What's new

Pakistan denies visa to 1,400 Sikh pilgrims

SamantK

Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan has refused visas to SGPC-sponsored Sikh pilgrims to visit gurudwaras there during the Baisakhi this month.

While the embassy has given no reason for turning down visas to about 1400 pilgrims, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said it was a “Pakistan design to run down the SGPC” which has hurt sentiments of Sikhs world over.

The SGPC had forwarded the names of the pilgrims to the union home ministry earlier this month. Makkar said the Centre had, subsequently, handed over the names to the Pakistan embassy on April 4.

In the last about three decades, it is for the first time that the Pakistan embassy has said no to the SGPC jatha.

Every year the SGPC conducts five tours for Sikh devotees to Pakistan to help them pay obeisance at the gurudwaras in Pakistan.

Makkar said he would soon call on the Pakistan embassy officials to register his protest on the matter.

Pakistan denies visa to 1,400 Sikh pilgrims - India - DNA

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/news/...00-members-Jatha-denied-visa-by-Pakistan.html

Pakistan has refused visas to SGPC-sponsored Sikh pilgrims to visit gurudwaras there during the Baisakhi this month.

While the embassy has given no reason for turning down visas to about 1400 pilgrims, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said it was a “Pakistan design to run down the SGPC” which has hurt sentiments of Sikhs world over.

The SGPC had forwarded the names of the pilgrims to the union home ministry earlier this month. Makkar said the Centre had, subsequently, handed over the names to the Pakistan embassy on April 4.

In the last about three decades, it is for the first time that the Pakistan embassy has said no to the SGPC jatha.

Every year the SGPC conducts five tours for Sikh devotees to Pakistan to help them pay obeisance at the gurudwaras in Pakistan.

Makkar said he would soon call on the Pakistan embassy officials to register his protest on the matter.

Pakistan denies visa to 1,400 Sikh pilgrims - India - DNA

SGPC sees red as 1400 Jatha members denied visa by Pakistan Punjab News | Breaking News | Latest Online News

But as per latest news 1100 Sikh pilgrims already arrived in Pak and a second batch of 400 is yet to arrive.

Rules are already set, every Sikh gets a visa (at the time of religious events). Those who fail to get it usually have incomplete documents.

There must be a reason as pakistan has always been friendly towards sikh community. There might be security concerns.

Sikh pilgrims arrive in Pakistan for Baisakhi festival... Check zee news... I am unable to post links hence providing reference. There's no news regarding denial till now in Ndtv and Times as well.

I just posted what I saw being reported by many news channels.

No, i think it is just frustration to act in same manner.

I don't think it's frustration or something like that, reason could be security situation or embassy was provided with incomplete info. Both the countries have seen ups and downs in the relations but despite of the antagonisms Pakistan has always allowed Sikh pilgrims. As per Mr. Makkar (one who's being quoted) - In the last about three decades, it is for the first time that the Pakistan embassy has said no to the SGPC jatha..

Back
Top Bottom