What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

I am buying another SLR camera just for the sake of taking pictures in this airshow

Still confused about the right choice but will definitely buy within next 2-3 days

I am buying another SLR camera just for the sake of taking pictures in this airshow

Still confused about the right choice but will definitely buy within next 2-3 days

The 5D? i am still wrestling with the thought of buying a 7D. My 10-22 EF-S is my favourite and will not go onto the full frame camera. My current 350D just crossed its 4th year anniversary and I am due for an upgrade.

Considering every one's travel plans here, probably I will be the first one to take a pic of the JF 17 in FAB.

If anyone needs help knowing how to get to the airshow, I can help. Physically the closest train station is North Camp. The is suitable for people coming from Reading and Guildford. The 2 main lines stations coming from Waterloo are Aldershot and Farnborough Main. The trains stopping at Aldershot go on further to Alton. The trains stopping at Farnborough are mostly going to Basingstoke. I would recommend going to Farnborough since the frequency of trains on this line are much more. There should be special shuttle buses which take you to the air show from all these stations.

For those planning on driving down, the parking is probably at the Queen's Parade grounds. These also have shuttle buses to take you to the air show.

Zaki, if you are on the Canon platform, you may want to hold out for the 60D. There are strong rumours that a new camera will be announced soon. It is also possible that there is no 60D and the 7D would be the successor to the 50D.

If you already have a Canon SLR, you may want to consider getting a good lens instead.

well that is just awesome , just bought my tickets , cant wait will be driving from london so if any body needs a lift let me know .

The 5D? i am still wrestling with the thought of buying a 7D. My 10-22 EF-S is my favourite and will not go onto the full frame camera. My current 350D just crossed its 4th year anniversary and I am due for an upgrade.

Considering every one's travel plans here, probably I will be the first one to take a pic of the JF 17 in FAB.

If anyone needs help knowing how to get to the airshow, I can help. Physically the closest train station is North Camp. The is suitable for people coming from Reading and Guildford. The 2 main lines stations coming from Waterloo are Aldershot and Farnborough Main. The trains stopping at Aldershot go on further to Alton. The trains stopping at Farnborough are mostly going to Basingstoke. I would recommend going to Farnborough since the frequency of trains on this line are much more. There should be special shuttle buses which take you to the air show from all these stations.

For those planning on driving down, the parking is probably at the Queen's Parade grounds. These also have shuttle buses to take you to the air show.

Zaki, if you are on the Canon platform, you may want to hold out for the 60D. There are strong rumours that a new camera will be announced soon. It is also possible that there is no 60D and the 7D would be the successor to the 50D.

If you already have a Canon SLR, you may want to consider getting a good lens instead.

oh no, canon 5d is just out of my reach. I am not a very rich man :cry:

I have used older versions of canon before and now thinking to buy Canon 500d with a good lens :confused:

btw - which lens do you recommend if i am to take a pictures of these aircrafts?

The 500d is a nice camera.

Amazon currently has a good price(550GBP) and also has a 65 pound cash back on it till the 30th of June.
Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
I have consistently found that Amazon offers the best deals on camera equipment which come with valid UK warranties. The 18-55 kit lens on this is quiet decent too. So do take the kit lens.

For the lens, I think the 70-300 IS would be the best fit for you.
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Yes, it is expensive compared to the non IS 75-300, however the quality of the optics is really nice and the IS, even though it will not matter much when shooting flying planes, will be a god send at other events when shooting at longer focal lengths. I have had friends who have used this lens and are very happy with it.

Make sure you pick a decent UV filter for the lens to protect the front elements of the lenses.

thanks for your useful advise,

i am thinking to buy exactly the same camera and the lens :cheers:

trying to buy from ebay as i was bit unlucky yesterday but if put little efforts i am sure i will be able to buy both equipments for less than £600 :) now your suggestions has encouraged me to stick with my plan and i am no longer confused :D

Wish me best of luck :cheers:

PS: any other lens you want to suggest?

hi the best lense for air display shooting is canon 100-400 L (£1100) as this lense can give you 800mm coverage if you attach 2x extender (£250) but this lense is bit costly however you can use 70-300mm(£380) with 2x or 1.4x extender(£225) so you can cover 600mm length but if you need super sharp photographs then you should select L series lense from canon so a cheaper option may be 70-200L f4 non Is lense which will cost arround £450 however for air display IS version is a nice choice which will cost £650 as far as camera is concern 5D(£850) and 5d mark II (£1600) are full frame cameras but have less frames per second and not much effective for fast actions on the other hand 40D (£600) and 7D(£1000) are not full frames but give much higher frames per second and best for fast action photography. however 40D has a problem for error 99 which Canon tried to sort out but failed and after every two years you need to send it back to Canon and they will charge you around £155 so in my view 7D is a best option as you can make HD movies with that camera as well and need no movie camera and this camera has better frames per second rate as well however you can try new sony series with penorama as well which will cost you £250 and have 10x optical zoom and very fast frame per second rate but that is not a professional camera like 7D or 5D mark II but you will enjoy this camera during this show. thanks :pakistan:

and also don't try to buy from ebay as usually there are faulty cameras and lenses for sale once you but it then problems ........

You also have an option of the 55-250. I haven't read too many impressive reviews about this lens though. It is still a relatively inexpensive lens when compared to the 70-300.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom AF Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
thanks, i think 70-300mm is better so i would stick with plan A :toast_sign:
and also don't try to buy from ebay as usually there are faulty cameras and lenses for sale once you but it then problems ........
well i am a proud ebayer since 2003 :rofl:

I have been buying and selling stuff since this many years and i hardly had any complaints from my customers / sellers

Zaki,

I am always concerned about buying from ebay. The only lens I ever got from ebay was a 28-135 EF lens from an argos clearence guy. I got a very good price. The lens also was excellent and came with UK warranty.

One other lens I always recommend even though it will be of no use at the airshow is the 50mm 1.8 lens. This is a prime lens, so no zooming. You will have to walk closer to or further from the subject. But the lens is ultra cheap( < 100 GBP), fast ( f 1.8, so you can get pictures under lower light) and sharp ( better than my 'L' lens).

yes you are but you need to be extra careful for cameras like if there is dust in the element you cant guess from the pics and if the lense polish broken form you can't focus properly and this this is happening on ebay also there are lots of sellers for camera and lenses from Hong Kong once you get delivery then you need to pay some duty for that and again if something wrong with the condition of the lense or the camera?

hi the best lense for air display shooting is canon 100-400 L (£1100) as this lense can give you 800mm coverage if you attach 2x extender (£250) but this lense is bit costly however you can use 70-300mm(£380) with 2x or 1.4x extender(£225) so you can cover 600mm length but if you need super sharp photographs then you should select L series lense from canon so a cheaper option may be 70-200L f4 non Is lense which will cost arround £450 however for air display IS version is a nice choice which will cost £650 as far as camera is concern 5D(£850) and 5d mark II (£1600) are full frame cameras but have less frames per second and not much effective for fast actions on the other hand 40D (£600) and 7D(£1000) are not full frames but give much higher frames per second and best for fast action photography. however 40D has a problem for error 99 which Canon tried to sort out but failed and after every two years you need to send it back to Canon and they will charge you around £155 so in my view 7D is a best option as you can make HD movies with that camera as well and need no movie camera and this camera has better frames per second rate as well however you can try new sony series with penorama as well which will cost you £250 and have 10x optical zoom and very fast frame per second rate but that is not a professional camera like 7D or 5D mark II but you will enjoy this camera during this show. thanks :pakistan:

I thought of getting a 2X extender for my 70-200 L f4. However I have heard many bad reviews about that extender. That lens did cost me a lot more then 645 though :).

Zaki,

I am always concerned about buying from ebay. The only lens I ever got from ebay was a 28-135 EF lens from an argos clearence guy. I got a very good price. The lens also was excellent and came with UK warranty.

One other lens I always recommend even though it will be of no use at the airshow is the 50mm 1.8 lens. This is a prime lens, so no zooming. You will have to walk closer to or further from the subject. But the lens is ultra cheap( < 100 GBP), fast ( f 1.8, so you can get pictures under lower light) and sharp ( better than my 'L' lens).
thanks for your advise, i will reconsider about buying from ebay

by the way, i don't buy faulty kind of stuff. I usually buy brand new boxed or at mint condition. I don't believe in 3 years old kind of equipments so probably that is the reason i never had any complaints from ebayers

Will try to look other sites, if i can find with somewhat similar price.....will definitely go for it

Thanks a lot for your time Sir

Back
Top Bottom