What's new

PAF JF-17 in Farnborough Air Show 2010

Quoting my self again.....No body answered my question.

They would not have done it all in one day, most probably atleast one night stopover somewhere or who knows two, one somewhere in Middle East, most probably, KSA and another in Turkey before going to UK.

Each leg of flight till turkey would be somewhere around 2000+ to 2500 approx KM, meaning from Pakistan to KSA and then KSA to Turkey, from there the longest flight it was, as when they reached Faranborough, they landed on priority due to being low on fuel.

Even if it had stopped 1 night or 2 nights between the journey, it was still able to fly the very next day and thus very less maintenance required.

Do remember, these are the latest airframes of the 1st Sqd, thus they have been flown for the least amount of time so far.

On 14th most probably, the JF-17s were spotted at Turkish airfield, same day the Turkish President meeting our Def Minister and news of Turks showing interest in JF-17s came up and the very next day on 15th, they had to arrive at Faranbrough, thus one night atleast confirmed at Turkey, another may be in KSA as PAF would have interacted with both these countries air forces as we have best relations with both and PAF would be showing them their latest toy.

And also do remember, JF-17s pilot Oxygen supply is for 3 hrs, so this may also be a limitation for the duration per flight.

Quoting my self again.....No body answered my question.

even though we saw all three fuel tanks attached....But IMO there should be a stop somewhere between as C-130 can only be refueled on ground (or correct me).....but I wonder where would they refueled.... most probably turkey or Ukraine???? these are the two logical stops IMHO

@ topic

I had read F-16 participating too but now i can read anywhere, is it also now out of the list :eek:

The F16 has been out practising every day over the last week. I think that plane is definitely flying.

Of all the planes out last week, the F16 seems to be the most effortless plane to fly. The italian plane was pretty good too. Ofcourse, it is just my view from the ground. I like the way it just shoots off vertically once it takes off. The Typhoon was the prettiest. The F18 the loudest.

I find the A380 to be the most impressive plane in the airshow. Its just gigantic, can make tight turns and is extremely silent. The M400 also impressed doing a roll.

My friends think that the F16 pilot is the maddest of them all.

Last edited:
BTW I have edited an beautiful picture of JF17 to remove annoying lines!!!!!
Here it is

Waqas119, while your intentions may be good, the photographer may not take kindly to you removing all the artefacts and the watermarks. They may equate it to stealing and may stop posting any more pictures on their websites. We don't want that.

For some very nice pictures, go to
Flickr: Farnborough Airshow 2008 & 2010
I have some of my own in there.

I would recommend this particular photographer. He has some JF17 pictures in his set too.
Flickr: ianastles' Photostream

There will never be Airshow (on the sky) for our jets, what is reason for 'static display' only?

That is indeed a very good question on which I have too pondered. A few explanations could be as follows for the reason that JF-17 is not going to be flying at the FIA 2010.

1. Politics.......Maybe the Western folks do not want the JF-17 to do a flying display perhaps out of fear of undercutting their own aircraft markets.

2. Money......It costs quite lot of extra to actually fly an aircraft at airshows. Perhaps the Chinese are not willing to spend that kind of money.

3. Safety Concerns.......Maybe the flight administration of the airshow has some strict rules and regulations on flying platforms. Maybe the JF-17 may not be able t qualify these 'air display' regulations.

All in all its a pity that the JF-17 would not be flying at the FIA 2010. Otherwise, it would have stolen the show with its air ballet!

@ scrumpy
U r the most luckiest person in the world! Can't wait for next sat and I willl be their....
We should have a thread with our original names and contact numbers so we can meet at the show... I guess u won't com cuz u hav already seen the show...

1. Politics.......Maybe the Western folks do not want the JF-17 to do a flying display perhaps out of fear of undercutting their own aircraft markets.

I doubt that this is the cause. If they really wanted to do it, they would have probably not invited them for any sort of display.

2. Money......It costs quite lot of extra to actually fly an aircraft at airshows. Perhaps the Chinese are not willing to spend that kind of money.

This seems to be the most logical explanation. Apart from the fuel bills, I guess you also need extra technicians, pay the organisers for the privilege, etc.

3. Safety Concerns.......Maybe the flight administration of the airshow has some strict rules and regulations on flying platforms. Maybe the JF-17 may not be able t qualify these 'air display' regulations.

This may be another reason. However they also have the Avro Vulcan flying. This aircraft is kept in the air by a group of enthusiasts who are cannibalising parts from other vulcans to keep this one flying.

Maybe it doesn't have enough support on the ground to keep the bird flying. The western jet planes which are flying do not park at Farnborough overnight. They fly off to another RAF base every evening.

All in all its a pity that the JF-17 would not be flying at the FIA 2010. Otherwise, it would have stolen the show with its air ballet!

It would have had strong competition from the other planes flying. :)

Last edited:
4799750449_7f8c5a5f8d_b.jpg

@ scrumpy
U r the most luckiest person in the world! Can't wait for next sat and I willl be their....
We should have a thread with our original names and contact numbers so we can meet at the show... I guess u won't com cuz u hav already seen the show...

Growler, its just 2 weeks in 2 years. Other then those 2 weeks, Farnborough is very very quiet and not much happening. Also what you don't see are the traffic restrictions, the crowds, the noise, the fumes, etc. Ofcourse, I am not complaining. I love the sound of those jets especially in the middle of boring conf calls.

I am often on a multi storied parking right next to the air strip taking pictures of the planes flying. Each time the plane passes, the car alarms on the whole floor just go off :) Its just amazing.

I am definitely going with my family. I will be going on Saturday so that I can relax on Sunday before the working week. However it is dependant on the weather.

Is it possible to have a private thread running open only to a limited set of people so that private details can be shared?

Sending an air crafts on its first attempt of flying display could send all kind of wrong vibes. It will also respark the speculation of Lavi project input in JF-17. May be the Chinese are aiming for soft approach. Send a display unit first and in next FIA, they will have a fully functional unit doing flypast demos. JF-17 from production point of view is still not finalized. It needs to be able to pull some impressive movements to awe the visitors and Chinese probably do feel confident and aiming so high at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom