What's new

PAF F16-Blk70 possibly coming - TO BE CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know as to why, after flying 100+ GE equipped Block 40s, did Egypt opt for Block 52s with P&W for their newest order?
Similarly, Greece has 40 Block 50s, but later opted to buy 90 Block 52s. Guess GE must have some shortcomings that we might not be privy to?

They are sticking with PW powered Vipers at PAF although I have heard advantages for both engine types, from my experience I would have picked the GE engine. Very reliable, worked extremely well in hot regimes.
When Pakistan first acquired the Block15 F16s the GE engine was not even an option back then. Infact Pakistan was lucky Americans gave approval for the F100 engines instead of the J79.

Only on later model F16s and F15s the F110 became on option

Last edited:
When Pakistan first acquired the Block15 F16s the GE engine was not even an option back then. Infact Pakistan was lucky Americans gave approval for the F100 engines instead of the J79.

Indeed. Of all the Block 50/52 ordered by air forces outside of USAF, there are 184 Block 50 (4 countries) vs 540 Block 52s (9 countries). I think thrust of the F-100-PW-229 is probably not a big concern for most operators.

Block 30,40,50,60,70. The rest are all PW.

Last edited:
PAF has always gone for P&W engines and they already have the infrastructure to overhaul P&W engines. there is no economic or operational justification for a different engine
Not for the GE-129, but for the GE-132 YES.

Incorrect. Over 40 years of USAF maintenance crews will testify that the PW engine is easier to maintain and tougher(resistant to FoD and bird strikes).

If you post the same on a dedicated F-16 forum you will get the same echo.

The performance difference comes from the GE engine’s response time and thrust at different altitudes. However in terms of MTOW its the same.
:o:The PW-229 & GE-132 have the same MTOW?

Anyone know as to why, after flying 100+ GE equipped Block 40s, did Egypt opt for Block 52s with P&W for their newest order?
Similarly, Greece has 40 Block 50s, but later opted to buy 90 Block 52s. Guess GE must have some shortcomings that we might not be privy to?
When was the last time Egypt paid for F16's?

As far as I know that the General Electric F110-GE-132 turbofan engine is only used in the F-16 Block-60. No other block of F-16 uses this engine.

Earlier GE engines had a problem with structural cracks. Last version should have all issues ironed out

A proposal was brought up as how the Hellenic Air Force have both PW and GE powered Vipers. But the resulting cost was far higher in the long run....

They are sticking with PW powered Vipers at PAF although I have heard advantages for both engine types, from my experience I would have picked the GE engine. Very reliable, worked extremely well in hot regimes.
Precisely my point. For PAF with nearly 40 years of sticking with PW and a fleet commonality with 52s, swapping over to a GE engine is not going to happen. So effectively this is a non issue.
A

waste of time ....dear PAF think otherwise ....the conflict is now at our doors....new F16s is ringing bells like "1971 ameriki bera is coming...."

Is there any credible rumours or trustworthy posters on this site who can confirm they are in talks for block 70s? Otherwise i dont want to get my hopes up and neither should the rest of u. Idk why u guys are all excited talking about engine types when we dont even know if we will get it. Dont get ur hopes up too much.

Is there any credible rumours or trustworthy posters on this site who can confirm they are in talks for block 70s? Otherwise i dont want to get my hopes up and neither should the rest of u. Idk why u guys are all excited talking about engine types when we dont even know if we will get it. Dont get ur hopes up too much.
jesy hum guzara ker rahy hain ap bhi kareen :lol:

136 pages on a rumour.
No f16 coming.

It may well be a rumor but consider a few points which create a logical explanation that why it may be possible.
  • Americans want to keep F-16 production lines open: if not India, sell them to Pakistan as this won't topple the power-dynamics despite the sale.
  • Force India to request something bigger: Sell F-16s to Pakistan, make India come for F-18 as a result? Previously, they sold Zulus to Pakistan, Apache to Indians so can they repeat the pattern?
  • They need Pakstians' support in Afghanistan
  • To increase their leverage on Pakistan viz a viz China which they've lost over time.
So it may well be a rumor but looks like there is some substance behind it and it may be real. Who knows, we are just discussing possibilities.

Last edited:

F-110 -229 on the V

The 132 comes only for the block-60 and is irrelevant to the Pakistani purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom