What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

That looks interesting. However by the pictures you shared, in the first one it clearly show as having two engines but in second one there is some confusion as we can see four marks.
View attachment 232633
now the Y-7 do not have it. Also it have a swept tail wing. But the way the engines are set on the wings in first pic, the way half of them is shown behind the wing as well is typical of Y-7 (that is not the case in Y-8) It is totally lost to me what this plane could be. Hope its not one of those Fokkers :P the design looks EXACTLY like that.

@fatman17 any insight sir?
It is not a Chinese aircraft but F-27's.

PN F27.jpg
F-27_200-400_pakn_03.jpg

It is not a Chinese aircraft but F-27's.

View attachment 232637 View attachment 232638
WEll that is the Fokker i mentioned, it looks exactly the same
Hope its not one of those Fokkers :P the design looks EXACTLY like that.[

0649091.jpg

The design perfectly fits the bill, tapered wings, two engines and two fuel tanks explaining the four marks in the picture, engine body extending on both side of wing as in picture, the same tail wing and all other features.

However the thing "what the heck is that plane doing flying there" these were retired and replaced as far as i remember.

WEll that is the Fokker i mentioned, it looks exactly the same

0649091.jpg

The design perfectly fits the bill, tapered wings, two engines and two fuel tanks explaining the four marks in the picture, engine body extending on both side of wing as in picture, the same tail wing and all other features.

However the thing "what the heck is that plane doing flying there" these were retired and replaced as far as i remember.

Not all F27's have been replaced. I do see some taking off and landing.

The ones that were replaced by ATR-72's were the ones used as transports. Hence if you may recall there was a new requirement of PN to buy 3 more ATR-72 and to upgrade the old ones costing about $300mil.

Last edited:

Retired from PIA, PAF / PN VIP transportation but still active Maritime Patrol Activities ... These Fokker are recently upgraded with FLIR and other advance sensor systems.

The ones that were replaced by ATR-72's were the ones used as transports. Hence if you may recall there was a new requirement of PN to buy 3 more ATR-72 and to upgrade the old ones costing about $700mil.

Retired from PIA, PAF / PN VIP transportation but still active Maritime Patrol Activities ... These Fokker are recently upgraded with FLIR and other advance sensor systems.

I know about ONE that was upgraded back i 2008 but after that there were reports that they are being replaced by ATR-72. As you said, may be all were not phased out.

So then it surely is a F-27 Fokker and not Y-7.

That looks interesting. However by the pictures you shared, in the first one it clearly show as having two engines but in second one there is some confusion as we can see four marks.
View attachment 232633
now the Y-7 do not have it. Also it have a swept tail wing. But the way the engines are set on the wings in first pic, the way half of them is shown behind the wing as well is typical of Y-7 (that is not the case in Y-8) It is totally lost to me what this plane could be. Hope its not one of those Fokkers :P the design looks EXACTLY like that.

@fatman17 any insight sir?
Yep that's F-27 alright
2.JPG

The ones that were replaced by ATR-72's were the ones used as transports. Hence if you may recall there was a new requirement of PN to buy 3 more ATR-72 and to upgrade the old ones costing about $700mil.

$700 million. That can't be right. That is 80% of the navy's total budget.

In my humble opinion the figure is probably $70-million. Additionally 'zero' an error.

In my humble opinion the figure is probably $70-million. Additionally 'zero' an error.

The figure of $700 mil was supposed to be $300 mil.
It was a typing error.

This amount of $300 million is not from the PN Budget but Special Funds to upgrade and buy new ATR-72's

"Additional Defence secretary Rear Admiral Mukhtar Khan said that National Security Committee has approved in principle the project to acquire eight Chinese submarines. Financial negotiations for the same are in advance stages. He further said that Pakistan navy requirement of special funds of $ 294 million to upgrade/induct ATRs aircraft has been approved by Ministry of Defence in consultation with the finance division. Summary has been submitted for approval of National Security Committee."
Govt approves purchase of 8 Chinese submarines, six ATRs aircraft for Pakistan Navy

Rashid why do you think the PN have opted to go for funding the ATRs rather than looking to replace the 2 zOrions lost at Mehran? Matter of priorities?

Rashid why do you think the PN have opted to go for funding the ATRs rather than looking to replace the 2 zOrions lost at Mehran? Matter of priorities?

2 of the P3Cs were in dilapidated state anyway, they were to be replaced and USA wasn't letting any more through.
So i guess PN is now building a smaller but secondary ATR fleet where the upgrades and air frames would be available from European firms.

ATRs were bought to replace the aging F-27s.
P-3Cs were part of the FMS and with no replacement option.
PN would go for 2 more Orion's if available, but are not at present.

ATRs were bought to replace the aging F-27s.
P-3Cs were part of the FMS and with no replacement option.
PN would go for 2 more Orion's if available, but are not at present.
There is also talk about getting the Chinese platform as replacement for P-3C's. Do not know if there is any progress...

Back
Top Bottom