What's new

ow church destroyed Swami Nithyananda! – Rajiv Malhotra

The comparison is not w.r.t legality of his sexual activity, but with morality in conformance with societal values. A sanyasi can be either a Brahmachari or a Grahasta. But what the society isn't tolerant enough is a Sanyasi seemingly posing as Brahmachari while indulging in sexual intercourse with a Women whom he has not married.

Again, I don't have a problem with this, but good luck trying to convince the society that he is morally correct in behaving that way. He isn't alone in facing the heat of the society in this regard. Our society also disapproves of Live-in relationships.

His followers are undeterred and in fact he is gaining more. The society more than tolerates a Sanyasi who is also a Brahmachari indulging in sexual intercourse as can be seen by the many Baba's women go to when they are not able to conceive. This has been a long held tradition practiced even during the period of Mahabharata, example Sage Vyasa.

To be fair - Tantric practices sometimes do involve carnal stuff :P But that said, I never knew much about this Swami. If he is guilty, he will be punished :tup: The case against him is not very strong though. :ashamed:
And honestly please don't bring up paedophillia here, you know...
:unsure:
His actions however are indeed questionable, I would have liked him to come in public and clear his position. The lady remaining a devoted follower is strange indeed. :P

I know comparing these people to Swami Vivekananda etc is foolishness. But many evangelicals and their western cohorts termed him a maniac/lunatic/homosexual etc. The trend is prevalent today as well.

@Hermione - Read me again - I have NO opinion about him. I would have liked him to come clear. That's all. I have also not questioned his innocence.

I know that Tantric practices also involve sexual activity, but there is a method to it. What he was captured doing wasn't part of any ritual either. The example of pedophilia is to emphasize that those who're deemed fallen by societal standards rarely are accepted back, be it in any culture or religion.

I am not in favour of him being punished, as he hasn't done anything tangibly wrong. But I can understand why his stock has fallen after that video became public.

His followers are undeterred and in fact he is gaining more. The society more than tolerates a Sanyasi who is also a Brahmachari indulging in sexual intercourse as can be seen by the many Baba's women go to when they are not able to conceive. This has been a long held tradition practiced even during the period of Mahabharata, example Sage Vyasa.

Except, it's sugarcoated not to appear as overt sexual activity in the Mahabharata. Neither are the Pandavas seen as being born out of Sexual intercourse.

And I have to disagree that our society is comfortable with premarital/extramarital sex, be it from a Sanyasi or a nobody like me. And most Swamis say that they derive their power from channeling their sexual energy into Dhyana. Why would they be bothered if some lady is having problems conceiving a child? To each his own. :)

I know that Tantric practices also involve sexual activity, but there is a method to it. What he was captured doing wasn't part of any ritual either. The example of pedophilia is to emphasize that those who're deemed fallen by societal standards rarely are accepted back, be it in any culture or religion.

I am not in favour of him being punished, as he hasn't done anything tangibly wrong. But I can understand why his stock has fallen after that video became public.

The entire point was also that millions took him as their guru. Some of them also knew about the other tantras, that is how they could have approached him in the first place. Now the people from the Ashram were not complaining. Who was complaining? TV channels on the dictates of Church, trying to build up mob fury against the Ashramites.

He is still listed as the topmost spiritual gurus in India. The OP article is 3 years old.

:D:D

You will be the undoing of RSS :disagree:. What are they teaching nowadays in the Shakhas? :P
:cry: :cry: :cry: Et tu Hermione?
My better half is Muslim. Ok, was Muslim. :smitten: We ain't married yet.
Mostly about the perils of far left thought, importance of nationalism and need for creating national consciousness.
Not so frequent now. Job etc. Was a regular when in school. Proud of it. :angel:

Except, it's sugarcoated not to appear as overt sexual activity in the Mahabharata. Neither are the Pandavas seen as being born out of Sexual intercourse.

And I have to disagree that our society is comfortable with premarital/extramarital sex, be it from a Sanyasi or a nobody like me. And most Swamis say that they derive their power from channeling their sexual energy into Dhyana. Why would they be bothered if some lady is having problems conceiving a child? To each his own. :)

The society has sex, plenty of it. They do not talk about it. Vulgarity of speech is what was frowned upon.

That doesn't mean both are same. Aryans are Indo-european people came and colonized Dravidian areas, in most cases during vedic period. Both Dravidian and Aryans co-existed and shared everything from culture, language, etc., which is evident from relationship between the kingdoms of north and south.

But now people like you call this a divide and try to impose that there is no such thing called Dravidian.

Don't take this as propaganda to divide both, consider it as statement of long relationship between both ethnicities which co-existed for thousands of years.

You repeating the same crap again. :cheesy: Both intermarried and even North Indians generally have high Southern ancestry from 35-60%. Only difference you have from the North is your language and your food.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Et tu Hermione?
My better half is Muslim. Ok, was Muslim. :smitten: We ain't married yet.
Mostly about the perils of far left thought, importance of nationalism and need for creating national consciousness.
Not so frequent now. Job etc. Was a regular when in school. Proud of it. :angel:

I am against live-in and equating it with marriage because that undermines the institution of marriage which is necessary for a stable society. But what lovers do is none of my business. More power to them.

The entire point was also that millions took him as their guru. Some of them also knew about the other tantras, that is how they could have approached him in the first place. Now the people from the Ashram were not complaining. Who was complaining? TV channels on the dictates of Church, trying to build up mob fury against the Ashramites.

He is still listed as the topmost spiritual gurus in India. The OP article is 3 years old.

Many of our folks are naive. It isn't all that difficult to pose as an enlightened Godman. But one can't fake it all the time, and hence some of these Godmen get caught in such 'enlightened' acts. :lol:

Do you see much difference in the behaviour of people here? It doesn't matter if it's a Sadhu or an evangelist.:rolleyes:

I am against live-in and equating it with marriage because that undermines the institution of marriage which is necessary for a stable society. But what lovers do is none of my business. More power to them.
No no - we don't live in :hitwall: But anyway thanks :)

Many of our folks are naive. It isn't all that difficult to pose as an enlightened Godman. But one can't fake it all the time, and hence some of these Godmen get caught in such 'enlightened' acts. :lol:

Do you see much difference in the behaviour of people here? It doesn't matter if it's a Sadhu or an evangelist.:rolleyes:

Do you consider those people to have an IQ below 60? I saw that news on Kannada channel which was trying to insult them. They say they are flying. They experience flying. It is their out of body experience.

The society has sex, plenty of it. They do not talk about it. Vulgarity of speech is what was frowned upon.

Yes...but not a Sadhu who claims to derive his spiritual authority and powers from abstinence of sexual activities. The Aghories and Tantra practitioners make no such claims, and hence aren't very popular in mainstream society as spiritual Gurus.

Back
Top Bottom