What's new

Pakistan in peril of succumbing to Iran-style Islamic revolution: Study

Wow....Do you get now?
This country is destroyed by BB and Sharif.

Yes .. I do now .. thank you for asking .. and yes you are right .. everyone but you destroyed this country ..

Are you willing to risk your own life and that of your family to stop such a takeover from occurring? The Iranian mullahs captured the Revolution by teaching the virtues of martyrdom to their followers, slaying all who could politically oppose them, and terrifying everyone else. What have you got?
There will be a lot of Pakistanis willing to walk that mile. We will and we already have shoved a big stick up any one enforcing any sort of Theocratic rule in Pakistan. Things are and will only turn towards Secularism not the other way round.

Mullahs don't have the firepower to take over by force. They don't have the votes to take over through politics. I think America has a better chance of turning into a Christian State than Pakistan turning into a theocratic Islamic state given the amount of Christian Bible thumping Politicians. Not to forget the previous "Crusading" American President.

Save one very4 fixed elections in 2002, the Mullahs got a crushing defeat in every election.

The fact that Times of India has a vested interest in peddling this line of thought is well known.

You just derailed the thread.
Now please explain Islamic revolution of Zia!
What was forbidden? which shouldn't have been?
All i remember when he died BB came over and all rules remain prettymuch same and so on.

if Zia would have open nightclubs than some one would be blaming him for that!
BTW... red light areas continue to work, alcohol factories continue to run, films continue to be screened, i remember cinemas use to show **** english movies openly..... what was Islamic about it?

I think you did not lived in Pakistan while Zia was rulling!

Have you been living under a rock, Zia's Islamization had serious implications for our country. Read this from Wikipedia to understand how his policies affected the country in a negative manner.

Zia-ul-Haq's Islamization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was a pawn in US grand Operation Cyclone and because of his american backing, he was able to push for all these laws in our country that resulted in sectarian violence, ethnic clashes, mass immigration, minority laws being curtailed and major regression from the progress that was achieved before.

So what if all that you say continues to work illegally, did it make a difference when all that was legal and the government enjoyed revenue from it. Did our film industry not compete directly with those of India's and projected our soft power before Zia destroyed it. Did our Alchohol manufacturing companies not serve those who drink, it did not stop them but rather forced them to obtain their alcohol from criminals which provides them with funding for their illegal activities.

Even US officials were worried about his fanaticism and no leader since has been able to end the draconian rules he introduced. He even had public flogging which thankfully does not occur anymore.

Yet another study of the demise of Pakistan. This time the Mullah thingy as a reason.

How many studies are they gonna do and how many deadlines are they gonna give for the demise of Pakistan ??

Aren't they tired yet ??

Can't they do something better and do a study on how to get the world on the right path or fix the blunder created by US ??

Taimi you and me live in KP which is worst hit of all provinces viz a viz militancy and extremism related things still WE HERE SPECIALLY I BEING A FEMALE, NEVER FELT THAT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE ANY SUCH revolution.

These kinds of fears and neo-liberalism by some people in Pakistan as well due to their biased thinking is no more than paranoia.

some people mentioned zia era but i dont think so it was revolution or even can be termed anything near to that.

What these people now a days are preaching and spreading is NO different than religious extremism.

The bottom line is: Any kind of extremism be it religious or anti-religious is harmful in the long run.

So the best is what Islam says "Be on a moderate path" do not exceed limits.

I remember I couldnt get anything to eat in Ramzaan when Zia was there .. so yeah .. he destroyed this country ..

Before Aftari Or After???
Iska matlab hy Rozydaro ka rizak barh jata hy or khojy maro ka kam ho jata hy.

Taimi you and me live in KP which is worst hit of all provinces viz a viz militancy and extremism related things still WE HERE SPECIALLY I BEING A FEMALE, NEVER FELT THAT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE ANY SUCH revolution.

These kinds of fears and neo-liberalism by some people in Pakistan as well due to their biased thinking is no more than paranoia.

some people mentioned zia era but i dont think so it was revolution or even can be termed anything near to that.

What these people now a days are preaching and spreading is NO different than religious extremism.

The bottom line is: Any kind of extremism be it religious or anti-religious is harmful in the long run.

So the best is what Islam says "Be on a moderate path" do not exceed limits

Very thoughtful and one of your best posts in my view. Specially the bold part.. So simple but so easy to forget. :tup:

Not an Islamic 'revolution' per se, but with the continuing failures of the PPP led government, both actual and perceived, and a complete disconnect of the PPP top leadership in getting the 'optics correct' (Zardari launching his sons political career in London - is he going to be politicking in England or Pakistan?), I can see a shift towards a more conservative/Islamic government.

Seeing the liberal/progressive parties marginalized will be very disappointing, and I don't believe a possible rise to power of the conservatives would necessarily reflect the cultural and social views of many Pakistanis, but at the end of the day people want security, jobs, easy availability of basic goods and infrastructure first and foremost, and about halfway through its term in office, the PPP led coalition does not appear close to delivering.

I dont think an Islamic hardliner govt is anymore possible in Pakistan thru democratic process. People have started tasting the fruit of libralization. In my view, the only chance there could have been thru a repeat of Zia kind of coup, but with Kayani, I dont think thats possible as well.

I personally think that Democracy never got enough runway in Pakistan to prove itself. These pains of undelivered promises, corruption are a part of the growing up process of a democratic system. Sonner or later, the equilibrium is bound to ascertain itself..

My 2 cents...

Are you willing to risk your own life and that of your family to stop such a takeover from occurring? The Iranian mullahs captured the Revolution by teaching the virtues of martyrdom to their followers, slaying all who could politically oppose them, and terrifying everyone else. What have you got?

We had Sharia law once before and it was only enforced on some aspects of society and other aspects were completely ignored but the common man hated it regardless.

Lal Masjid incident was just a frightening example of the martyrdom crap that was being taught there. Musharraf thankfully crushed their operation.

What have i got?

Let's keep that in the trunk for now. :)

I pray Islamic revolution comes in Pakistan..... We are muslims. we have to follow Islamic laws and not the laws that are man made....

Insha Allah one day it will happen, this was the vision of Jinnah and inshaALLAH this will become the reality and all these our corrupt leaders will come to know what true leadership is....

I dont think an Islamic hardliner govt is anymore possible in Pakistan thru democratic process. People have started tasting the fruit of libralization. In my view, the only chance there could have been thru a repeat of Zia kind of coup, but with Kayani, I dont think thats possible as well.

I personally think that Democracy never got enough runway in Pakistan to prove itself. These pains of undelivered promises, corruption are a part of the growing up process of a democratic system. Sonner or later, the equilibrium is bound to ascertain itself..

My 2 cents...

The chances of the PML-N, TI and possibly even some of the Islamic parties in certain areas is not out of the question. The former two are not 'Islamic/conservative' in the sense that the hardcore religious parties are, but their election would reflect a shift towards a more conservative government.

Personally I think the PPP needs to lose, and lose big, otherwise it will have little need to look at reforming its dynastic internal politics. I still can't get over the Tamasha of Zardari 'launching' Bilawal's ostensibly 'Pakistani political career' in England ...

What better opportunity for Billawal to show he is interested in running the country and cares for it than to be on the frontlines of the flood relief effort volunteering.

Nonetheless, still plenty of time left for the next elections, and public opinion can shift. The important thing is for Pakistanis to believe in the process and for democracy to continue.

Revolutions, if needed, need to be brought about in the attitudes of Pakistanis when voting in elections - both in terms of increasing voter turnout, and also in terms not voting in favor of Biradri and the same old faces that keep disappointing.

I pray Islamic revolution comes in Pakistan..... We are muslims. we have to follow Islamic laws and not the laws that are man made....

Insha Allah one day it will happen, this was the vision of Jinnah and inshaALLAH this will become the reality and all these our corrupt leaders will come to know what true leadership is....

If a majority of Pakistanis believe this then they should have no problem supporting those candidates in elections that stand to enforce those values.

A revolution outside of the ballot box is anarchy, violence and the imposition of the will of a few committed ideologues over the majority through force. If you truly believe in what you espoused, then you would actively support and campaign in favor of candidates that share your beliefs - not advocate the anarchy of 'revolution'.

interesting that the author forgot about 1979. VERY important year.

Mecca takeover by armed militants; Pakistanis react to false rumours that it was Americans who staged the attack; US embassy was attacked, a U.S. personnel was killed, embassy was burned down to the ground.

that there would seem like a time for such a ''revolution'' to occur. But it did NOT. Meanwhile in Iran there was hostage crisis at US embassy. Interestingly enough, it was Iranian Ayatollah who spread the rumour about Americans doing the act.

yes, anti (or at least critical) sentiment against U.S. is high in Pakistan at the moment, as it was in Iran ---as U.S./West were keeping Shahi regime (similar to now, helping to keep PPP and gang in power).

an Iranian style revolution cannot take place in Pakistan. A lot of people in Pakistan talk about an inevitable revolution in the country. I don't see this as an Iranian style one, a theocratic govt. If anything, I feel Pakistanis will just demand a change in the ''system'' which is indeed rotten in many ways.

Theocratic state would not ensure end to corruption, feudalism, and end to other ills of society which are still existing. That is nonsense.

and God forbid we have Mullahs running the country....many, if not most of them are peaceful. But it goes against the founding of our country, which is to be a democratic and progressive state. Mullahs like the one in Iran would want repressive policies that would effect day to day life, and it wouldnt work in our country.

p.s. it is clear to me that ''Quadrennial Defence Review Independent Panel'' are not so ''independent'' and that they are having some kind of agenda when releasing a stupid, logic-devoid report like this

mere toilet paper

The chances of the PML-N, TI and possibly even some of the Islamic parties in certain areas is not out of the question. The former two are not 'Islamic/conservative' in the sense that the hardcore religious parties are, but their election would reflect a shift towards a more conservative government.

Personally I think the PPP needs to lose, and lose big, otherwise it will have little need to look at reforming its dynastic internal politics. I still can't get over the Tamasha of Zardari 'launching' Bilawal's ostensibly 'Pakistani political career' in England ...

What better opportunity for Billawal to show he is interested in running the country and cares for it than to be on the frontlines of the flood relief effort volunteering.

Nonetheless, still plenty of time left for the next elections, and public opinion can shift. The important thing is for Pakistanis to believe in the process and for democracy to continue.

Revolutions, if needed, need to be brought about in the attitudes of Pakistanis when voting in elections - both in terms of increasing voter turnout, and also in terms not voting in favor of Biradri and the same old faces that keep disappointing.

Bang on with the bold part. Making mistakes in selection is a part of the process and a right of the electorate. If someone else is telling you the right and wrong, its anyway not a democracy. Look at us. A lot of people in India believe that we have been selecting the wrong party for most of last 60 years :D

Back
Top Bottom