What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

Atr attack capability is limited to Anti sub torpedos ?? Or Missile harpoon, Exocet etc are also integrated giving it Stand off attack capability

Not sure [emoji848]

Avionics wise it is ahead of p-3 with Aesa radar

Do P-3C and ATR 72 have the same role???
The official designation of the PN’s ATR-72 MPA is ‘Sea Eagle’ and is slated to replace the PN’s aging F-27 Fokker MPAs.

66037764_472679850194804_6957929538726658048_n.jpg

The Sea Eagle is configured with the following:

* Leonardo’s Seaspray 7300 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar;

* Aerodata AG’s AeroMission mission management system;

* Elettronica’s electronic support measures (ESM) system;

*FLIR Systems’ Star SAFIRE III electro-optical and infrared (EO/IR) turret;

* anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capability through two torpedo hardpoints.

The official designation of the PN’s ATR-72 MPA is ‘Sea Eagle’ and is slated to replace the PN’s aging F-27 Fokker MPAs.

Considering that there’s an AESA radar on board i am wondering if these ATRs will work as airborne warning systems for the PAF too..

Besides the aircraft platform, the main difference between the Saab Swordfish and this Sea Eagle configuration is that the Swordfish has a MAD and it uses Saab's CMS. Otherwise, they're virtually identical (same radar, ESM and even EO/IR).

For its LRMPA requirement (to replace the P-3Cs), it wouldn't surprise me if the PN simply uses the Sea Eagle configuration (with MAD and AShW capability) on board a bigger plane, like the Bombardier Global 6000 or the Embraer E195.

Considering that there’s an AESA radar on board i am wondering if these ATRs will work as airborne warning systems for the PAF too..
I think the PN's using those radars as over-the-horizon surface targeting sensors for the smaller ships, like the FAC(M).

I think the PN's using those radars as over-the-horizon surface targeting sensors for the smaller ships, like the FAC(M).

Thank you for your response. Is it possible, in theory, for these AESA radars on the ATRs to be used for aerial surveillance too though?

Besides the aircraft platform, the main difference between the Saab Swordfish and this Sea Eagle configuration is that the Swordfish has a MAD and it uses Saab's CMS. Otherwise, they're virtually identical (same radar, ESM and even EO/IR).

For its LRMPA requirement (to replace the P-3Cs), it wouldn't surprise me if the PN simply uses the Sea Eagle configuration (with MAD and AShW capability) on board a bigger plane, like the Bombardier Global 6000 or the Embraer E195.

how significant is the absence of MAD on the Sea Eagles?

Back
Top Bottom