What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

You don't need a missile to train for BVR. Already pointed it out. And the PAF F-16s could easily simulate BVR kills.

Also, when two air forces are facing each other without a common missile in their inventory, a fictional missile is simulated. The IAF simulates MICA with the French and a fictional missile with the Americans. So technically, IAF and USAF also do not have the Aim-120 during exercises, but still train for BVR.

The 90s wasn't good for us either.

Let's just say it was the highlight of his career to date.

Dunno how an F-14 article helps the chances of the F-21 here.

Again, PAF was hobbled by sanctions. (IAF was not.)

I can't quantify it, however, I would think that would have some effect on training etc. etc.

Resulting in degradation of capability.

Fast forward to 2019, you had the introduction of the Block 52, release of additonal Block 15OCU and subsequent MLU and 500 AMRAAMS.

Not to mention a successful JF-17 program with SD-10.

In addition to the better hardware, you likely had improved training in regards to the BVR sphere to effectively utilize the new hardware.

I remember following PAF as closely as possible for a layman in the states during the 90's and was genuinely concerned given all the limitations in place at the time. (US sanctions affecting F-16 fleet, uncertainty regarding availability of RD-93 for JF-17, etc...)

Just saying the limitations of those days may have affected performance.

Last edited:
Something that even our officers pointed out after Balakot. ;)

@krash @Knuckles @Bilal Khan 777 @Oscar @denel @Khafee @MastanKhan @The Deterrent @Nilgiri @Hellfire @MilSpec

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-a-navy-f-14-fleet-pilot-turned-f-5-aggressor
I flew BFM against a variety of dissimilar aircraft as a Tomcat pilot. During a memorable week off the coast of Pakistan we flew a number of BFM and BVR sorties against the Pakistani Air Force. I still have some spectacular HUD footage from engagements against MiG-21s (J-7s).

I remember being amazed at the lack of proficiency and proper weapons employment from their F-16 pilots.

We are supposed to care about whats said in echo chamber forums like this one about such topics? lol.

@krash @Knuckles @Bilal Khan 777 @Oscar @denel @Khafee @MastanKhan @The Deterrent @Nilgiri @Hellfire @MilSpec

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-a-navy-f-14-fleet-pilot-turned-f-5-aggressor
I flew BFM against a variety of dissimilar aircraft as a Tomcat pilot. During a memorable week off the coast of Pakistan we flew a number of BFM and BVR sorties against the Pakistani Air Force. I still have some spectacular HUD footage from engagements against MiG-21s (J-7s).

I remember being amazed at the lack of proficiency and proper weapons employment from their F-16 pilots.

I am okay with this perception. What matters is when things count.

I understand and I agree with the Tomcat driver (I know a Viper driver who has shot him in an exercise) . You have any info from the IAF officer who said that. Or was it in person. I'm interested out of curiosity on their point of view. Respectfully.

It was an Air Marshal in a Youtube video. I can't find it.

It was a guy who was trying to explain what happened during the skirmish in layman terms and an Air Marshal was called in to help explain it all. The AM pointed out that Pak's BVR tactics employed were poor. That was the only thing of significance to take from the video though. Everything else in it was basically the same as whatever you have read in the media.

But what's interesting to note, unrelated to the above, is that most of what's been said in the media of both sides is not what actually happened. There's a lot more to the story that nobody is talking about. For example, nobody on both sides are talking about the two other sites that were bombed by the IAF.

Oh and more AMRAAMs are being worked on for PAF and Moroccan Vipers.

Cheers!!!

Yep. It's about time PAF gets a new batch.

Anyway, I don't expect GoI's attempt at sanctioning Pakistan over F-16s to work out, but at best there is a chance cooperation for new stuff will end.

Back when exactly? After the 90’s sanctions?

Still made no difference on the 27th

I am okay with this perception. What matters is when things count.

Yep, that's always what matters. I always says that. Only the actual ground situation matters, everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Hi,

What a con artist your are---.

That was about Tomcat flying against pakistani F16's---possibly over 20 years ago---.

"

I remember being amazed at the lack of proficiency and proper weapons employment from their F-16 pilots. When we were in the Persian Gulf, we had a week where we fought the Emirati Mirage 2000-5 pilots. They were actually quite aggressive pilots who displayed a keen awareness of the tactics to employ against the weaknesses of the F-14A. They would jam to the merge, then pull 9Gs, flying so high we almost lost sight. If we did, they would tag us with a heater (infrared short-range guided missile). But if you could survive the first merge to employ follow-on BFM, they became easy prey".

seems like the PAF pilots improved themselves since then

2+1 to 0 against IAF
+1 being an own goal (by IAF)

note 0 is variable. from Indian perspective it varies from 350 (terrorists killed) to 40 (AMRAAMs dodged to 1 F16 shot down)
from Pakistani perspective its simply a 0. (but who cares about Pakistani perspective even the PAF pilots are joking with the F-16 pilot that he is dead because Indians say so)

Yes they did say that.

Yes they did say that.

Yes they did say that.
However, the RAF has rubbished claims the IAF beat British crews '12-0' in the latest exercise, with a source describing the boast as "comical".

They said British pilots did not make use of the advanced technology at their disposal and were effectively fighting "with one arm behind their backs".

ADVERTISEMENT

Sukhoi-328680.jpg
GETTY

Indian Air Force Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighters were involved in the training mission
The RAF source told the Independent: "There must have been some clouded recollection on the flights back to India, as the headlines of the Indian press bear no relation to the results of the tactical scenarios completed on the exercise in any shape or form."

This is the difference between talking the talk and walking the walk.....

Back
Top Bottom