getting the Type 382 that actually is standard on the 054A, or the SMART-S MK2.

Well @Rafi may want to disagree with you.

Back
Top Bottom