What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

The MMW's are coming IA, I just hope they have the Version 6 upgrades, which increases the range of the radar as well as Hellfire by 100%

https://www.flightglobal.com/helico...hunting-capabilities-in-august/138363.article

The MMW is coming IF we the helicopters. It is the helicopters that are in doubt right now. :)

Do you have any update if they have been cleared for delivery now? I have no such news.

As for PN ASW helicopter options, yes Z-20 can be an ideal platform as we can use them on-board ships, from shore and PA and PAF will be interested in acquiring a few as well. However the issue is that it is not a mature platform yet. I think we will see Z-9 with type 54 and a western platform for Milgem and shore based ASW helicopter fleet.

Pakistan Navy will definitely move ahead to Destroyer size vessels once it will complete its contemporary fleet modernization process.

Provided that Economic Support is available, PN will transform into a conventional deterrent and will be able to counter entire Indian Navy of future in case of conflict. Alongside procurements of new platforms, a wide array of missile systems will continue to develop.

What we see now - the projects of OPVs, subs upgradation, scout drones, Type-54AP, MPAs, AEWCS are initial phase of PN Modernization program. (2018- 2022).

Next phase includes J-class, New helicopters, Midgets, F22P overhaul, New AIP Subs, Destroyers, LR-MPA, MALE UAVs. (2022-2028).

There are atleast two confidential projects underway which will also complete somewhere within this time frame.
Confidential part is the interesting one, thanks for detailed reply.

It's not a confidential project.

My guess is Nuclear Sub.

What about AW 159?

7300E or 7500E are analogous to APS-143C(V)3 OceanEye on P8 I think. I am talking about AN/APY 10 which looks like anti sub radar on P8. P8 has 3 types of detection systems CAE AN/ASQ-508A magnetic anomaly detection (MAD) system, APS-143C(V)3 multimode radar and a global version of the Raytheon APY-10 surveillance radar.

It is a very good platform but at 46 million dollars/helo it is quite expensive. On top of that our experience with Lynx was not good. Italian Navy is not using it but Augusta/Leonardo is a partner in development and production.

Furthermore, the LHTEC CTS800 engines used on wildcat are produced by Honeywell in collaboration with Rolls Royce . I am not sure on approvals from US, if any, are required from.

Thx for sharing these pics. If I may ask, what are the rectangular fairings just below the pilot entry doors? Is it a side looking radar array of some kind or a flotation equipment panel?

Thx for sharing these pics. If I may ask, what are the rectangular fairings just below the pilot entry doors? Is it a side looking radar array of some kind or a flotation equipment panel?
Z-20J.jpg

Thx. So it is panels for flotation gear. There seems to be another hard point forward of the torpedo hard point. Do you by any chance know the purpose of it?

Bro IMO the only tech USA will release will probably be of the most benign category. Therefore, very futile or add limited benefits at most. They might give us some munitions or other tid bits but nothing significant. We should gather whatever few billions we have saved to try to start our own projects.

Either make the bigger project at home and get the subsystems through JVs or the other way around(let you judge since you probably know what approach is best in that regard).

But it is high time for Pak Mil-Ind complex to get off their behinds, stop making flops like dragoon and that pathetic Israeli Wildcat copy. And finally make products that are meaningful and the even the gora wants to buy from us instead us falling in their feet for overpriced products(which we could partially make at home and JV).

If Iran can do it with the whole world sanctioning them then I think we can too.
Provided they haven't been able to do anything in aviation. But in other areas they have done so much, with almost nothing.
If so, then the PN is moving towards a heavyweight/lightweight combination, i.e., AW101 (heavy/shore-based) and AW159/AW139 (light/ship-based). But I reckon AW159 is contingent on the PAA receiving T129s, since they'd share the same engine (and can use the same MRO facility at PAC). Now, if the AH-1Zs are coming through, then perhaps the CTS800 for the ATAKs are following too, which paves the road for AW159.

Thanks for the info. interesting details in all pics.

I have as usual some questions. In the first pic what is aft of the torpedo. It looks like some kind of drogue with its own pylon?

The second pic seems to be depicting two version of Z-20, one a naval version of assault/troop carrying helo maybe optimized for sea operations for marines. The other is an ASW/ASh version. If you can for the readers here, translate the Chinese into English the text (Hidden I guess or not shown here) against each number please? This will enhance the understanding of the readers greatly as to the capabilities of the platform.

Furthermore, the pic with a red banner on top has the same helo showing perhaps a sono buoy dispenser built into the aft side of the helo just before the tail assembly merges into the main body of the craft?

And sir can you elaborate on the flat roofed dome aft of the engine exhaust on the tail and the chin mounted dome. Presumably both are some kind of radars, but can we have description or types of radar. Also there is a another flat dome on the bottom center line where presumably there should have been an arrester hook for the RAST.

Btw are these variants in production or are these artist rendition of planned versions?

Sir if we have this info. we can enhance our understanding and capabilities of this excellent evolving platform.

If so please tell Army and AF to get it as well. So they have commonality and scale. Other wise our aviation fleets are always too mix n match.

It has never happened before.
Army & PAF requirements for a helo is different than the PN.

However, this platform has all the versions just like the SH-60, and if in the future, we do intend to acquire these machines, then it can be acquired in all versions to suit the requirement of Army, Navy & PAF.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom