What's new

PAF F16-Blk70 possibly coming - TO BE CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting to read some comments on GE vs PW engines from people who have no engine background. Being American engines do not make them "similar tech" or make them easier to maintain. People need to understand that even within GE engines, one engine model compared to the other may have features which may require extensive training for the Engine Technicians to update their knowledge. One GE model may be more suitable for certain environments compared to a very similar GE model. Even simple firmware/software upgrades on engines can create operational issues if not planned properly. By the way, GE is trying to make all its newer engines accessible and controlled via the web.

Blk 70 = GE engine
F110-GE-129 = 29,000lb thrust
or
F110-GE-132 = 32,500lb thrust

Blk 72 = PW engine
F100-PW-229 = 29,000lb thrust

Todya, more than 70% of F16's use GE engines

@Trailer23 @Maxpane @Syed Hammad Ahmed Kindly note
Yep..But all of our EF Solaas use PW engines and we will not switch over to GE just because of a slightly higher thrust.

12% higher thrust, is not "slightly higher."

Anyways, GE engines are out of the question, so no point in discussing this moot point.
lol so problem solved and happy on PW?

The one x-factor I can think of is (for whatever reason) the White House and Pentagon are OK with facilitating a standard EXIM loan with installments. Basically, the kind of loan Pakistan gets (or used to get) from Europe back when it signed for Agosta 90Bs or asked for M2K/-5s.

So, it has less to do with the GCC and, maybe, more to do with the White House wanting to maintain influence. Sure, no F-16s makes Pakistan materially weaker, but you'd rather having a say in a stronger entity than less of a say in a weaker one.

But the counter to my point would be that the US can probably achieve as much by just keeping a check on Pakistan's access to spare parts.
Sir sorry to disturb u . Any News about 12 AH1Z Viper Helicopters .

Waking up and smelling the coffee, would be nice.
Sir any news about 12 AH1Z Viper Helicopters ???

Sir,
PW engines are robust engines where as GE engines are not so. The major difference is in performance i.e if max power is required PW takes 2 seconds respond and peak in 7 seconds GE would take 1.5sec to respond and peak at 6 seconds. Hence Pilots consider GE engines as more responsive in comparison.

Sir, additionally the GE engines have higher thrust. I am not sure how robust - according to Khafee GE is better in dusty conditions

It is interesting to read some comments on GE vs PW engines from people who have no engine background. Being American engines do not make them "similar tech" or make them easier to maintain. People need to understand that even within GE engines, one engine model compared to the other may have features which may require extensive training for the Engine Technicians to update their knowledge. One GE model may be more suitable for certain environments compared to a very similar GE model. Even simple firmware/software upgrades on engines can create operational issues if not planned properly. By the way, GE is trying to make all its newer engines accessible and controlled via the web.
Russian engines have completely different maintenance schedule from US engines

In terms of throttle response, robustness, and maintenance / maintenance trouble shooting - GE wins.

Keep guessing...

UAE would do that... not to worry, our baradars are with us economically, politically and ideologically.

In terms of throttle response, robustness, and maintenance / maintenance trouble shooting - GE wins.

Keep guessing...
Incorrect. Over 40 years of USAF maintenance crews will testify that the PW engine is easier to maintain and tougher(resistant to FoD and bird strikes).

If you post the same on a dedicated F-16 forum you will get the same echo.

The performance difference comes from the GE engine’s response time and thrust at different altitudes. However in terms of MTOW its the same.

Incorrect. Over 40 years of USAF maintenance crews will testify that the PW engine is easier to maintain and tougher(resistant to FoD and bird strikes).

If you post the same on a dedicated F-16 forum you will get the same echo.

The performance difference comes from the GE engine’s response time and thrust at different altitudes. However in terms of MTOW its the same.
No Sir, Having seen F16s stationed in the GCC, I can tell you that definitely is not the case.

Lets agree to disagree.

GE with 3000 pounds extra, ask those who know the difference when that extra thrust could mean kill or not or escape or not, however Pakistan will not get GE unless PW are not being manufactured and Pakistan is still getting those Ef Solah
@Khafee you being sarcastic so the post is not directed at you but those who think PW is better or same as GE

Yep..But all of our EF Solaas use PW engines and we will not switch over to GE just because of a slightly higher thrust.
A proposal was brought up as how the Hellenic Air Force have both PW and GE powered Vipers. But the resulting cost was far higher in the long run....

They are sticking with PW powered Vipers at PAF although I have heard advantages for both engine types, from my experience I would have picked the GE engine. Very reliable, worked extremely well in hot regimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom