What's new

PAF J-10C News, Updates and Discussion

Just a cheap shot at the Rafale being called Omni role in its marketing material
I think the French are guilty of overhyping marketing there with "Omni-role" designation for the Rafale and a few including our neighbors have bought into it.

Otherwise the US/English parlance of "multi-role" applies to all of their aircraft which are just as capable or even more capable than Rafale.

I saw an Indian gentleman mention that since the Rafale does everything that an MR aircraft does and is also capable of nuclear strike and carrier landings, it is omni-role. The reality is that most MR platforms of the day (including F-16s are capable of nuclear strike) and carrier landings require extra hardening of the aircraft which is not the case when the same aircraft is operating from ground bases so it is a stretch to say the Rafales in use by the French AF and the IAF are exactly the same as those in use with the French Navy.

As far as the ability to switch roles in-flight, that capability is a function of the computing and automation on board the aircraft and the current Typhoons, F-16s, F-15s, F/A-18s as well as J-10C, JF-17s among quite a few other aircraft are all capable of handling the same. As such, I would not put too much emphasis on this Omni vs. MR distinction. It is marketing at best.

Last edited:
I think the French are guilty of overhyping marketing there with "Omni-role" designation for the Rafale and the Indians bought into it.

Otherwise the US/English parlance of "multi-role" applies to all of their aircraft which are just as capable or even more capable than Rafale.

I saw one Indian gentleman mention that since the Rafale does everything that a MR aircraft does and also is capable of nuclear strike and carrier landings, it is omni-role. The reality is that most MR platforms of the day (including F-16s are capable of nuclear strike) and carrier landings require extra hardening of the aircraft which is not the case when the same aircraft is operating from ground bases.

As far as the ability to switch roles in-flight, that capability is available with the current Typhoons, F-16s, F-15s, F/A-18s as well as J-10C's among a few other aircraft. As such, I would not put too much weight on this Omni vs. MR distinction. It is marketing at best.
That what it always has been - if any aircraft really deserves the first “Omni role” moniker it would be the F/A-18 because it demonstrated it during Desert Storm in switching from A2G to A2A and back to A2G again.

Why dual engine? F-35 is single engine so is the Gripen and they are fairly capable platforms

We also require platforms that can do deep strike machines and which can carry heavy payloads. A strategic bomber like H6 is a must but would also require a dual-engine jet if not for PAF than at-least for the PN.

We also require platforms that can do deep strike machines and which can carry heavy payloads. A strategic bomber like H6 is a must but would also require a dual-engine jet if not for PAF than at-least for the PN.
It would be a better use of resources to develop stand-off attack, precision munitions. Why risk our aircrews if we have the ability to strike from afar? Is the Tomahawk LACM concept no longer valid?
We don't need deep strike, manned platforms. The idea is to deter. There are plenty of ways to do that while sitting within our own airspace.

Please guys our forces are not going to show everything we have got with these aircrafts.

Some things need to be kept secret and used as a surprise for the enemy. What version of PL15 we got is not important. What is important is to let the enemy guess what our J10s will be carrying when they finally meet one.

The induction of js10 seems to remind me of induction of fsola in 1983 ... Very similar pattern and coverage .. protocol and fan fare .... Am I missing something here ?
Yep.

This is the PAF's first scalable medium-weight fighter since the F-16.

In other words, the PAF can -- and probably will -- build a large fleet of these fighters (90+). This is important because India cannot bank on political maneuvering or attrition to deplete the PAF fleet.

Repeating: What helmet is the J-10 pilot wearing? Any thoughts
For the ferry flight, the PAF guys were wearing MSA Gallet helmets. However, the J-10CE and Block-3 will have HMD/S. I suspect the PAF will start kitting those as it integrates both platforms. The really interesting question is whether they're using MSA Gallet helmets because of the HMD/S. In other words, is the HMD/S a modular kit you would add to the MSA Gallet helmet (like JHMCS), or is it a standalone kit (like Striker II).

I think, in the long run, the PAF will issue an HMD/S to every pilot from the LIFT stage (JF-17B). So, as a pilot, you'll have this HMD/S that you'll take with you for the rest of your career: JF-17B to JF-17B3 (and possibly B2) to J-10CE to NGFA.

DGPR (AIR FORCE)

@DGPR_PAF

Today marks a very important day in the history of PAF as it inducts the state of the art J-10C aircraft in its arsenal. This addition further strengthens PAF as a formidable and potent force well capable of defending the aerial frontiers of our beloved country.

1647029412095.png

11:48 AM · Mar 11, 2022

CA6707AA-F9D9-4953-98CD-97DD0EA69975.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom