What's new

P 17 vs Type 45 distroyers

Abdi-Karim Elmi

Reaction score
Lets make a sensible comparison between the two AAW ships. Which has superior ABM capability, Ship to ship warfare, EWS and Offensive aswell as defencive weapons

Comparing a frigate (P-17) to a AAW/D destroyer(T-45)? Nonsensical a more fair comparison would involve the P-15A. But tbf the P-17 and especially the P-17A outperforms the T-45 in certain criteria such as LACMs,surface armament, multi role utility etc the T-45 is just to dedicated to AAW and was has been poorly funded and ill-thought out meaning it was launched without even a CIWS.

Comparing a frigate (P-17) to a AAW/D destroyer(T-45)? Nonsensical a more fair comparison would involve the P-15A. But tbf the P-17 and especially the P-17A outperforms the T-45 in certain criteria such as LACMs,surface armament, multi role utility etc the T-45 is just to dedicated to AAW and was has been poorly funded and ill-thought out meaning it was launched without even a CIWS.

Ops, meant Kalkota distroyers..Imagine a battle which involved Type 45 and a kalkota DD

The cost of Type 45 is much more than India's P15A, so my question is what the hell is UK doing?

Ops, meant Kalkota distroyers..Imagine a battle which involved Type 45 and a kalkota DD
Any missile boat with enough missiles could beat Type 45 as it has no means to fight back, as long as the other boat does not come in the range of Daring's 127mm gun. However that is not the role of Type 45 is playing in the fleet.

it is not a joke, it is still one of the most potent AAW DDG out there, it is just UK could do better with it.

Any missile boat with enough missiles could beat Type 45 as it has no means to fight back, as long as the other boat does not come in the range of Daring's 127mm gun. However that is not the role of Type 45 is playing in the fleet.

it is not a joke, it is still one of the most potent AAW DDG out there, it is just UK could do better with it.

True. However the Chinese type 052D is by far superior to the type 45..I just wonder what it is like against Kalkota class

True. However the Chinese type 052D is by far superior to the type 45..I just wonder what it is like against Kalkota class
052D hasn't been commissioned yet, so there is no comparison. Those ship vs ship comparison is useless as each ship has its own role to play in the battle group according to each navy's own doctorine. So the comparision should be fleet vs fleet.

The cost of Type 45 is much more than India's P15A, so my question is what the hell is UK doing?

Actually you'd be surprised, there's not much in it- the P-15As will cost ~$1.3 BN each and the P-15Bs will cost ~$2-300 million more.

The P-15B along with the IAC-1,P-17A etc will all have the EL/M-2248 MF-STAR AESA-based volume search radar/RAN-40L combo which is by far the most effective stysems in use by any navy anywhere on earth. Mated with the BARAK-2 SAM as on all such new build large vessels and BHRAMOS/BHRAMOS-2 is nothing to be underestimated.

@ Chauism

Hey I'm sorry man I told you I'd post a comparison chart in the P-17 v/s 052C thread and forgot about it:D Here I go now -

Project-15A Kolkata DDG v/s Type-45 Daring DDG

Dsplacement
P15A - 7,000tons
T45D - 8,000tons

THE INDIAN DDG CARRIES -

16 Cruise missiles [BrahMos supersonic ASCM (300km), Nirbhay subsonic LACM (1000km)]
96 Surface-to-Air missiles [Barak-8 (70km), Barak-8ER (120km), Barak-1 (12km; CIWS)]
180 Anti-submarine rockets (in 2 x RBU-6000 MRLs with 90+ rockets each)
4 30mm CIWS guns
1 100mm multipurpose gun
2 ASW/SAR choppers

THE BRITISH DDG CARRIES -

8 Cruise missiles [AGM-84 Harpoon subsonic ASCM (180km), or BGM-109 Tomahawk (1,700km)]
48 Surface to air missiles [Aster-15 (30km), Aster-30 (120km)]
2 30mm CIWS guns
1 20mm CIWS gun (Phalanx)
1 113mm multiprpose gun
1 or 2 ASW/SAR choppers

Main Radar
P15A - Elta EL/M-2248 MF-STAR AESA
T45D - SAMPSON AESA

The P15A with the MF-STAR AESA (considered better than the US Navy AN/SPY-1 AEGIS radar) coupled with the medium-range Barak-8 and long range Barak-8ER can provide missile defence capability that is very much comparable (if not equal) to the American Aegis.

The T45D's SAMPSON AESA (a lot weaker than MF-STAR) with the Aster-15/30 SAMs provide more or less the same level of ballistic missile defence, but the lower power of the radar makes the T45D more vulnerable to MF-STAR's jamming.

Furthermore, I'd expect P15A's tonnage to be higher than 8,000tons total full load. Due to basically two reasons -
1) The P-15 Delhi-class (to which P15A is the successor) already weighs > 7k tons.
2) Contemporary Chinese DDGs like Type-052C weigh around 7500tons full load but P15A is much
larger in size than 052C are carries almost twice as many missiles and rockets, another
reason to believe it's tonnage is being understated.

the british destroyer is FAR FAR superior in AAW than the Indian ship but that's about it, its other options are very limited

the british destroyer is FAR FAR superior in AAW than the Indian ship but that's about it, its other options are very limited

Oh you poor sickly child. Please prove your claims,,,how can you support British DDG against
the DDGs of fellow Asian country ?? You're a Asia-traitor in the making.

Oh you poor sickly child. Please prove your claims,,,how can you support British DDG against
the DDGs of fellow Asian country ?? You're a Asia-traitor in the making.

Don't get him started. He will start producing list of the nukes he has and how CCP is itching to use them and how it is their "conscience" that is only stopping them from "conquering the world".

Let's focus on the topic.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom