What's new

PAF - Operations

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The information is updated till end 1988. i would request members to update the squadron information with current status, a/c, ops, squadron commanders etc.

No - 1 Fighter Conversion Unit (FCU)
After the introduction of chinese fighters in the PAF, there was a growing need to have a lead-in jet trainer to give the newly graduated pilots from the academy an introduction to chinese systems before they flew the F-6s. accordingly, the FT-5 aircraft was inducted to fulfill this requirement, and No1 FCU was established on 28th April 75 to train pilots for the F-6 - and later the A-5 - weapons systems. the FT-5s gradually took over most of the tasks of No2 FCU's T-33's which were reassigned target towing and other duties.

The unit started functioning at PAF Base Masroor, under the command of SL Ethisham Akram; in November it was shifted to PAF Base Mianwali. The conversion from American to Chinese training stream created its own demands; moreover, all the literature pertaining to the new aircraft was in chinese and the operating procedures had to be developed from scratch. This task was accomplished by the unit in an efficient manner, the Dash One being written by Flt/Lt's Sikandar, Rizwan and Zakaullah Khan; the check-list was compiled by Flt/Lt. Shams Noor-ul-Hasan.

The duration of a fighter conversion course was set at six months and initially 6 FT-5s were allocated to No1 FCU; this number was progressively increased to 25. Admin & Logistic support was provided by PAF Base Mianwali.

The unit had conducted a total of more than 22 courses upto 31 December 1987, starting with 59th GD(P) Course. to date, nearly 500 pilots have completed their training at No 1 FCU successfully, with four fatalities. in addition the unit has been regularly taking part in major command level excercises such as Jetstream, Lightening and Highmark.

Next: No 2 Squadron.

its really good as we will be taking Chinese Jets from now on or OUR own new Jets which will be based on Chinese Technology

We have no choice and i dont totally agree ! but as of now we have to take wat we can get !!!!!

Mr. Stone i really didnt understand wat u mean are u stoned? haha j/k and its not about if u dont like assistance ? but i sure dont like the assistance from your stars & stripes as they are back stabbing us again thats why i said we have no choice but to go with chinesse platform get it !!!!!!! haha

Mr. Stone i really didnt understand wat u mean are u stoned? haha j/k and its not about if u dont like assistance ? but i sure dont like the assistance from your stars & stripes as they are back stabbing us again thats why i said we have no choice but to go with chinesse platform get it !!!!!!! haha

TOPGUN, you have no choice, but it is better than nothing. LOL

Dude personally i have choices we are talking PAF here haha so i guess it is better then nothing !! dont get stoned alone share hahaha j/k later!

Dude personally i have choices we are talking PAF here haha so i guess it is better then nothing !! dont get stoned alone share hahaha j/k later!

It seems you quite like my name :) Do you like the movie TOP GUN by any chance? and are you a fan of USAF? :D

The information is updated till end 1988. i would request members to update the squadron information with current status, a/c, ops, squadron commanders etc.[/B]
Sir

No 1 FCU (Fighter Conversion Unit ) has been the new home for the newly graduate for many years who earn their wings from Academy. Although K-8s will take over this role from FT-5s in few years but until then the old rugged FT-5 will continue to provide its services.

Even though, FT-5 has a face that only a mother could love but looks aside, I would say that it has one of the best safety records of all the current types that PAF operates. While one compares it with any other jet, please do take in consideration that it’s mostly flown by the pilots who have barely 170 hours of flying time on their hands. Unlike other jets these birds never enjoyed the privilege of shelter parking but have been bearing the extreme weathers of Mianwali while operating from a big tarmac for last 30 years. Imagine the toll it has taken onto its airframe/structure in all those years. Despite student pilots abuse to this bird to max: especially during circuit & landing phase, it is still standing strong and showing no signs of surrendering.

PAF operates a total of around 35 FT-5s and they all are in perfect flying condition. Transition from American T-37 to Chinese FT-5 is a very interesting one. T-37 is side by side seating arrangement , its very spacious ( bad for student as instructor has more room to swing his punches ) , it has a very nice air-conditioning / heating systems , no G-suit but a pilot wears a back pack parachute , electrically operated canopy that could be opened while taxing , two throttles because of two engines , a nice front and side view , foot brakes , airspeed indicator in Nautical miles ( knots) etc etc……………….After flying such a beautiful aircraft for almost one year when one first time straps him/her self in the cockpit of FT-5…it’s a depressor…..

Contrary to its predecessor, FT-5 is a single engine, single throttle, tendon seat aircraft with a very obstructed front view due to canopy sill. Students wear the G-suits for the first time and love the fact that their instructor can never reach them (as he sits in the rear seat)…..Canopy is locked from out side by crew chief before you start and he opens it once you park the aircraft after landing…..its air conditioner is horrible and leaves you to roast inside with closed canopy especially in the soaring heat of Mianwali. Speed indicator is in kilometres, the engine starter is manual and the brakes are like cycle brakes that are hand operated…What the hell!!!!…….When in FCU , you miss T-37 more than your own mother or your family...

Anyway ,6 months course passes quickly and one moves onto the REAL fighters ….Despite all its oddities and bashing by pilots, FT-5s have served very well , outlived its expected service and no matter how badly you treat it , it never turns its back on you…Unlike other Chinese jets, it’s a very forgiving bird….With more K-8s arriving , we may not see FT-5s on the Mianwali tarmac in few years time but it will be missed by all those who flew it ….

Last edited:
It seems you quite like my name :) Do you like the movie TOP GUN by any chance? and are you a fan of USAF? :D

Umm iam not in love with your name!! haha yes i love the movie TOPGUN and iam abig fan of USAF & PAF cheers bro :cheers:

Last edited:
Transition from American T-37 to Chinese FT-5 is a very interesting one. T-37 is side by side seating arrangement , its very spacious ( bad for student as instructor has more room to swing his punches )

laughter is the best medicine!
Hilarious!

Regarding EW, while we discuss the new inductions, lets not forget the aircraft from where it all started . The EW workhorse for PAF for last 20 years, the sleek and precious old Dassault Falcon DA-20.

PAF received two DA-20s in late 80s that became the part of 24 EW squadron at PAF Base Sargodha. Ever since then, these two aircrafts have been providing valuable intelligence in form of ELINT and COMINT. Besides these they have been part of every minor to major PAF exercise, regular CCS courses and also participated in many Indian Air Force exercise ( in a way ;) ) that took place in their Western and South Western Air Commands. Also, its onboard jammers give our pilots and Air Def controllers a very realistic glimpse into the scenario which they might face in any future conflict.

24 Squadron’s motto is ‘FIRST TO FLY IN, LAST TO FLY OUT ‘. The squadron is popularly known as BLINDERS and the DA-20s are named after the two Shaheeds of 65 war , one aircrat is called IQBAL and the other LODHI. Their names are printed on the aircrafts nose and always remain an inspiration for 24 squadron’s crew. I have added few rare pics DA-20 below. Enjoy...

cfd97c5bafa0a76c8a5551dac624fe2c.jpg

424af55f4d6ac96eb42640955210f9a4.jpg

b80c3c41c06513f0c07bb2688bad3b54.jpg

85bd60b2d796bdb0be07998f10108c23.jpg

da29ca7c1ef88338cfa334660cd01f00.jpg

"I am the sole owner of the above images and am releasing them under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License (CC-BY-SA)."

Last edited:
Few cockpit snaps of the aircraft as well. Yhis is a standard cockpit for all the Dassault Falcon DA-20 ( non-glass cockpit models..) .Its flown by two man crew who are also qualified EW officers. Though its cockpit might seem old with old style dials / analog displays and instruments, but its serving its purpose well for PAF. However, the SAAB will have the full glass cockpit with all the updated software’s.

6942d6641a385bd5f27505fd06b9471d.jpg

The Captains office ( left seat )
327fef949d90b14981d007c2b7924656.jpg

Co-pilots side ( right seat )
c7282547c7589f6db71d1b4abbc067c2.jpg

"I am the sole owner of the above images and am releasing them under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License (CC-BY-SA)."

Last edited:
The information is updated till end 1988. i would request members to update the squadron information with current status, a/c, ops, squadron commanders etc.

No 2 Squadron
No 2 Composite Squadron was formed on 15th April 56, at PAF Base Mauripur with T-33A aircraft. initially the squadron was given the name of No 2 Squadron. Later, in April 75, it was named No 2 Fighter Conversion Unit (No 2 FCU). the present name , 2 Composite Squadron was assigned to it in December 79.

The initial role of the unit was to impart jet conversion training to the freshly graduated pilots from PAF Academy Risalpur and to carry out check rides and instrument ratings for all jet pilots of the airforce. In May 72 No 20 Photo-Reconnaissance Squadron was number plated and its 3 RT-33s and all its photo equipment was transferred to No 2 Squadron to form a recee flight, thus expanding the role of the unit.

In December 79, after passing out of No 66 GD(P) and No 4 Supplementry courses, the role of the unit was changed to that of a Composite Squadron tasked to perform a varirty of tasks including ground-controlled interceptions for the training of air defence controllers, and aerial target towing for all three services; these were in addition to the earlier tasks of instrument ratings, checkouts and of photo-recee. In August 82 when No 7 Squadron was temporarily number-plated, all its B-57 light bombers were also transferred to No 2 Squadron, adding yet another role of night interdiction and special missions to the units assignments.

No 2 Squadron has the unique honour of receiving the only Nishan-e-Haider (NH) awarded to the PAF. Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas laid down his life in a most extraordinary manner to defend the honour of his country, when he foiled the attempt of his much superior East Pakistani (Bengali) instructor to hijack his aircraft to India during the India-Pakistan War of 71.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom