What's new

Pak to buy U214 - Senate debating reports of faults

Which Submarine Should Pakistan Navy Choose?

• U212/214 - Germany

Votes: 40 85.1%
  • Marlin - France

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
I doubt the authencity of the source, some facts are wrong! First of all the U-214 is already exported to atleast two countries including Greece and South Korea.
Secondly the author is talking about temp 35-58 degrees in rough seas. Let me tell you that the temp in rough sea seldom reaches 35 degrees, its just not possible!!! :confused:

Dear Neo,

He is not talking of the temperature but the roll of the submarine in rough seas. I assure you ships roll upto 60 degrees in very rough seas and after that they capsize. The problem with submarines is that if it rolls to much there is the danger of the electrolyte of the batteries spilling out. I also read an article that the U214 cannot not fire any anti-ship missiles except the Exocet with modifications and was offered to India but they found the Scorpene superior. I think the Gotland will be a better choice for PN.

Best Regards

It was mentioned in one of the articles in this same thread which mentioned regarding the approval of US for this matter.
On the other hand even if we agree that germany doesnt need approval, still these countries follow US policy, any future sactions from the US might result in sactions from germany as well.
We have already seen how US is rasing eye brows on news of pakistan acquring french avonics for its JF17 programe. Though France as compared to germany doesnt really go into the US influence that easily.

I doubt you need US approvals unless it for the new fixed masts (replacing periscopes) or if the U 214 wants to fire a Harpoon anti ship missile.

Regards

Dear Neo,

He is not talking of the temperature but the roll of the submarine in rough seas. I assure you ships roll upto 60 degrees in very rough seas and after that they capsize. The problem with submarines is that if it rolls to much there is the danger of the electrolyte of the batteries spilling out. I also read an article that the U214 cannot not fire any anti-ship missiles except the Exocet with modifications and was offered to India but they found the Scorpene superior. I think the Gotland will be a better choice for PN.

Best Regards

Thanks mate, I stand corrected! :oops:
PN has already selected Harpoon to be fitted in all subs, therefor U-214 will have to be modified. France agreed to do that for the Marlin but Pakistan will have to pay for the modification and testing.

I wonder if the sub will carry Babur.

I also read an article that the U214 cannot not fire any anti-ship missiles except the Exocet with modifications and was offered to India but they found the Scorpene superior. I think the Gotland will be a better choice for PN.

Best Regards
No missile has been specified for exclusive use on U214, all we know is that U214 can fire AShMs. Secondly, how can Scorpene be superior to U214 when the former doesn't even use AIP or any other equivalent to fuel cells. Thirdly...the Indian Navy has a 2nd SSK requirement for 6 submarines, this time with AIP/fuel cell, and HDW U214 is (or was if PN signs the deal) an option.

No missile has been specified for exclusive use on U214, all we know is that U214 can fire AShMs. Secondly, how can Scorpene be superior to U214 when the former doesn't even use AIP or any other equivalent to fuel cells.
Scorpene comes with the option of being fitted with Mesma AIP, but IN did not chose to get AIP installed in the scorpenes.

Thirdly...the Indian Navy has a 2nd SSK requirement for 6 submarines, this time with AIP/fuel cell, and HDW U214 is (or was if PN signs the deal) an option.
Glad to see you read the Navy's 30 year plan, but the thing is the 2nd SSK requirement is for the Amur/S-1300 Lada class subs which would be more for land attack ability, BrahMos would be integrated in them.

Gotland class is not even in PN's wishlist, there are only two types the U-214 and the marlin class. One of these Subs would join PN's fleet in the future.

...and they (PN) better decide soonest!

u-214 is the best...

the PN has made a very wise choice....

Agosta-90B + U-214 = deadly combination :hitwall: :hitwall:

i just wish that india wakes up to this emerging threat...

we need more than just scorpenes to counter the PN... :coffee:

u-214 is the best...

the PN has made a very wise choice....

Agosta-90B + U-214 = deadly combination :hitwall: :hitwall:

i just wish that india wakes up to this emerging threat...

we need more than just scorpenes to counter the PN... :coffee:

Indian ASW capabilities isnt a joke either which PN needs to counter because we being a small force and which heavily realies on subs have to take this threat seriously into consideration.

I don't know much about various types of Sub technologies but I want to know that, "Has Pakistan abandoned the Agosta 90B program or it is going to continue production of more Agostas in future in parallel with these purchases?"
As Pakistan has paid a hefty amount for training and transfer of technology from France.

I don't know much about various types of Sub technologies but I want to know that, "Has Pakistan abandoned the Agosta 90B program or it is going to continue production of more Agostas in future in parallel with these purchases?"
As Pakistan has paid a hefty amount for training and transfer of technology from France.
no we have not! we are manufacturing them & will possibly exporting them in future.

Regards
Wilco

Is pakistan allowed to export locally made Agostas, very unlikely.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom