What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

It is also much more expensive to maintain than the J-31.

I do believe that China does not intend to keep the J-20 classified forever.

Also, considering about the budget of the PAF, the J-31 was eventually pitched by the PAF, since the J-20 might not really suit the need of the PAF.

When Pakistan got a bigger economy, and the PAF has the upgraded requirements with a more lavish budget, I will say that the option for the J-20 will definitely be available.

But for now, the PAF has opted for the J-31, and soon you may see the official announcement from your media.
OK. Fair enough. Lets wait for some formal announcement. Inspite of my understanding of the commonaljty of engines between the J31 and JFT, the plane is no where near ready so it will be some time. I will be very happy to be proven wrong but so far it seems unlikely.
A

Hi PDF memebers should Also keep one thing in mind of giving benefit of doubt for planaf to acquire j31
As navy has still time for the third aircraft carrier to be online which can be having emals for arresting and flying out of j31 from the carrier
So techibically j31 developers still have time for their product to get matured and planaf can be offered on the right time
Any input from the learned memebers will be welcome
Thank you

Indonesian President @jokowi inspected JF-17 fighter jet at Nur Khan Airbase in #Islamabad today. He evinced keen interest in the fighter jet. On the occasion, the visiting dignitary was briefed about the operational capabilities of JF-17. https://t.co/SZPlVXX2Gw

Indonesian President @jokowi inspected JF-17 fighter jet at Nur Khan Airbase in #Islamabad today. He evinced keen interest in the fighter jet. On the occasion, the visiting dignitary was briefed about the operational capabilities of JF-17. https://t.co/SZPlVXX2Gw
, in this video if you add 30-40, network warfare capable block two or even better block 3 air craft guided by 1-2 AWACS , armed with BVR's, the balance would definitely tilt towards Indonesia albeit only in terms of defence. Iam speculating that chances of the sale of thunders are high , they could form the quantitive Part of the Indonesian air force , supporting offence ops of the su 35's , while also bringing strong anti shipping abilities especially if you add cm 400 to the mix.

It is 8 -10 years for paf to get producing 5th gen fighters
I do not know when such a plane would be designed, but the prospect sounds exciting. Given the practical approach of PAF, I hope it will be something real and actually in production unlike the "LCA" and whatever else India makes.

It seems that the design requirement is, possibly, IMHO, as follows (please note, I am speculating):

1. Stealth / LO features
2. Supercruise at 1.2 mach
3. Range equal to the F-16

The best way to design such a plane would perhaps be to keep it simple and work with available technologies. I am not an aeronautical engineer but I have informally studied it and I believe such a plane is possible within the parameters presented above.

Here is how one could go about designing such a plane - take design cues from what has already been researched rather than re-inventing the wheel (aka LCA / Arjunk / etc).

The closest aircraft to such a specification requirement are:
1. X-31 (delta wing, TVC)
2. J-10 (delta wing, potential TVC)
3. F-16 XL (Delta wing, TVC)

At the same time, one can perhaps look at the designs of stealth aircraft already produced:
1. J-20 (great design but less valuable for air superiority, a prime requirement for PAF and also too big and maintenance intensive. But could a smaller J-20 around a single engine be a broad possibility)
2. F-23. This aircraft lost the US fighter contest due to political reasons. You can see the only test pilot to have flown both the YF-23 and YF-22 basically hinting that the YF-23 lost because of politics and that it was a superior design. (can't post links yet but you can find on you tube "YF-23 Dem/Val presentation metz sandberg"
3. F-22. One interesting innovation in the F-22 is the use of TVC not to do cobra maneuvres but to improve high altitude performance. TVC can actually improve range, speed and stealth of an aircraft. See this paper for details how: (I can't post links yet due to not having enough posts but you can google and find the icas website paper ID ICA0534 a pdf file)
Taking these factors into consideration, perhaps the best design for a limited budget light-medium weight design is as follows:

1. A simple delta wing design. This provides the lowest drag and highest speed and range
2. A single engine like the WS-10 or twin RD-93s. Should give enough thrust without becoming an expensive and hard to maintain aircraft
3. TVC. TVC along with FBW (fly by wire) will allow a simple delta to be highly maneuverable, it will also allow the canted tails (below) to be very small, drastically reducing drag and eliminating canards.
4. Twin canted tails that are used for both horizontal and vertical stabilization, in a similar configuration to the YF-23 (but much smaller given modern TVC and FBW advances)
5. If a single AL-31 / WS-10 is used, one could ride off the upgrades and parts bin of the J-10.

These features should be able to achieve an aircraft capable of supercruise of mach 1.2, excellent maneuverability both at high and medium altitudes and an ideal strike and BVR platform able to meet any challenge India can bring.

Technically such a plane would be gen 5.5 given the reduced tail surfaces config.

J-20 is galaxies beyond our requirements.
Not really. If the US & A starts giving lalaji's advanced equipment, like F35's, then we absolutley need something able to beat it and J20 will be a candidate, the J31 won't.

Not sure that PAF would accept the J31 as is. A more likely scenario is to create a large air superiority fighter based on the J31.

Air Cdr (R) Kaiser Tufail and other fit to fly veterans who in the words of Air Cdr......

''The Air Staff gave a unique opportunity to some (fit) senior veterans to assess the operational capabilities of the PAF from a 'then and now' perspective. I am pleased to report that the PAF of today is mighty potent and absolutely ready, as I along with a few old buddies made an assessment after we took rides in the incomparable electric jet. Not only is the latest version completely sensor fused and out of this world, the young boys who fly them are tech-savvy professionals as good as can be -- much better than we were. Here is today's picture alongside one that is three decades old. Loads of more pictures to follow''.

26993414_893620337478364_5310513866958598634_n.jpg

, in this video if you add 30-40, network warfare capable block two or even better block 3 air craft guided by 1-2 AWACS , armed with BVR's, the balance would definitely tilt towards Indonesia albeit only in terms of defence. Iam speculating that chances of the sale of thunders are high , they could form the quantitive Part of the Indonesian air force , supporting offence ops of the su 35's , while also bringing strong anti shipping abilities especially if you add cm 400 to the mix.
I think this is unnecessary; there is no reason for be projecting an atmosphere of conflict when there is none.

Air Cdr (R) Kaiser Tufail and other fit to fly veterans who in the words of Air Cdr......

''The Air Staff gave a unique opportunity to some (fit) senior veterans to assess the operational capabilities of the PAF from a 'then and now' perspective. I am pleased to report that the PAF of today is mighty potent and absolutely ready, as I along with a few old buddies made an assessment after we took rides in the incomparable electric jet. Not only is the latest version completely sensor fused and out of this world, the young boys who fly them are tech-savvy professionals as good as can be -- much better than we were. Here is today's picture alongside one that is three decades old. Loads of more pictures to follow''.

View attachment 450443
One of them is fit, the rest not on that level....nevertheless still impressive to take rides. Chuck Yeager and Buzz Aldrin managed fighter jet rides in their 80s.

Last edited:
One of them is fit, the rest not on that level....nevertheless still impress to take rides. Chuck Yeager and Buzz Aldrin managed fighter jet rides in their 80s.
Chuck and Buzz were flying most of their lives unlike our current PM or CJCSC.
In any case, Sir Tufail would know better than any of us..... besides the veterans were there for more than just to prove their physical fitness.

Back
Top Bottom