What's new

PAF Able to Stop Drones - ACM

The Indian Air Force shoots down a PAF-owned Atlantique killing 16 people onboard.

PAF retaliates by shooting down an unmanned UAV

16 Pakistani Armed Forces personel lives = 1 Indian UAV

@metalfalcon

DO NOT
insult the men of your Armed Forces

A country that forgets/demeans its Army is doomed to spiral into self-destruction

Pakistani jaan itni sasti naa baniye

lmao,kid enjoy ur party in mumbai

I don't think we should cheer at people being killed. Whether we agree or disagree with Indian people or politicians, there is no excuse for terror. Surely I am a opponent of Indian occupation of Kashmir but one should not act hostile per definition. We would be angry if it happened in Islamabad. We are one in condemning this terror act in Mumbay. I wish all the best for our Indian brothers and foreigners that are the victims of this. I hope that people are trialed and there is no reason to point at other nations. It is a common problem in the entire world. In the past you had surely problems but it is getting a bit out of hand since people start blowing eachother up... There is a limit.

@ slugger ::The Indian Air Force shoots down a PAF-owned Atlantique killing 16 people onboard. PAF retaliates by shooting down an unmanned UAV

Slugger, why can’t you stick to the topic? Its utterly superfluous to compare the shooting of Atlantique with the shooting of an UAV….Both incidents happened 3 years apart…If we go by your theory, I can very comfortably say that Indians retaliated the shooting down of your fighters in Kargil by shooting the Atlantique….We can go on and on about this in circles…….Lets NOT !!!

Besides the time gap, technically there is a hell a lot of a difference between downing an aeroplane with a size of a three storey building and shooting a thing that can fit on your dining table……Please don’t compare apples with oranges…lets stick to the UAVs here……There are other threads to discuss Atlantique…Go there if you want to…

As far as shooting a drone is concerned….there are two ways to look at it: Capability and the Will…

Is Capability there? …YES there is.....PAF has done it in the past and can do it again when required…

Is there a Will? Not sure…..This decision rests largely on the political leadership, not on the shoulders of CAS …

Well said Xman. And let me make it clear to anyone who is still harping on about downing these drones. This or any Pakistani government does not have the BALLs or the will to shoot down any US drones. Ican not say it any clearer-------The Pak Govtt knows, and agrees to these strikes.
WaSalam
Araz

This or any Pakistani government does not have the BALLs or the will to shoot down any US drones.

Dear Dr. Araz - can i qualify your statement. the GoP may or may not have the balls or will but the military does!

26 November 2008

Pakistan's PM Yousuf Raza Gilani says his government is considering "a number of options" to counter attacks by US drones inside its territory.

His statement came after Pakistan's air force chief said his force was equipped to tackle the drones militarily.

US-operated pilotless drones have launched more than 20 missile attacks in Pakistani tribal areas since August.

The government is under immense public pressure to defend its territory against such attacks.

The drone attacks are believed to have been largely on-target, hitting Taleban and al-Qaeda hideouts in the north-western Waziristan tribal region.

There have been few civilian casualties, officials say.

But Pakistani media and opposition parties term these attacks as a violation of Pakistan's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

'Counter-productive'

"We have a number of options that we can consider to counter these attacks, apart from going to the UN," Prime Minister Gilani said in an interview with private Geo TV on Tuesday night.

He said these options would be considered by the parliamentary committee on national security which was constituted earlier this month.

Mr Gilani denied that his government had any tacit or verbal agreement with the US over drone attacks.

The interview was aired hours after the chief of Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Air Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmad, told reporters that the PAF was capable of stopping drone attacks inside Pakistan.

But orders to this effect had to come from the government, he added.

"The decision as to whether or not we want to start a war [with the US] will have to be made by the nation and the government," Air Marshal Ahmed said.

The opposition have been pressing the government either to counter US strikes militarily, or to at least raise the issue at the United Nations.

The Pakistani government says these attacks are counter-productive as they help offset the negative popularity the Islamist militants have gained in areas under their control.

However, it has been reluctant to move either diplomatically or militarily to stop these strikes.

This has fuelled speculation that the attacks may be part of a secret pact between Pakistan and the US.

Pakistan's PM Yousuf Raza Gilani says his government is considering "a number of options" to counter attacks by US drones inside its territory.

His statement came after Pakistan's air force chief said his force was equipped to tackle the drones militarily.

He never knew it, neither he was interested to learn it :azn:

Slugger, why can’t you stick to the topic?
+1 :)
my bad ;)
But the member whose post I responded to had forgotten that Pakistan would suffer from an exteremely asymmetric balance of military capabilities if confronted by America. So shooting down an Indian UAV is not the same as shooting down an American drone.
The outcome would be very different
As far as shooting a drone is concerned….there are two ways to look at it: Capability and the Will…

Is Capability there? …YES there is.....PAF has done it in the past and can do it again when required…

Is there a Will? Not sure…..This decision rests largely on the political leadership, not on the shoulders of CAS …
+1
You are the first guy I have come across on the forum who actually thought the thing logically.
I too had said this very thing in my first post in this thread
Mr. Zardari must be aware of this fact and that appears to be why the go-ahead has not been given inpite of your capabilities.

This or any Pakistani government does not have the BALLs or the will to shoot down any US drones.

Each one of us on this forum is tuned to look at things only from a miltary standpoint.

However the sad fact of life is that each coutry is constrained by various other socio-economic consideration that often run opposite to that of the military view

The military point of view says, "You intrude into our border - we shoot you down...PERIOD"

However the politician of any country has also to look at other equally important issues things like economic stability & social welfare

An attack on a US drone by Pakistan will not result in America retaliating militarily [obviously :rolleyes:], but america will definitely take actions that will hurt Pakistan in other areas - blocking/delaying financial aid is a possibility.

Any Pakistani analyst will back me up when I say this - Pakistan can not afford a blockade of financial aid. The situation is further worsened by the global recession and your country does indeed need the aid [Though you may find it hard to accept it - I did not intend any malice/sarcasm when I made the previous statement]

Politicians have to weigh in all the pros and cons before giving out orders, even if it hurts one secion of its people. Hence for the greater good of the overall Pakistani society, no orders given out to take down UAVs

lmao,kid enjoy ur party in mumbai

That is exactly the reason why the Americans refuse to take your Government into confidence before launching their drones from Afghanistan and flying into Pakistan.

You can not be pro-terrorism where the sun rises and anti-terrorism where it sets.
Once pro-terrorism always pro-terrorism

@Munir
Thank you for your kind words. The feeling is mutual

The Indian Air Force shoots down a PAF-owned Atlantique killing 16 people onboard.

PAF retaliates by shooting down an unmanned UAV

16 Pakistani Armed Forces personel lives = 1 Indian UAV

@metalfalcon

DO NOT
insult the men of your Armed Forces

A country that forgets/demeans its Army is doomed to spiral into self-destruction

Please be logical Atlantique Incident took place on August 10, 1999 and Indian UAV was shot down on night of june 07 2002, don't you think 3 years is a huge gape for retaliation, It was not a retaliation to the Atlantique Incident at all it was just an indian UAV intruding Pakistani airspace and Pakistan responded well by shooting it down, It was Pakistan's right to shoot it down as it was miles inside Pakistani Territory, It was just a self defence action not a retaliation to that incident at all, There is no connection in both of these incidents.

DO NOT[/b] insult the men of your Armed Forces

I can never Insult my nation's defenders, Pakistani nation respects its Armed forces, I request you please think twice before saying any nonsense.

Every human life is precious and every human is equal, may it be of any country or any background there is no price for human blood. Mind it

What i would like say is that we have the capability to detect the UAVs and shoot them down that's it.

Last edited:

26 November 2008

The drone attacks are believed to have been largely on-target, hitting Taleban and al-Qaeda hideouts in the north-western Waziristan tribal region.

There have been few civilian casualties, officials say.

But Pakistani media and opposition parties term these attacks as a violation of Pakistan's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

What say you guys about this? Seems like for every drone strike the "locals" rush to cordon off the area immediately. So who knows who was killed? Bodies are taken away and no one ever seems to have photos that are unambiguous. Could all the Pak press headlines about civilian casualties be just jihadi hype??

What say you guys about this?

A totally useless political statement made by a guy who has a big head but a very limited mind. Perhaps advertising this is not in his best interests…

After multiple drone strikes that involved scores of innocent lives lost, if Gilani sahib is still considering his options, then he has no business to sit on the seat ….Sir, how many more lives you are ready to loose before you stop considering and take some concrete steps…:what:

I am not suggesting that we outrightly start to shoot at every drone that enters from West, but proper procedures should be applied to reduce civilian casualties…Its not at all difficult to adopt such measures but I guess that the only hindrance is our own impotent leadership…..If we don’t care about our own people, NO ONE else will …

I don't think we should cheer at people being killed. Whether we agree or disagree with Indian people or politicians, there is no excuse for terror. Surely I am a opponent of Indian occupation of Kashmir but one should not act hostile per definition. We would be angry if it happened in Islamabad. We are one in condemning this terror act in Mumbay. I wish all the best for our Indian brothers and foreigners that are the victims of this. I hope that people are trialed and there is no reason to point at other nations. It is a common problem in the entire world. In the past you had surely problems but it is getting a bit out of hand since people start blowing eachother up... There is a limit.

what happened to people from Kashmire in all this ? everyday innocent people die in our border including our children and mothers.....i would like to ask how do you feel about it if your mother and children were being killed by US and India....only to end this whole thing we need to nuke Isreal and India.:pakistan:

Dear Dr. Araz - can i qualify your statement. the GoP may or may not have the balls or will but the military does!

Sir Fatman
I wll always bow to your superior knowledge in this matter. However, may i most humbly remind you that it was a military Governent that crumbled in front of the USA post 9/11, to the extent that even Colin Powell later expressed his suprise at how we caved in so easily.
Sir, 2 things need be noted.Firstly none or very few of the top military/ Establishment appointments/ Plantations take place without the will and nod of our masters.
Secondly you cant go back on something that you have agreed to in private, unless the terms are violated. thirdly in our current financial condition can we afford to take on the USA. The reason I mentioned 9/11 was that inspite of being financially bankrupt, we could still have argued and stood our ground outwardly givng signals of cooperation. I hate to say this but Zia ul Haq could have done it but perhaps Musharraf's in-experience got the better of him.
My 2 ps worth. I look forward to your response.
Araz

Sir Fatman
I wll always bow to your superior knowledge in this matter. However, may i most humbly remind you that it was a military Governent that crumbled in front of the USA post 9/11, to the extent that even Colin Powell later expressed his suprise at how we caved in so easily.
Sir, 2 things need be noted.Firstly none or very few of the top military/ Establishment appointments/ Plantations take place without the will and nod of our masters.
Secondly you cant go back on something that you have agreed to in private, unless the terms are violated. thirdly in our current financial condition can we afford to take on the USA. The reason I mentioned 9/11 was that inspite of being financially bankrupt, we could still have argued and stood our ground outwardly givng signals of cooperation. I hate to say this but Zia ul Haq could have done it but perhaps Musharraf's in-experience got the better of him.
My 2 ps worth. I look forward to your response.Araz

araz; sir,
i am sory to intrup in this all !
whatever our eco-condition is? but can we ready to give up our country yet!
as your point of view , hardly we cant resist anything , due to our worse ecnomics!
so if we follow that, we cant afford a country named pakistan?

i personally , disagree with you on this matter, bad economics cant, become a cause of slavry, for instance somalia has 10 time more bad economic conditions thn us , but they never give up thier independence?:angry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom