What's new

Pakistan in talks for 4 Ada Class Corvettes, T-129 Helicopters & modernization of agosta fleet

Ultimately, I think the AAW-capable Ada is basically the LF-2400, i.e. with a slightly lengthened hull and VLS aft of the stack.
I'm just pointing out how people obsess about larger ships for the purpose of AAW, while this is not strictly necessary.
It may require some capability trade-off though.

Last edited:
I'm just pointing out how people obsess about larger ships for the purpose of AAW, while this is not strictly necessary.
I prefer a ship can do everything, especially for a developing country.

A ship doesnt have obvious capacity shortage.

Demonstration Of Ada Class Corvette

Demonstration of Ada Class Corvette . .
Pakistan Intend to buy these under the agreement of ToT(Transfer of Technology) from Turkiye. . . These Corvettes are totally based on Western Systems and Standards and would be adding a considerable punch in Pakistan Navy's strength . .
Strategical Journal
If this contract including TOT, I think PN shall go for it without any hesitation.

It is a beauty.

I prefer a ship can do everything, especially for a developing country.
This ship can in principle to everything (ASW, ASuW and AAW) for itself and immediate consort ship.

If you want a longer AAW - that is, AAAW for AREA anti-air warfare - then you need a bigger ship. Likewise if you want to have a meaningfull land-attack cruise missile capability and expanded ASuW capability. Expanded ASW too would mean a larger ship to accommodate an extra helicopter(hangar) and/or adding something like VL-ASROC etc. Let alone, if you want all three of these optional expansions of capability.

The reality is, however, that funds are never unlimited. And certainly not for PN. PN faces the problem of block-obsolescence of its ex-RN Type 21s (with the 4 F22P mainly used to expand the number of ships in the fleet). So, with additional cheap OHPs no longer likely to be forthcoming, going for a bigger, more capable new ship may well mean you will not be able to acquire or build enough ships to effectively defend you area of interest.

Realistically, those are the trade-offs

RAM block 2 will see range increase from 9km to 22.5km. It can be used not just against air-argets (incl. antiship missiles) but also against surface targets.

Last edited:
It may require some capability trade-off though.
Absolutely. In any case, the MILGEM Ada is a good platform, the core design can evidently be expanded to include additional capabilities. If and when funds are available, the PN could expand to the LF-2400 or I-Class without diverging too far from the logistics and infrastructure channel of the Ada.

I am in love with this ship , it will be a outstanding punch to PN for-sure.

Absolutely. In any case, the MILGEM Ada is a good platform, the core design can evidently be expanded to include additional capabilities. If and when funds are available, the PN could expand to the LF-2400 or I-Class without diverging too far from the logistics and infrastructure channel of the Ada.
Bilal is it possible that in a flotilla pn could have one ship dedicated to AAW? Say 2 F22 2 Ada and one dedicated AAW Ada? Can a vls be made above ship surface say like starting from ship floor rather than sinking into the ship ?

Bilal is it possible that in a flotilla pn could have one ship dedicated to AAW? Say 2 F22 2 Ada and one dedicated AAW Ada? Can a vls be made above ship surface say like starting from ship floor rather than sinking into the ship ?
They might be able to strap 2-cell Mk56 VLS sets externally in some areas of the ship, e.g. outside/around the hangar.

But instead of having a helicopter dock , have external VLS? Is it feasible? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
Yep it'd be a modular piece. But I'd prefer placing 8 Mk56 cells in various parts of the ship in general, so the AAW element is always there.

Pn had always stated frigrates and corvettes combination the only thing is corvettes are going to be more expensive and perhaps more modern plus requires less resource 99 vs f22 almost 200 curious what is Ada out to see duration in weeks 3-4 weeks it depends on amount of rations , water, fuel pn any way wants just to cover its Arabian Sea and not desire to go out

check k130 pice,its too expensive 2.5 billion euro for four ship

Sources: Turkey to ink 'largest ever export deal for local industry'

By: Burak Ege Bekdil, May 10, 2017

ada-class.jpg

(Photo Credit: U.S. Navy/MC2 John Herman)

ISTANBUL — The Turkish government is about to finalize its efforts to ink two major naval export deals totaling between $1.5 billion and $2 billion, official sources said on condition of strict anonymity.

“This will be the largest ever export deal for Turkey’s local industry,” one source said.

An official from Turkey’s procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM in its Turkish acronym) did not comment, saying that it would be up to the government when and how to announce such big deals. But a senior shipyard executive confirmed “matured” talks with both countries. “The government will announce it when it thinks is the good time to announce.”

The official source said one of the deals, with Saudi Arabia, would involve the sale of at least two I-class (Istanbul-class) MILGEM corvettes or frigates. Industry sources said each vessel, coming in at 3-3.5 tons, would cost between $300 million and $500 million.

Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik said recently that a big export deal with Saudi Arabia would soon be finalized, but he and other officials kept the content of the deal top secret. A Defense News report on May 3 speculated that the deal may involve naval platforms.

At the beginning of the year Turkey began constructing the first I-class frigate for the Turkish Navy. The TCG Istanbul will be the country’s fifth locally designed warship after four Ada-class anti-submarine corvettes under the MILGEM program. Turkish officials said the MILGEM program was 65 percent Turkish.

The I-class frigate now going to Saudi Arabia is variant of the Ada-class corvette with a longer hull (by 14 meters) and heavier displacement (3,000-tons vs. 2,400-tons). It has similar anti-submarine warfare capabilities but also features a vertical launch system for a medium-range surface-to-air missile. It has 16 additional sub-sonic anti-ship missiles compared to eight on the Ada-class vessel.

The I-class frigate will be configured with a Mk.41 vertical launch system with the RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile. Both classes of vessels will be armed with one 76 mm main gun, two 12.7 mm guns, Mk. 46 lightweight anti-submarine warfare torpedoes, and RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile. It will also feature a hangar and flight deck for a naval utility helicopter.

The official said the deal with Pakistan, valued at about $1 billion, will involve four Ada-class ships weighing 2-2.5 tons.

“We cannot offer a vessel with Sea Sparrow missile capabilities to a non-NATO country,” the official said. “Hence the suitability of the Ada-class vessels for Pakistan.”

Turkey substantially saved in its I-class program by re-using the Ada-class platforms. Naval experts also say hull commonality will lead to maintenance savings in infrastructure.

Turkey’s naval industry has flourished in recent years. The production of the TCG Anadolu, Turkey’s first amphibious assault ship, kicked off recently.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that the Landing Platform Dock LPD program would hopefully be the first step toward producing a “most elite” aircraft carrier. Then he upped Turkey’s naval ambitions that the country would also need a nuclear vessel.

In 2013, Turkey announced that it had selected the local shipyard Sedef for its LPD program. In the LPD contract, Sedef is partnered with Spain's Navantia.

The planned amphibious assault vessel will carry a battalion-sized unit of 1,200 troops and personnel, eight utility helicopters and three unmanned aerial vehicles; it also will transport 150 vehicles, including battle tanks.It may have an aircraft platform for vertical takeoff and landing. A ski jump at the front of the deck can be used to launch fighter aircraft. Industry sources estimate the cost of the contract at over $1 billion.

Under the original production plan the 231-meter-long vessel was to be completed within five and a half years. But Erdogan urged Sedef to deliver the vessel within four.

Sources: Turkey to ink 'largest ever export deal for local industry' | Defense News

Sources: Turkey to ink 'largest ever export deal for local industry'

By: Burak Ege Bekdil, May 10, 2017

ada-class.jpg

(Photo Credit: U.S. Navy/MC2 John Herman)

ISTANBUL — The Turkish government is about to finalize its efforts to ink two major naval export deals totaling between $1.5 billion and $2 billion, official sources said on condition of strict anonymity.

“This will be the largest ever export deal for Turkey’s local industry,” one source said.

An official from Turkey’s procurement office, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM in its Turkish acronym) did not comment, saying that it would be up to the government when and how to announce such big deals. But a senior shipyard executive confirmed “matured” talks with both countries. “The government will announce it when it thinks is the good time to announce.”

The official source said one of the deals, with Saudi Arabia, would involve the sale of at least two I-class (Istanbul-class) MILGEM corvettes or frigates. Industry sources said each vessel, coming in at 3-3.5 tons, would cost between $300 million and $500 million.

Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik said recently that a big export deal with Saudi Arabia would soon be finalized, but he and other officials kept the content of the deal top secret. A Defense News report on May 3 speculated that the deal may involve naval platforms.

At the beginning of the year Turkey began constructing the first I-class frigate for the Turkish Navy. The TCG Istanbul will be the country’s fifth locally designed warship after four Ada-class anti-submarine corvettes under the MILGEM program. Turkish officials said the MILGEM program was 65 percent Turkish.

The I-class frigate now going to Saudi Arabia is variant of the Ada-class corvette with a longer hull (by 14 meters) and heavier displacement (3,000-tons vs. 2,400-tons). It has similar anti-submarine warfare capabilities but also features a vertical launch system for a medium-range surface-to-air missile. It has 16 additional sub-sonic anti-ship missiles compared to eight on the Ada-class vessel.

The I-class frigate will be configured with a Mk.41 vertical launch system with the RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile. Both classes of vessels will be armed with one 76 mm main gun, two 12.7 mm guns, Mk. 46 lightweight anti-submarine warfare torpedoes, and RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile. It will also feature a hangar and flight deck for a naval utility helicopter.

The official said the deal with Pakistan, valued at about $1 billion, will involve four Ada-class ships weighing 2-2.5 tons.

“We cannot offer a vessel with Sea Sparrow missile capabilities to a non-NATO country,” the official said. “Hence the suitability of the Ada-class vessels for Pakistan.”

Turkey substantially saved in its I-class program by re-using the Ada-class platforms. Naval experts also say hull commonality will lead to maintenance savings in infrastructure.

Turkey’s naval industry has flourished in recent years. The production of the TCG Anadolu, Turkey’s first amphibious assault ship, kicked off recently.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that the Landing Platform Dock LPD program would hopefully be the first step toward producing a “most elite” aircraft carrier. Then he upped Turkey’s naval ambitions that the country would also need a nuclear vessel.

In 2013, Turkey announced that it had selected the local shipyard Sedef for its LPD program. In the LPD contract, Sedef is partnered with Spain's Navantia.

The planned amphibious assault vessel will carry a battalion-sized unit of 1,200 troops and personnel, eight utility helicopters and three unmanned aerial vehicles; it also will transport 150 vehicles, including battle tanks.It may have an aircraft platform for vertical takeoff and landing. A ski jump at the front of the deck can be used to launch fighter aircraft. Industry sources estimate the cost of the contract at over $1 billion.

Under the original production plan the 231-meter-long vessel was to be completed within five and a half years. But Erdogan urged Sedef to deliver the vessel within four.

Sources: Turkey to ink 'largest ever export deal for local industry' | Defense News

Just to bring awareness, Burak Ege Bekdil is highly disliked in Turkish Defence Sphere.
There's even a thread to make people aware of him - https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/burak-ege-bekdil-professional-liar.464028/

Back
Top Bottom