What's new

Pakistan Air Force | News & Discussions.

So the GlobalEye has 3 parts:

1. Erieye ER for AEW&C
2. Ground-facing SAR of unknown model
3. EO/IR turret

I don't think it would be difficult to add the EO/IR turret. The PAF likes Star SAFIRE EO/IR pods quite a bit, they can look to add one to the Saab 2000 AEW&C. The ground-facing SAR is trickier as a large stand-off type would add a lot of weight to the Saab 2000 airframe. I honestly doubt the GlobalEye uses something akin to the JSTARS SAR, more likely a COTS system from Leonardo. It might be doable depending on the weight of the SAR/GMTI.

The Erieye ER part is basically like ordering a new AEW&C. It can only be plausible if the PAF is ordering them brand new from Saab, thereby setting up a 3rd AEW&C platform. For a dreamer it wouldn't be shocking, we have people asking the PAF to pick-up the KJ-2000 or KJ-500. However, it's feasibility will depend on how much it adds to the maintenance overhead.

IMO it'd be better to have a separate aircraft for ground-facing ISR. They can look at picking up some other used Saab 2000s, ATR-72s or CN-235s and fitting them with EO/IR turrets and SAR/GMTI. It'd be better to dedicate the AEW&C crew to support air defence tasks while making a few dedicated ground-facing ISR assets available for the Army for their own ISR needs.
3 of SAAB-2000 are pictured with visible under-fuselage bulge hopefully these bulge are some sort of Ground facing SAR radar

SAAB-2000 (10025+11045)
SAAB-2000 (10025+11045)+KLJ-12-002.jpg

10040+12-002
10040+12-002.jpg

11045.jpg

saab-2000 (10040).jpg

Thanks very much for that link. My grand-uncle was the first OC, Sqn Ldr M.Ibrahim Khan when they were equipped with Hawker Tempests. Decades later my father flew F-16s for the same squadron (operational + CCS).
a bit of a personal question which i have been meaning to ask you for some time (don't answer if you don't like it). was your father the one who was shot down in the friendly fire incident or was he the one who accidentally pulled the trigger. if possible can you pls narrate the whole thing once again. i now can't find your post about the incident.

a bit of a personal question which i have been meaning to ask you for some time (don't answer if you don't like it). was your father the one who was shot down in the friendly fire incident or was he the one who accidentally pulled the trigger. if possible can you pls narrate the whole thing once again. i now can't find your post about the incident.
PM me and I'll let you know. Got some pics as well.

Back
Top Bottom