What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

PAF needs to seriously work on UCAVs both as BVR shooters and for strike missions. PAF also needs to stop being stubborn about LR-SAMs. UCAVs and LR-SAMs would complicate the work of Indian planners and pilots to no end. Its those extra things you have to think about in the heat of battle that often gets you.
Sir I dont know about anyone else but I have a feeling or a belief that PAF operates many types of UCAV but they are not public. I think mostly are from China.

Where do things stand with Egyptian mirages? Have we received any yet?

Possibility for Thunder.
IMG_20190621_185414.jpeg

The only way this engine might see light with thunder is if KSA buys a few dozen thunders as this engine will be common with its current fleet of eurofighters. Although it has more thrust and is more fuel efficient, even if we could afford it there is no way we are getting approval for its export yo pakistan.
What i am more interested in whether rd93MA matches it in terms of dry/wet thurst and in terms of fuel economy

I have a feeling PAF is going for a new Chinese engine in the block 3. The same one rumored for the J-31 project.

Let us imagine a worst case scenario for the PAF:
1. India buys more Rafales - numbers go up to 100
2. It upgrades comprehensively and comes up with a new game plan
3. PAF doesn't have the budget to follow suit, no new aircraft type can be inducted. Azm is 10 years away and block 3 is operationally 2 years away.
4. PAF will not only face a qualitative problem but a quantitative one, with retiring airframes of Mirages and F-7s

What could PAF do?

MIX IT UP: PAF could play the strategy of a variety bowler. It can introduce low cost BVR UCAVs and strike UCAVs. It can bring in LRSAMs into the mix. This could simply be Nasr-like missiles with multiple SD-10s carried within, or S-200 level local SAMs. The difference they would make would be that ingressing IAF aircraft would have to spend extra effort to dodge them or to release their strike loads.
Increase the number of threat axis for ingressing IAF aircraft.

MODERNIZE LEGACY AIRCRAFT: PAF can re-manufacture Mirages, comprehensively. With Block 2 and Block 1 JFT being upgraded, these Mirages could receive the radar and avionics package of the block 1/2 JFTs and become potent air defence aircraft.
PAF could also buy an additional 50 F-7PGs, could be bought second hand from retiring Chinese stock for pennies or given even for free. These could be upgraded with a small AESA radar. The main problem that the F-7s / MiG-21s have faced for so long is that their nose is not big enough for a decent radar. This problem has recently been solved with air-breathing, low cost GaN AESA radars. Such radars would allow the F-7PGs to shoot SD-10s at decent BVR ranges.
Upgraded such, PAF F-7PGs would get a new lease of life and act as point defence fighters and Close Air Support aircraft for the PA.

INCREASE PRODUCTION OF BLOCK 3s: This I think is a long awaited upgraded and should be a no-brainer.

USE E-BOMBS: IAF has been using increasingly large formations against PAF. A well-placed E-bomb would fry the electronics of such a formation. Would almost be an e-bomb SAM.

SCARE THEM: Get some JH-7As for strike, and pay visits to near Mumbai and Goa in the way that the Russians use their BEARs. This would expose the weakness of their radar network and defenses in the Southern Command, forcing IAF to put its valuable resources defending this sector rather than acting aggressively up north.

SURGE: Least 6 J-10Ds and keep two squadrons worth of pilots trained. If tensions rise, PLAAF can send you two squadrons of J-10Cs and you would have an instant boost in air power.

SURGE: Least 6 J-10Ds and keep two squadrons worth of pilots trained. If tensions rise, PLAAF can send you two squadrons of J-10Cs and you would have an instant boost in air power.

Hi,

Tactically---it is better to have those 2 sqdrn's on your air bases---than sitting in china---.

Modern day combat / war is different---.

The more you have on your lots---it prevents the enemy from starting war---.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom