What's new

PAF J-10C News, Updates and Discussion

Salaam

Interesting post.

One question though, how would the pilot of su27 know if they are closer to the target if their radar is turned off? Thanks.

I don't recall exactly, since I read those parts 7 to 8 years ago. It did open up my mind to just how much closer the actual engagements are taking place despite the maximum search range of radar and of the BVR AAMs. If J-7s could beat Su-27s, that means Su-27s cannot effectively keep tracking a small aircraft at more than 30 km out or utilize R-27s at more than 15 km out that all the engagements all end up as WVR engagements. Maybe Su-27s were detecting J-7s sooner, but J-7s noticed with RWR where Su-27s were coming from and were able to counteract that by breaking that tracking. And just as importantly, BVR AAMs range really don't mean much when the NEZ against a small, fast maneuvering aircraft is under 20 KM. Especially for a semi-active guided missile like R-27, Su-27/Mig-29 will also have to keep lock on the opposing aircraft for pretty much their entire duration. I also remember reading 10 years ago that USAF really wasn't using AIM-120 beyond 30 km against other fighter jet.

Of course, technologies have improved since then. The seekers on the active guided AAMs have gotten better. In the case of PL-15, it even has jam resistant AESA seekers. The newest missiles have better kinetic performance. AESA radars with LPI properties are also allow fighter jets to turn on their radar at longer range. Even with that, you still probably don't want to be firing at a 4th generation aircraft from more than 50 to 60 km out even with the most capable medium/long range AAMs like AIM-120D/PL-15/Meteor. Just think about that little missile seeker coupling with long range guidance from launching or friendly fighter trying to find a fast turning 4th/5th generation jet with the latest generation ECM. After some time, it will run out of energy. Of course, all of this could allow the attacking jet to move closer and fire off second or third missiles to destroy the target jet. On the other hand, it could also cause the target jet fly away more quickly and expose the attacking jet's position to other jets.

As a whole, I don't know if we can just use maximum range of these AAMs to compare them. It's good to know they have long NEZ. That means they have a lot of energy to chase targets. It's also good to know they have advanced seekers and anti-jamming properties, because that will allow them to lock onto target sooner and have better chance of hunting them down. But a lot of times, the engagement will still happen within WVR where SRAAM with the latest IIR seekers, strong IRCCM capabilities and 90 degree off bore sight allow better chance of hunting down advanced, high maneuvering and stealthy fighter jet.

I know I keep coming back to Russians, but they are really behind everyone else in missile, missile seeker and missile CCM technology. The most fanciful aircraft platform isn't going to be able to do that much with 90s era R-73 or early 2000s R-77 against modern fighter jet.

Anybody know the unit price of these J-10C?
At Paris air show and Dubai international air show, J10CE quoted $40 million. It is rumored on the Internet that the purchase price of PLA is 200 million CNY ($32 million). This should only be the price of the plane, not the price of the plane flying away.

When PAF buys J-10C right now, it's buying present capability as well as future capability.
Right on the spot, PAF seems to have chosen CAC as its strategic partner and we have reason to believed they will work/cooperate with CAC for 5th gen even 6th gen fighter in the future.

Right on the spot, PAF seems to have choosen CAC as its strategic partner and we have reason to believed they will work/cooperate with CAC for 5th gen even 6th gen fighter which CAC is currently working on.
But currently, CAC do not offer a fifth gen stealth fighter program. They are not like JF-17. Their development cost are much higher and i doubt CAC are willing to foot half the bill for such specialize private project.

But currently, CAC do not offer a fifth gen stealth fighter program. They are not like JF-17. Their development cost are much higher and i doubt CAC are willing to foot half the bill for such specialize private project.
There is no imminent demand from PAF currently on fifth gen either, that is at least 5-10 years away.

The next batch of J-10C will be produced in Guizhou. Chengdu will exclusively focus on J-20 going forward.

1643027308329.jpeg

Probably also means Pakistan has now confidence in Chinese ejection seats

it is about creating an interoperable J10C force that can interchange with PLAAF J10Cs more easily - for things like war time attrition replacements - so the J10Cs ecosystem has to be closer to the PLAAF configuration to be able to do that. That goes right down to ground crew training for the J10C ...

Unconfirmed (aka Speculation) - someone has told me that there is Probability of heavily fitted, modified EW fighter J-16D to work in conjunction with J-10C and other assets. Not sure if true but would be very interesting if it happens.

Last edited:
PTV had a target of making it's national broadcast completly digital by providing HDTV boxes n/w by Jan 26/27, but as far as I know not a single piece has moved because of low funds and unreasonable deadlines. Once it's done I hope all will be able to enjoy hd PTV and it's parade / tournament coverages.
PTV news is already digitized and now PTV sports is also, this year PSL will be telecast in HD.

No, exactly the opposite! You can surely follow this guy, but beware of "often unreliable info..."

And exactly here it is irrelevant since the PAF surely won't get a TVC-variant, period!
PAF doesn't need TVC variant... no role in combat mission ..

PAF doesn't need TVC variant... no role in combat mission ..

Agreed, but the point is, all this discussion and high hopes by some are irrelevant since there is no TCV-J-10C.

Unconfirmed (aka Speculation) - someone has told me that there is Probability of heavily fitted, modified EW fighter J-16D to work in conjunction with J-10C and other assets. Not sure if true but would be very interesting if it happens.

You know me, and I would be sick if I won't ask: Care to explain at least from what corner this rumour comes from?

I wish it would come true but unlikely btw is this from the same forum where in 2028 Pakistan would be getting Chinese aircraft carrier? :hitwall:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom