What's new

PAF F16-Blk70 possibly coming - TO BE CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one x-factor I can think of is (for whatever reason) the White House and Pentagon are OK with facilitating a standard EXIM loan with installments. Basically, the kind of loan Pakistan gets (or used to get) from Europe back when it signed for Agosta 90Bs or asked for M2K/-5s.

So, it has less to do with the GCC and, maybe, more to do with the White House wanting to maintain influence. Sure, no F-16s makes Pakistan materially weaker, but you'd rather having a say in a stronger entity than less of a say in a weaker one.

But the counter to my point would be that the US can probably achieve as much by just keeping a check on Pakistan's access to spare parts.
That would require extremely favorable terms. Because even at the height of PPP corruption when the economy was considered relatively devastated then and leeched.. Pakistan was struggling to make payments on the interests for most of its defense loans. The situation todya is worse than then.

Block 70 uses GE engine while Block 72 used P&W engine.
GE has a slight more thrust compared to P&W.Other than that both blocks are identical
Blk 70 = GE engine
F110-GE-129 = 29,000lb thrust
or
F110-GE-132 = 32,500lb thrust

Blk 72 = PW engine
F100-PW-229 = 29,000lb thrust

Todya, more than 70% of F16's use GE engines

@Trailer23 @Maxpane @Syed Hammad Ahmed Kindly note

Blk 70 = GE engine
F110-GE-129 = 29,000lb thrust
or
F110-GE-132 = 32,500lb thrust

Blk 72 = PW engine
F100-PW-229 = 29,000lb thrust

Todya, more than 70% of F16's use GE engines

@Trailer23 @Maxpane @Syed Hammad Ahmed Kindly note
Lemme guess...some secret Arab benefactor is going to pay for the engine swap as well and help us setup engine workshops at James for the new GE one and retrain hundreds or ppl with decades of experience working on those PW engines?
Not to mention that most of our jets are block 15s that cannot switch over to GE. So I suppose you are then suggesting a mix fleet? I think it's better just to drop this GE over PW dreaming as it will not happen

Lemme guess...some secret Arab benefactor is going to pay for the engine swap as well and help us setup engine workshops at James for the new GE one and retrain hundreds or ppl with decades of experience working on those PW engines?
Not to mention that most of our jets are block 15s that cannot switch over to GE. So I suppose you are then suggesting a mix fleet? I think it's better just to drop this GE over PW dreaming as it will not happen

What @Khafee is saying he thinks GE engines are better, have more thrust and perform better in sandy conditions. He hopes we go for them but acknowledges we may not.

Also, a lot of Arab sheikhs own GE shares and if we get the GE engines they would have commonality with Gulf forces so we can more easily be interoperable.

Maintainance between the two types are not totally dissimilar, maybe you could have made your point in a better way.

PAF has always gone for P&W engines and they already have the infrastructure to overhaul P&W engines. there is no economic or operational justification for a different engine

What @Khafee is saying he thinks GE engines are better, have more thrust and perform better in sandy conditions. He hopes we go for them but acknowledges we may not.

Also, a lot of Arab sheikhs own GE shares and if we get the GE engines they would have commonality with Gulf forces so we can more easily be interoperable.

Maintainance between the two types are not totally dissimilar, maybe you could have made your point in a better way.

why not sir ? F 16 is used by UAE and Pakistan . upgradation to block 70 and use of same GE engine could help the airforces of both countries. in time of war or operation same maintenance crew and pilots using same plane could give a huge boost and with in no time they could double their numbers of pilots and maintenance crew and in war both are the backbone
70+ years of experience on PW engines can not be rolled over to another over night. One has to realise it is not F-16 engines that are PW but also other US made aircraft in PAF inventory.

IF PAF is somehow able to order 150+ F16 block 70 then it might be possible to have a separate setup established for GE engines.

If you would have read my previous reply in which I had suggested PAF could procure only F-15's from the list of aircraft inventories in GCC countries was based on the fact that F-15 uses the same engine as of F-16's operated by PAF. There are many F-15's available today and more would follow in following years.

Today there are not many F-16's available in the market with PW engines so PAF options are limited.
@GriffinsRule, @Armchair

they are not coming...this is just hot air fangirl talk. no proof whatsoever
One should not be judgemental in the beginning but optimistic.

Sometimes when it rains it pours...

70+ years of experience on PW engines can not be rolled over to another over night. One has to realise it is not F-16 engines that are PW but also other US made aircraft in PAF inventory.

IF PAF is somehow able to order 150+ F16 block 70 then it might be possible to have a separate setup established for GE engines.

If you would have read my previous reply in which I had suggested PAF could procure only F-15's from the list of aircraft inventories in GCC countries was based on the fact that F-15 uses the same engine as of F-16's operated by PAF. There are many F-15's available today and more would follow in following years.

Today there are not many F-16's available in the market with PW engines so PAF options are limited.
@GriffinsRule, @Armchair

One should not be judgemental in the beginning but optimistic.

Sometimes when it rains it pours...

If PAF buys any used F-16s prior to block 42, they would be all P&W engines. Given that we kept with PW for our 52s makes it an almost certainty that any upcoming F-16s will also be similarly equipped. So why even bother with this line of debate.

I hope that we get some block 72s in our inventory, but I am reluctant to throw my arms up in celebration just yet. Lets see what comes of the Afghan peace process and now Kashmir before that fat lady sings.

Firstly some mis-information. Black 40/42 was not the start of GE engines.

Secondly, there is a reason the US moved to GE engines and most operators today prefer GE.

Newer blocks can switch between engine types, not sure this is true for the earliest blocks.

American engines use similar tech and maintenence systems which are different from Russian or Chinese ones. It is not the biggest deal for Pak engine maintenance crew to switch from one to another.

GE is superior tech to PW but PW is slightly lighter. @Khafee has already said PAF is likely to prefer the PW engines. He is simply noting his disagreement with that decision (when it happens)

Firstly some mis-information. Black 40/42 was not the start of GE engines.

Secondly, there is a reason the US moved to GE engines and most operators today prefer GE.

Newer blocks can switch between engine types, not sure this is true for the earliest blocks.

American engines use similar tech and maintenence systems which are different from Russian or Chinese ones. It is not the biggest deal for Pak engine maintenance crew to switch from one to another.

GE is superior tech to PW but PW is slightly lighter. @Khafee has already said PAF is likely to prefer the PW engines. He is simply noting his disagreement with that decision (when it happens)
Sir,
PW engines are robust engines where as GE engines are not so. The major difference is in performance i.e if max power is required PW takes 2 seconds respond and peak in 7 seconds GE would take 1.5sec to respond and peak at 6 seconds. Hence Pilots consider GE engines as more responsive in comparison.

Sir,
PW engines are robust engines where as GE engines are not so. The major difference is in performance i.e if max power is required PW takes 2 seconds respond and peak in 7 seconds GE would take 1.5sec to respond and peak at 6 seconds. Hence Pilots consider GE engines as more responsive in comparison.

In terms of throttle response, robustness, and maintenance / maintenance trouble shooting - GE wins.

Keep guessing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom