What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

My guess is that it'd be a long-term effort. So, at least as many planes to ultimately replace the P-3Cs and a few additional aircraft to sit as attrition reserves. Perhaps 12?
That will good numbers, can serve for long time.

I think total of the type produced is around 30 so finding 12 out of the 30 will be an uphill task
There platform production is active, so new be produced in future

India has eight P8I POSEIDON in service, four have been ordered and ten are planned to be purchased. That is a total of 22 Jet LRMPA based on the length of their coast line.

PN total numbers at this time are classified. Maybe in a few years such revelations will come forth including the very COOL name of the new PN LRMPA bird that I’ve come to know recently.

But unless PN officially does a Press Release of the subject aircraft induction at PNS MEHRAN, there is not much I can reveal other than what is already available at OSINT

Are P-3C's not in good shape? Won't they continue to serve PN for years to come? I don't think most of them are even 15 years old yet.

Are P-3C's not in good shape? Won't they continue to serve PN for years to come? I don't think most of them are even 15 years old yet.

This is true they are not very old at all and will solider on for several years more inshallah !

Indian mainland coastline is 6,100 Km. However, Andaman & Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal and Laskswadeep Islands in the Arabian Sea are also Indian territories, this means that IN needs to patrol about 7,500 Km coastline. Additionally, Bay of Bengal Islands are between 800 to 1,000 Km from the Indian East Coast and Lakshadweep Islands are between 200 to 400 Km distant from the Indian Southwest coast. Whereas Pakistan coastline is merely 1050 Km long.

The need for the number of Maritime Patrol Aircraft for the Indian Navy is therefore far more than what is needed by Pakistan. Hence comparison between the numbers of LMP aircraft owned by the Indian & Pakistan Navies is meaningless.

The key question here should be “Do we have a sufficient number of maritime patrol aircraft to meet our security needs?” IMHO, we do.

seakings11april20082ep9.jpg

Indian mainland coastline is 6,100 Km. However, Andaman & Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal and Laskswadeep Islands in the Arabian Sea are also Indian territories, this means that IN needs to patrol about 7,500 Km coastline. Additionally, Bay of Bengal Islands are between 800 to 1,000 Km from the Indian East Coast and Lakshadweep Islands are between 200 to 400 Km distant from the Indian Southwest coast. Whereas Pakistan coastline is merely 1050 Km long.

The need for the number of Maritime Patrol Aircraft for the Indian Navy is therefore far more than what is needed by Pakistan. Hence comparison between the numbers of LMP aircraft owned by the Indian & Pakistan Navies is meaningless.

The key question here should be “Do we have a sufficient number of maritime patrol aircraft to meet our security needs?” IMHO, we do.

Yes in terms of numbers, a better comparison would be with taiwan (1500 km coastline) or S.korea (2400 km) they both have 15 mpa, however they employ a good number of UAV's as well.

So PN should go for more UAVs and upgrade p3's if possible otherwise go for alternate, since p3 are fairly old already.

All the P-3s are more than 20 Yrs old but that doesn't matter. All our C-130s are more than 50 Yrs old but are up and running. PN needs to upgrade P-3 fleet on lines as PAF is keeping the C-130 fleet updated.

Youngest P-3C in PN service was about 53 years old some 10+ years ago. All these have been Serviced for PN before delivery and are very capable platforms, except P8I has some new gadgets and is based on Jet Engine platform.

Correction: Was 25 odd years old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom