What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

What alternative solution exactly? Used airframe, new airframe? And how long a lifespan for each versus repaired airframe? Again, I'm just wondering. %5 seems a bit low.

Yeah but I wouldn't compare repair with cost of acquisition of a new Saab AEWC (which would include both airframe and AEWC system?). What I meant is the cost of getting a used similar airframe and then simply refitting that with the AEWC from the of damaged airframe. I'm aware there is value in doing the repair at home, irrespective of the replacement cost.

To be clear, the fact I am looking at cost does on no way detract from the egineering achievement of PAF personnel.

It seems they repaired the structure, but they also performed 'systems recovery'. I don't know what this means, but if they were able to produce some sensitive electronics in-house then that would be a great achievement indeed.

What alternative solution exactly? Used airframe, new airframe? And how long a lifespan for each versus repaired airframe? Again, I'm just wondering. %5 seems a bit low.

Yeah but I wouldn't compare repair with cost of acquisition of a new Saab AEWC (which would include both airframe and AEWC system?). What I meant is the cost of getting a used similar airframe and then simply refitting that with the AEWC from the of damaged airframe. I'm aware there is value in doing the repair at home, irrespective of the replacement cost.

To be clear, the fact I am looking at cost does on no way detract from the egineering achievement of PAF personnel.
Is it possible that the repair work was done to the airframe due to the lack of available surplus Saab 2000s? IIRC just 63 were built, and Pakistan alone is on its way to flying 1/10 of the fleet. I know other Saab 2000s will be sought for the Erieye follow on order (3 more planes), but that's due for completion in 2020. It can be that alternate Saab 2000s weren't available in 2013.

didn't explain in detail .... you can yourself listen it they spoke a single line about this issue

Did. Interesting. Without doubting achievement, which can only be commended, it does make you wonder about cost and cost-effectiveness: would obtaining another similar airframe and moving te AEWC systems have been cheaper (assuming possible)?

In house repairs can be very economical since they had access MRF and the whole Kamra that are able to produce everything they needed. Furthermore, for each new product the provider not only charges for the product but also a huge profit and R&D costs + taxes and duties.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the repair work was done to the airframe due to the lack of available surplus Saab 2000s? IIRC just 63 were built, and Pakistan alone is on its way to flying 1/10 of the fleet. I know other Saab 2000s will be sought for the Erieye follow on order (3 more planes), but that's due for completion in 2020. It can be that alternate Saab 2000s weren't available in 2013.
Sir, their next gen. system is underdevelopment ( I forgot its name). Shouldn't we look into that?

GlobalEye which is usable of all types of surveillance
So the GlobalEye has 3 parts:

1. Erieye ER for AEW&C
2. Ground-facing SAR of unknown model
3. EO/IR turret

I don't think it would be difficult to add the EO/IR turret. The PAF likes Star SAFIRE EO/IR pods quite a bit, they can look to add one to the Saab 2000 AEW&C. The ground-facing SAR is trickier as a large stand-off type would add a lot of weight to the Saab 2000 airframe. I honestly doubt the GlobalEye uses something akin to the JSTARS SAR, more likely a COTS system from Leonardo. It might be doable depending on the weight of the SAR/GMTI.

The Erieye ER part is basically like ordering a new AEW&C. It can only be plausible if the PAF is ordering them brand new from Saab, thereby setting up a 3rd AEW&C platform. For a dreamer it wouldn't be shocking, we have people asking the PAF to pick-up the KJ-2000 or KJ-500. However, it's feasibility will depend on how much it adds to the maintenance overhead.

IMO it'd be better to have a separate aircraft for ground-facing ISR. They can look at picking up some other used Saab 2000s, ATR-72s or CN-235s and fitting them with EO/IR turrets and SAR/GMTI. It'd be better to dedicate the AEW&C crew to support air defence tasks while making a few dedicated ground-facing ISR assets available for the Army for their own ISR needs.

96 year old former PAF Air Chief Asghar Khan sent condolence message for Marshal #Arjansingh demise. Here the two in 1960s https://t.co/js60HlqjJw
IMG_20170924_110319.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom