What's new

Pakistan Army leads world forces with zero-percent suicide rate

KARACHI: Battling the scourge of terrorism for over a decade, the Pakistan Army has remarkably maintained zero-percent suicide rate within its ranks and files, ARY Newsreported.

Suicide rate among the forces engaged in armed confrontation is increasing all over the world. According to a leading Indian daily, 597 Indian troops committed suicide from 2009 to 2013, which takes the annual tally to 120 soldiers a year in India.

A British newspaper reports that 247 U.S. troops self-murdered themselves in the year 2012 alone, while this year only 222 American troops were killed in the battlefield.

The United States and India have been taking serious measures to prevent suicide cases in their forces.

Another British daily reported that in 2012, 50 serving or ex-army men self-destructed themselves.

An Israeli newspaper reported that 10 Jew soldiers committed suicide in 2014, out of which 4 troops remained a part of the fifty-days-long Israeli aggression on Palestine, which started in the month of July last year.

The Israeli army comprises of a total of 187,000 regular troops.
Pakistan Army leads world forces with zero-percent suicide rate | ARY NEWS

army2.jpg

Apart from this, Pakistan Army, engaged in the worst fight against terrorism, has remarkably maintained zero-percent suicide rate.

When asked, Colonel Shafique of the ISPR – military’s public relations wing – confirmed that not even a single Jawan of the Pakistan Army has ever committed suicide.

As much as the Islamic tilt within the Army gets bashed, the upside has been the immense morale boost amongst the troops. Suicide in general is looked down upon in Islamic societies.

I don't see where you come up with this last requirement.

Instead of army these should be owned and run by civilians. PA has no business inside the country. PA is using 180 Million Pakistanis to earn money by running profitable businesses in Pakistan.

Just see across the world. Tell me one civilized country where the army owns so many businesses?? Tell me one civilized country?? PA is no selfless or saint. It is a gang who controls several business groups across Pakistan by an iron hand and uses public sympathy over Kashmir, Border, Militancy etc to cover its business operations. It is the biggest corrupt army in world.

The business should be owned by the Pakistani awam and not army.

PA is not Tata, Birla. it should only protect the country. PA is in reality the biggest fraud in the life of Pakistani people.
PA owns the country, and 180 million people work for PA.

From another Pakistani.

I m not sure about salaries but as far land being allocated , i can give few examples.
a) Gen.Aslam Beg retired in 91 and he was alloted a plot near GHQ & PC on pindi mall and reported worth was 65crores.
b) Gen.Kakar retired in 96 and it was reported that he was alloted corps cmd quetta residence.
c) Gen.Mush , when came into power in oct 99 , he declared that he holds 7 plots in different parts of pakistan.
d) Just to give a tip of the iceberg , ASKARI Housing X , near lahore airport consists of around 3500 homes and its being alloted to retired officers . Price of a 4 bedroom one is around 80 Lacs at the moment.
e) As far as legality is concerned, no other department (wapda, railways , pia indulges in such looting).
f) I don't know about other countries but in Australia , when an ex service person applies for a home in DHA (yes, in autralia there is DHA as well ) he gets 2500$ discount.

Military Salaries and Expenditure « PKPolitics Discuss
The business is owned by the retired officers foundations. The GHQ does not get to dip into the FF, DHA budgets. The land is allocated to the GHQ by the GoP, the same as it is for the PAF, PN, Federal Government officials. This is a benefit that the GoP has sanctioned. The Army does not claim it by itself.

All officers, based on their pay grade, can opt for land as per the sanction of the Federal government of Pakistan. This is not illegal. Much of the land (the vast majority) was allocated at the outskirts. The Armed Forces reclaim it, develop it and offer amenities that are in demand through their housing authorities. This demand is what allows the officers to sell the land at good prices.

I have looked at this issues for the past 20 years, and I can tell, there is a lot of hyperbole about it. The appreciation of these properties is due to the interest of the civilians. Most DHA's accommodate civilians now.

Instead of army these should be owned and run by civilians. PA has no business inside the country. PA is using 180 Million Pakistanis to earn money by running profitable businesses in Pakistan.

They are not using 180 million Pakistanis, unless they benefit by being employed in Army-run businesses. They are using their own personnel (retired personnel, as it happens) to run businesses to look after themselves, and benefit the country as well.
I am still not seeing the problem.

The business is owned by the retired officers foundations. The GHW does not get to dip into the FF, DHA budgets. The land is allocated to the GHQ by the GoP, the same as it is for the PAF, PN, Federal Government officials. This is a benefit that the GoP has sanctioned. The Army does not claim it by itself.

All officers, based on their pay grade, can opt for land as per the sanction of the Federal government of Pakistan. This is not illegal. Much of the land (the vast majority) was allocated at the outskirts. The Armed Forces reclaim it, develop it and offer amenities that are in demand through their housing authorities. This demand is what allows the officers to sell the land at good prices.

I have looked at this issues for the past 20 years, and I can tell, there is a lot of hyperbole about it. The appreciation of these properties is due to the interest of the civilians. Most DHA's accommodate civilians now.

Tell me one more country where the army owns so much % of the whole economy? Just tell me one another civilized country? (not North Korea or Somalia). I promise I will leave this debate this moment.

IA, PLA, America, Russia, SL, B/D, Australia, UK, Germany, France?? These economies are 10-50 times bigger then Pakistan, but these armies don't have business interests as big as PA.

Last edited:
Tell me one more country where the army owns so much % of the whole economy? Just tell me one another civilized country? (not North Korea or Somalia). I promise I will leave this debate this moment.

None of those enterprises are run by active service officers.. but retired officers and soldiers.. for the welfare of the troops... as for examples there are several and this issue has been dealt in detail.. by senior and Proffessionals like @blain2 @Xeric and others.

You are only embarassing yourself.

Ok what % of the economy is owned by the Pakistan Army? Pray tell us. Is "Military Inc." still being being used as the gospel and the word of the Almighty Himself here?

If it makes you feel better to compare Pakistan to entities like NK and others, feel free to go about in your ignorance. The entire BoD at these orgs. is run and managed by retired and civilian members. Like all ex-servicemen societies, these orgs. get tax accommodations. That is it. They run a decently tight shop and get profits which makes them a good target for all antagonists. Facts are ignored and hyperbole is used to malign a beneficial framework that has been in place for decades.

Last edited:
Ok what % of the economy is owned by the Pakistan Army? Pray tell us. Is "Military Inc." still being being used as the gospel and the word of the Almighty Himself here?

They own a aweful lot or companies. Banks, Insurance, Third of all heavy Manufacturing, All Real Estate. Guess would be maybe 30-50% or more.

But I asked something else. Tell me one more country where army runs so many businesses??

None of those enterprises are run by active service officers.. but retired officers and soldiers.. for the welfare of the troops... as for examples there are several and this issue has been dealt in detail.. by senior and Proffessionals like @blain2 @Xeric and others.

You are only embarassing yourself.

only embarrasment is PA. just look at India, Indian economy is 8 times yours, but IA has no business interests.

So tell me in which other country army owns so many companies?? That's all I want to know. I will be happy to leave this debate.

They own a aweful lot or companies. Banks, Insurance, Third of all heavy Manufacturing, All Real Estate. Guess would be maybe 30-50% or more.

But I asked something else. Tell me one more country where army runs so many businesses??

only embarrasment is PA. just look at India, Indian economy is 8 times yours, but IA has no business interests.

So tell me in which other country army owns so many companies?? That's all I want to know. I will be happy to leave this debate.

Again no facts. Just hyperbole. The height of ignorance is quite evident with statements like "All Real Estate".

Secondly, for you to assume this claimed "Third of all heavy manufacturing" is another indication of you not knowing much about the subject on hand yet your condemnation is as if you have been on the inside. All of defence production comes under MoD, under the Secretary of Defence. This is not a G/A/NHQ concern. The Secretary of Defence is either a civilian or a retired officer. They report into the PM of Pakistan and not to the CoAS/CNS or CAS. If you would like to criticize this structure, please do so factually after first understanding what concerns fall within the purview of the Army and what don't.

This is nothing personal, just trying to set the record straight instead of going along with common misconceptions. The benefits of these Foundations go to the retired personnel and into the national economy, of which the retired personnel are a part of once they leave military service. Yes they get benefits by way of tax exemptions, but that is a way for the GoP to subsidize those who have performed national military service. There are countless other reasons why the GoP should help retired personnel simply given their skillsets not being very applicable in the private sector.

Last edited:
1) Do two google searchs and see the results:

companies owned by Pakistan army
companies owned by Indian army

2) Go to the wikipedia pages of PA and IA. Search for the term "business" and see the results yourself.

Pakistan Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary:
Pakistan army owns banks, insurance companies, universities, cement and fertiliser plants. The army runs the largest real estate business in Pakistan :D :D Is it a army or a real estate company or a bank or an insurance company or what ??

On the other hand Indian economy is 8 times as big as Pakistan economy, but IA does not own a single bank, insurance company or a cement or fertilizer plant in India.

PA is 100 times more profitable then IA. It's not the salary, its the FREEBIES that PA gives which makes the job more lucrative then a job with Microsoft.

as from a Pakistani:

It's the perks that they get. Free medical(for life, including all family members even after retirement), transportation(cars/SUVs), subsidized air travel(we used to get 50% off back in the 90s), free telephone, a guaranteed house in a prime location for 1/5th the going market price(post retirement if you achieved a certain rank before retiring, generally major and higher), another plot in a similar area, access to exclusive clubs etc. that are 10x harder for civilians(including high ranking government officials/bureaucrats) to get into, a cushy job post retirement if you're so inclined, a pretty decent pension package and the list goes on.

Seems a lot of money being earned and spent by the biggest corporate group of Pakistan. Seems 180 million Pakistanis work really hard to take care of PA's merriment, luxury and expenditure.

Why are you butthurt? As i said go and give gallantry awards to your ketchup colonels or save your poor soldiers from getting thrashed from drunk officers. How funds for welfare of our retired officers, soldiers and their families are arranged is none of your business.

PS: BTW What happened to wife of your blue water navy officer? Did that whistle blower got justice ?

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with that.
So, you can believe ISPR blindly and rejoice "zero-suicide" of be more practical and try to study the problem, scientifically. As people have already pointed out, suicide is a reality, whether you like it or not. Zero suicide in any conflict zone is an absolute impossibility. Just by blindly believing in ISPR statement, you are doing a great dis-service to the soldiers who may be in dire need of psychological help. The issues have been summed up in a paper precisely (I could only get an abstract). I am amaze govt doesn't track this officially.
Epidemiology of suicide in Pakistan: determining rates in six cities. - PubMed - NCBI

So, you can believe ISPR blindly and rejoice "zero-suicide" of be more practical and try to study the problem, scientifically. As people have already pointed out, suicide is a reality, whether you like it or not. Zero suicide in any conflict zone is an absolute impossibility. Just by blindly believing in ISPR statement, you are doing a great dis-service to the soldiers who may be in dire need of psychological help. The issues have been summed up in a paper precisely (I could only get an abstract). I am amaze govt doesn't track this officially.
Epidemiology of suicide in Pakistan: determining rates in six cities. - PubMed - NCBI

You clearly have not been paying attention here my friend.

The thread is about the suicide rate in the Pakistani Army. This suicide rate is zero, in contrast to the Indian Army, where it has become a serious concern.
Despite fighting terrorism constantly, despite the surrender of the forces in Bangladesh in 1971 and other misfortunes, and despite being constantly run down by their own judiciary, media, and politicians, the Pakistani Army has had no suicides in its ranks. Not even one.

Your link is about the suicide rate in the population at large, where it is definitely more than zero. This is no surprise, since the Pakistani Army is the best state institution in the country in terms of its discipline and professionalism.

Pakistani Army =/= population at large

Clear?

You clearly have not been paying attention here my friend.

The thread is about the suicide rate in the Pakistani Army. This suicide rate is zero, in contrast to the Indian Army, where it has become a serious concern.
Despite fighting terrorism constantly, despite the surrender of the forces in Bangladesh in 1971 and other misfortunes, and despite being constantly run down by their own judiciary, media, and politicians, the Pakistani Army has had no suicides in its ranks. Not even one.

Your link is about the suicide rate in the population at large, where it is definitely more than zero. This is no surprise, since the Pakistani Army is the best state institution in the country in terms of its discipline and professionalism.

Pakistani Army =/= population at large

Clear?
LOL... OK.. PA soldiers are not drawn from local population. They are specially ordered. And after receiving them, new brains with latest PA software are installed. It is clear now...

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom