What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

It has never happened before.
Army & PAF requirements for a helo is different than the PN.

However, this platform has all the versions just like the SH-60, and if in the future, we do intend to acquire these machines, then it can be acquired in all versions to suit the requirement of Army, Navy & PAF.

Actually happened with Aloutte III

is this powered by Ukranian engine?
They are powered by China's own WZ-10 engines.

Btw are these variants in production or are these artist rendition of planned versions?
Type 052DG DDG and Type 055 DDG are designed for these helicopters.

006vAw6Sgy1gagrcp5qg1j31hc0u0b29.jpg
9c069565gy1gff5avtkjrj23281sqb2l.jpg

I think PN should look towards taking a stake in Z-20F and build up the ship-board fleet from there. China will invest in shipboard helis as this an area that they lag behind. Z-9 are light helos. When the type 54 comes in, Z-20F would be a good choice to go for.
Which platforms of the PN can it be accommodated? Help appreciated

They are powered by China's own WZ-10 engines.

Type 052DG DDG and Type 055 DDG are designed for these helicopters.

View attachment 640433 View attachment 640434

Thank you for the reply. Wenever you have the opportunity or time can you please reply to my other question on Z-20F and its Assault derivative

Salam Araz Sb.:

IMHO and according to LKJ86 none, or it seem so. The only platforms we can equip them with will be the two Fleet Replenishment ships or to replace the Sea King operating from land for ASW/ASh/Commando role.

However, Sea Kings are still a very capable platform with automated ASW grid search and a powerful dunking sonar + the capability to launch AShM (Exocet).

If we can integrate these and other things than this helo is ITAR free and cost effective.

Thank you for the reply. Wenever you have the opportunity or time can you please reply to my other question on Z-20F and its Assault derivative

Salam Araz Sb.:

IMHO and according to LKJ86 none, or it seem so. The only platforms we can equip them with will be the two Fleet Replenishment ships or to replace the Sea King operating from land for ASW/ASh/Commando role.

However, Sea Kings are still a very capable platform with automated ASW grid search and a powerful dunking sonar + the capability to launch AShM (Exocet).

If we can integrate these and other things than this helo is ITAR free and cost effective.
IMO the AW189K is the dark horse candidate.

It's basically the AW149, but with a non-ITAR engine from Safran.

Same goes for U.S military but they sat down together and figured out how they can solve this problem. We can do same if we put our minds to it.
It has never happened before.
Army & PAF requirements for a helo is different than the PN.

However, this platform has all the versions just like the SH-60, and if in the future, we do intend to acquire these machines, then it can be acquired in all versions to suit the requirement of Army, Navy & PAF.

Same goes for U.S military but they sat down together and figured out how they can solve this problem. We can do same if we put our minds to it.

We should.
It's the best way.

A common platform has many benefits.

Actually happened with Aloutte III

Yes it did.
I missed it.

and we trained our pilots with the Army Aviation due to this common platform.

IMO the AW189K is the dark horse candidate.

It's basically the AW149, but with a non-ITAR engine from Safran.
Yes it can be considered.

Presently only on the 2 tankers.
Later on the Type 54 if PN goes for a larger flight deck.

I hope that along with the local FFG, more Azmat class are produced locally. More importantly, if the local SAM system can be made to work. It's been in development forever.

The critical factor is building real subsystems like the Harbah.

Also a few more issues:

1. There is a huge gap in tonnage between the Azmat and the Yarmouk class. Something should be developed for a class inbetween them. A Corvette rather than jumping from FAC to a Frigate.

2. Rashid Mahmood discussing 052 is surprising for me. This suggests PN is interested in a completely different tragectory than everyone has assumed. It suggests PN is headed to become CPEC policeman in these parts. If 4x 052s come in, size wise Pakistan would become very competitive to the Indian navy.

3. There is such an emphasis on large purchases that the small boats seem to have been left out. Except that @Tipu7 dropped the bombshell of the Midgets. which means small coastal submarines, perhaps locally manufactured.

Back
Top Bottom