What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

Youngest P-3C in PN service was about 53 years old some 10+ years ago. All these have been Serviced for PN before delivery and are very capable platforms, except P8I has some new gadgets and is based on Jet Engine platform.

Correction: Was 25 odd years old.
31 Years Old (To Be precise) first P3 Built for Pakistan was in 1989.

https://www.falcons.pk/photo/Harbin-Z-9C-Haitun/1825

Photo-1825.jpg

IMO ... the PN is likely looking for 12 new ASW helicopters to support the Type 054A/P, MILGEMs and the OPV 1900s. Had there not been issues with the T129, I think the PN would've gone ahead with the AW159 as doing so would've resulted in engine commonality with the PAA. Yes, it would've been a pricey purchase ($500-600 m), but the PN may have managed it through batch purchases and installments.

However, since it's looking the ATAK is not a factor, then the PN might (as it had with the LRMPA) look at a more daring solution. In other words, they might pick a commercially available platform (e.g., AW139), and contract a third-party to configure it into an ASW-capable solution.

Ideally, we'd select the T625 and work it into an ASW platform, and then induct a huge slew of them for utility, SAR, troop transport, etc. Basically, 120-180 helicopters across the PN, PA and PAF as well as Gov't of Pak, Rangers, FC, etc. We would then build the backbone of our attack helicopter fleet with the T629, i.e., same engine, transmission and core parts as T625.

Last edited:
IMO ... the PN is likely looking for 12 new ASW helicopters to support the Type 054A/P, MILGEMs and the OPV 1900s. Had there not been issues with the T129, I think the PN would've gone ahead with the AW159 as doing so would've resulted in engine commonality with the PAA. Yes, it would've been a pricey purchase ($500-600 m), but the PN may have managed it through batch purchases and installments.

However, since it's looking the ATAK is not a factor, then the PN might (as it had with the LRMPA) look at a more daring solution. In other words, they might pick a commercially available platform (e.g., AW139), and contract a third-party to configure it into an ASW-capable solution.
What are the odds they bring back the Lynx and get an upgrade program going?

What are the odds they bring back the Lynx and get an upgrade program going?
The old Lynx? Unlikely IMO. tbh if the AW159 is as good as the hype, I think the PN is still inclined to getting it if the UK and/or Italy can run a credit line. Basically, 12 AW159s and 6 AW101s.

Ideally, we'd select the T625 and work it into an ASW platform, and then induct a huge slew of them for utility, SAR, troop transport, etc. Basically, 120-180 helicopters across the PN, PA and PAF as well as Gov't of Pak, Rangers, FC, etc. We would then build the backbone of our attack helicopter fleet with the T629, i.e., same engine, transmission and core parts as T625.

You cannot convert a civilian/ transport AW139 into an ASW Mission Helicopter (from any third party) WITHOUT having written approval and permission from Leonardo. During any sale, Leanardo takes a written guarantee from the Buyer that the purchased helicopters will be used only for transport and civilian applications. If anyone does convert it into a special mission platform than the required certification is not approved by Leonardo or its approved MRO's because of breach of end use.

How far away is the T-629 and T-625? I think Pak military is in a bit of a hurry. AW-139 is a good idea still,don't think Leonardo would make a hassle about fitting out. They are desperate to make a sale.

Back
Top Bottom