What's new

Pakistan Army leads world forces with zero-percent suicide rate

Maybe civilian life is so bad, that soldiering feels like a holiday.

Yes. Nobody is celebrating some world record they are just celebrating a zero suicide incident .
Zero suicide rates are definitely a point to celebrate, if it were true... no need to bring world or any other country into it...

Maybe civilian life is so bad, that soldiering feels like a holiday.
This thing of not accepting an achievement is something I know as IGNORANCE.... or lets say Height Of Ignorance....
Get a life man and do something about the suicides in your army....

This thing of not accepting an achievement is something I know as IGNORANCE.... or lets say Height Of Ignorance....
Get a life man and do something about the suicides in your army....

What, do you want a medal from the UN for zero suicides? People die for lots of reasons. Last month, my neighbour- a retired bank manager committed suicide- primarily because of loneliness. It is sickening in the first place that such a thread has been opened.

PA owns more then half the country of Pakistan. Its one of the biggest corporate groups and most generous payouts for its men. That explains why such low suicide rate.

Nations have army, PA has a nation.

Anyone. Is there one major business in Pakistan, in which PA is not involved??? Is PA an army or a Big Business Conglomerate with its own private security (PA)?? and as a corollary, does PA work for people, or people work for the companies owned by PA?

and lastly tell me one country in this world other then Pakistan, where the army owns and runs so many businesses?
Its not any of your business anyways... I just see a fact being told in this thread. Read it and think of a way to change it in your favour.

Why you are butthurt when Pakistanis don't have problem with it? Salaries of Pakistani Soldiers are even less than Indians and PA instead of putting all burden on public finance welfare of soldiers and their families and we see no issue with it. Now go and give gallantry awards to your ketchup colonels.

1) Do two google searchs and see the results:

companies owned by Pakistan army
companies owned by Indian army

2) Go to the wikipedia pages of PA and IA. Search for the term "business" and see the results yourself.

Pakistan Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary:
Pakistan army owns banks, insurance companies, universities, cement and fertiliser plants. The army runs the largest real estate business in Pakistan :D :D Is it a army or a real estate company or a bank or an insurance company or what ??

On the other hand Indian economy is 8 times as big as Pakistan economy, but IA does not own a single bank, insurance company or a cement or fertilizer plant in India.

PA is 100 times more profitable then IA. It's not the salary, its the FREEBIES that PA gives which makes the job more lucrative then a job with Microsoft.

as from a Pakistani:

It's the perks that they get. Free medical(for life, including all family members even after retirement), transportation(cars/SUVs), subsidized air travel(we used to get 50% off back in the 90s), free telephone, a guaranteed house in a prime location for 1/5th the going market price(post retirement if you achieved a certain rank before retiring, generally major and higher), another plot in a similar area, access to exclusive clubs etc. that are 10x harder for civilians(including high ranking government officials/bureaucrats) to get into, a cushy job post retirement if you're so inclined, a pretty decent pension package and the list goes on.

Seems a lot of money being earned and spent by the biggest corporate group of Pakistan. Seems 180 million Pakistanis work really hard to take care of PA's merriment, luxury and expenditure.

Last edited:
What, do you want a medal from the UN for zero suicides? People die for lots of reasons. Last month, my neighbour- a retired bank manager committed suicide- primarily because of loneliness. It is sickening in the first place that such a thread has been opened.

Sickening? An organization that deals in the most stressful situations known to man, and maintains a zero suicide rate in the face of constantly facing those situations, is somehow "sickening" to you?
You have a strange culture....Two Nation Theory vindicated yet again!

1) Do two google searchs and see the results:

companies owned by Pakistan army
companies owned by Indian army

2) Go to the wikipedia pages of PA and IA. Search for the term

Pakistan Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary:
Pakistan army owns banks, insurance companies, universities, cement and fertiliser plants. The army runs the largest real estate business in Pakistan :D :D Is it a army or a real estate company or a bank or an insurance company or what ??

On the other hand Indian economy is 8 times as big as Pakistan economy, but IA does not own a single bank, insurance company or a cement or fertilizer plant in India.

PA is 100 times more profitable then IA. It's not the salary, its the FREEBIES that PA gives which makes the job more lucrative then a job with Microsoft.

as from a Pakistani:

It's the perks that they get. Free medical(for life, including all family members even after retirement), transportation(cars/SUVs), subsidized air travel(we used to get 50% off back in the 90s), free telephone, a guaranteed house in a prime location for 1/5th the going market price(post retirement if you achieved a certain rank before retiring, generally major and higher), another plot in a similar area, access to exclusive clubs etc. that are 10x harder for civilians(including high ranking government officials/bureaucrats) to get into, a cushy job post retirement if you're so inclined, a pretty decent pension package and the list goes on.

Seems a lot of money being earned and spent by the biggest corporate group of Pakistan. Seems 180 million Pakistanis work really hard to take care of PA's merriment.

They have done all this legally, and through their hard work. The government can't be expected to look after them, so they look after themselves very well.
Other institutions in Pakistan can't give such guarantees for their employees, as these others are corruption-infested.

Sickening? An organization that deals in the most stressful situations known to man, and maintains a zero suicide rate in the face of constantly facing those situations, is somehow "sickening" to you?
You have a strange culture....Two Nation Theory vindicated yet again!

Indeed.. the fact that you still seek still vindication for two nation theory after 70 odd years shows that you have a strange culture.

They have done all this legally, and through their hard work. The government can't be expected to look after them, so they look after themselves very well.
Other institutions in Pakistan can't give such guarantees for their employees, as these others are corruption-infested.

Legal ok. But who can ever stand in front of the PA legally? PA keeps in pocket the politicians, police and bureaucrats since 47. PA runs Pakistan not the bureaucrats or judges or the politicians. I think PA should be renamed to Pak Business Corporation.

So for PA the 180 million Pakistanis were incompetent to own industries?? So being a selfless and non profit organisation PA decided to take the ownership of all the companies. Seems very selfless to me. :D

two things:

1) legally or non legally aside. Tell me one civilized country in this whole world where the army owns so many businesses?

2) and the biggest question of all. Do you know if there is normalcy in the region and a true democratic govt. comes in Pakistan, the PA would loose control of their businesses?? If I owned so many companies I would hate to give them up really. ;)

Last edited:
Legal ok. But who can ever stand in front of the PA legally? PA keeps in pocket the politicians, police and bureaucrats since 47. PA runs Pakistan not the bureaucrats or judges or the politicians. I think PA should be renamed to Pak Business Corporation.

anyhow legally or non legally aside. Tell me one civilized country in this whole world where the army owns so many businesses?

The first part is just not true. PA does not get what it wants much of the time. Look at the nine month delay in starting an operation in Waziristan, against PA's wishes.
Nawaz Sharif opposed Jahangir Karamat for daring to suggest a National Security Council, and then the latter resigned. Judges are also very much against the military; why do you think Musharraf fired Iftikhar Chaudhry Muhammad, leading to the Lawyers' Movement?
Musharraf is now on trial for treason (whatever the status is, exactly); is that a sign of military power, that he should be subjected to such an obviously bogus, politically vindictive case?
The mere fact that the military has declared martial law no less than four times is a sign of the fact that they generally don't have a lot of power or influence in the civil society; there would be no need for such takeovers, which usually don't end well for the military dictators, if the PA had the kind of influence you suggest.

As for the second question, I don't know the answer. I do know that if the PA owns a lot of businesses, it is because they are doing what they need to look after themselves in a country rife with governmental corruption. And how can they be blamed for that?

And the businesses they own benefit others as well; the many Army schools they have established come to mind, especially after the Peshawar attack.

Zero suicide rates are definitely a point to celebrate, if it were true... no need to bring world or any other country into it...

I don't see anything wrong with that.

The first part is just not true. PA does not get what it wants much of the time. Look at the nine month delay in starting an operation in Waziristan, against PA's wishes.
Nawaz Sharif opposed Jahangir Karamat for daring to suggest a National Security Council, and then the latter resigned. Judges are also very much against the military; why do you think Musharraf fired Iftikhar Chaudhry Muhammad, leading to the Lawyers' Movement?
Musharraf is now on trial for treason (whatever the status is, exactly); is that a sign of military power, that he should be subjected to such an obviously bogus, politically vindictive case?
The mere fact that the military has declared martial law no less than four times is a sign of the fact that they generally don't have a lot of power or influence in the civil society; there would be no need for such takeovers, which usually don't end well for the military dictators, if the PA had the kind of influence you suggest.

As for the second question, I don't know the answer. I do know that if the PA owns a lot of businesses, it is because they are doing what they need to look after themselves in a country rife with governmental corruption. And how can they be blamed for that?

And the businesses they own benefit others as well; the many Army schools they have established come to mind, especially after the Peshawar attack.

The business should be owned by the Pakistani awam and not army.

PA is not Tata, Birla. it should only protect the country. It has absolutely no moral stand to run even a single business. PA is in reality the biggest fraud in the life of Pakistani people. PA owns the country, and 180 million people work for PA.

From another Pakistani.

I m not sure about salaries but as far land being allocated , i can give few examples.
a) Gen.Aslam Beg retired in 91 and he was alloted a plot near GHQ & PC on pindi mall and reported worth was 65crores.
b) Gen.Kakar retired in 96 and it was reported that he was alloted corps cmd quetta residence.
c) Gen.Mush , when came into power in oct 99 , he declared that he holds 7 plots in different parts of pakistan.
d) Just to give a tip of the iceberg , ASKARI Housing X , near lahore airport consists of around 3500 homes and its being alloted to retired officers . Price of a 4 bedroom one is around 80 Lacs at the moment.
e) As far as legality is concerned, no other department (wapda, railways , pia indulges in such looting).
f) I don't know about other countries but in Australia , when an ex service person applies for a home in DHA (yes, in autralia there is DHA as well ) he gets 2500$ discount.

Military Salaries and Expenditure « PKPolitics Discuss

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom