What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

The Turks are putting MAD on their ATR-72 MELTEM-III program and even Italy is using it for their P-72A, why are we not adapting something similar for RAS-72 Sea Eagle platform? It cannot be costing. So, ITAR? Or any other reasons?

IMO, having more capacity for sonobuoys and other detection/processing equipment is more beneficial than a MAD. The US navy agrees too, hence why you do not see an MAD on the P-8

IMO, having more capacity for sonobuoys and other detection/processing equipment is more beneficial than a MAD. The US navy agrees too, hence why you do not see an MAD on the P-8
Americans actually have more detection methods at play, with their ships, drones and satellites. And while they are not using AN/ASQ 508 on P8, they do have it on their SH-60 and SH-2 airborne platforms. They are also using drones as High Altitude ASW platforms with MAD onboard, in conjunction with the P8. Which means a single P8 can deploy multiples of these drones over a large area to look for a sub, instead of just carrying one big stick at its behind. This is a doctrinal difference.

While, I see Italians, Indians and Turks - all using MAD on their birds. The Turks and Italians specifically on the same platform as us. Which just makes me wonder, why are we not opting for it.

The only real difference between RAS-72 and MELTEMIII / P-72A program seems to be the MAD capability, rest of it is pretty much the same kit (albeit via different partners and I cannot comment on the processing capacity of computers on board, since I do not know it).

Last edited:
Since the ATR Meltem programma started in Turkey in 2008, the first has just been delivered I think in 2020? That means 12 years from start to first delivery. The RAS-72 has been a much more succesful project if you ask me. German precision?

Since the ATR Meltem programma started in Turkey in 2008, the first has just been delivered I think in 2020? That means 12 years from start to first delivery. The RAS-72 has been a much more succesful project if you ask me. German precision?
MELTEM-III program ran into delays due to an issue with their mission computer code, lost $50 million to it and program delays (as per public sources).

27th of June the next ATR72 of the Pakistan Navy (serial 77) will arrive in Germany for upgrade to RAS-72 Sea Eagle

Welche Waffen trägt dieses Flugzeug noch außer Torpedos,wie kann es sich gegen Jagdflugzeuge wehren ? Und was ist die Hauptmission, nur bekämpfung von U-Boote ? Verglichen mit anderen Flugzeugen dieser Klasse, ist es völlig unterbewaffnet im Angriff wie auch defensiv, außer sie können etwas anderes berichten?

Last edited:
well P8 are now being equipped with drone based MAD..so seems it has utility..

Welche Waffen trägt dieses Flugzeug noch außer Torpedos,wie kann es sich gegen Jagdflugzeuge wehren ? Und was ist die Hauptmission, nur bekämpfung von U-Boote ? Verglichen mit anderen Flugzeugen dieser Klasse, ist es völlig unterbewaffnet im Angriff wie auch defensiv, außer sie können etwas anderes berichten?

Lets keep it English, easier for the other readers... as far as I know, no defensive weapons can be carried against aircraft. But it has defensive capacities like chaff and flares, and likely some electronic countermeasures.

Lets keep it English, easier for the other readers... as far as I know, no defensive weapons can be carried against aircraft. But it has defensive capacities like chaff and flares, and likely some electronic countermeasures.

Thank you for answering, which version is More capabale the Germans or italian ? And which is cheaper ?

Thank you for answering, which version is More capabale the Germans or italian ? And which is cheaper ?

Both questions I can’t answer... I don’t have enough knowledge on the technical aspects. However, the Italians use new built aircraft, the German version (in the Pakistani Navy order) is being built in aircraft already used, so therefore it might probably be a cheaper solution.

Last edited:
The Turkish and Italian (initial 2 were -500s but all later ones are -600s) versions are also based on a newer platform, ATR 72-600, while the PN variants are based on the older model of the aircraft itself, the ATR 72-212 (which seemingly is the same as the 500 series). I think the biggest difference in the two are related to the cockpit and avionics. 600s have a full digital cockpit whereas 212/500s have a mix of digital and analog displays.

On the armament/capabilities side, Turkish variant seems to be the most advanced. Between the PN and Italian, I would guess that the Italian version would have better sensor suite, however, it does not carry any offensive armaments unlike the Turkish and Pakistani ATRs.

Which is the most capable, I will leave each to reach their own conclusions by looking at their sensor fits and so on.

Back
Top Bottom