What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

1648143592717.png

If PN is dropping the AW platforms then more then likely talks have already taken place for Z-20 with positive response / feedback. In this scenario, IMHO the odd probably be high for PA to also acquire Z-20 to replace older UH-1s and or PUMA Helis, now depending upon numbers needed could there be the possible chance of local assembly ?

If PN is dropping the AW platforms then more then likely talks have already taken place for Z-20 with positive response / feedback. In this scenario, IMHO the odd probably be high for PA to also acquire Z-20 to replace older UH-1s and or PUMA Helis, now depending upon numbers needed could there be the possible chance of local assembly ?
Very much doubt local assembly.

No UH1 in PA. Bell 412s

If accurate, then it's not surprising. The PN always liked the S-70i/UH-60R. One platform that can handle everything from shipborne ASW/AShW to CSAR/SAR, general utility, and commando/troop operations. Currently, the Z-20 is the closest to that from a concept standpoint. But I think the Z-20's availability is a serious blocker as the PLAN probably has a massive backorder.

If accurate then I would say this is not a good move.

1) We will be first non-Chinese user of a relatively unproven platform
2) We will need to now set up a seperate logistics/training pipeline
3) We will also now need to pay for integration and testing of western systems on the Z-20 that can be compatible with MILGEM systems, this will take time and money.

Should of gone for Augusta set up.

3) We will also now need to pay for integration and testing of western systems on the Z-20 that can be compatible with MILGEM systems, this will take time and money.

May I know what do you mean by “unproven”? AFAIK, we select a platform based on the parameters we set. Z-20 is as unproven as a Z-10 but I believe they’ll undergo rigorous testing and if need be, tailored in accordance with our needs, before induction.

May I know what do you mean by “unproven”? AFAIK, we select a platform based on the parameters we set. Z-20 is as unproven as a Z-10 but I believe they’ll undergo rigorous testing and if need be, tailored in accordance with our needs, before induction.

As far as I know the naval variant has not seen widespread operational service unlike the Wildcat. Yes, we will tailor it for our needs but that will cost time and money, the western choppers are ready right now to fit in with the MILGEMs.

Z-20 Seems like a great Platform , not as sleek as pretty as Augusta
It is a Practical Multi Purpose Chopper

JF17 and J10 were also unproven 12 years ago but now there are 150+ Thunders and 200+ J10 fying world wide with Thousand of proven hours

1648394426529.png

If Z-20 is not immediately available the Italian Choppers would be ideal choice

The Augusta Choppers are still good for Land based transport recon role

Last edited:
China will not give local assembly..

May be cost is the issue and uniform plateform for all forces

Z-20 Seems like a great Platform , not as sleek as pretty as Augusta
It is a Practical Multi Purpose Chopper

JF17 and J10 were also unproven 12 years ago but now there are 150+ Thunders and 200+ J10 fying world wide with Thousand of proven hours

View attachment 827892

If Z-20 is not immediately available the Italian Choppers would be ideal choice

The Augusta Choppers are still good for Land based transport recon role
In coming years we need replacement of Mi 17 as well for PAA as well

China will not give local assembly..

May be cost is the issue and uniform plateform for all forces

Yes, maybe cost but Z-20 looks like a big and expensive machine, it will bring yet ANOTHER helicopter type into Pakistan armed forces though.

I thought it may of been a good idea for all of PAF/PA/PN to standardize on the AW139 as their medium lift chopper but PN has thought otherwise....,

Yes, maybe cost but Z-20 looks like a big and expensive machine, it will bring yet ANOTHER helicopter type into Pakistan armed forces though.

I thought it may of been a good idea for all of PAF/PA/PN to standardize on the AW139 as their medium lift chopper but PN has thought otherwise....,
IMO it is "another type" added into the mix for the short term...in the long run PAF and PA can also standardize on this platform.

Back
Top Bottom