What's new

Operation Rah-e-Nijat (South Waziristan)

AgNoStIc MuSliM

“”Personally, I believe Kargil was handled incorrectly - we should have claimed the territory and stated our action was in response to India's aggression in Siachen, and we would withdraw only when the Indians withdrew from Siachen.

Of course to do so would have meant risking full fledged war - but if we were not prepared for that, we should not have undertaken the Kargil offensive to begin with””.

Absolutely correct, very well stated! I wish half as much planning and forethought was invested in Kargil as has been invested in South Waziristan.

Pakistan should have taken “ownership” of the Kargil operation with the same level of commitment as we have for the US War on Terror on our territory.

A position in Tololing named “barbad bunker” was subjected to about 50,000 bofors rounds and 25-30 Mirage-2000 strikes. We made no attempt at interception or a counter strike for 14 days for fears of escalation.

Dear AgNoStIc MuSliM

“”But it is nonetheless the only constitution we have, and that most Pakistanis generally agree on. I despise the above-mentioned amendments in the constitution, as I am sure you do some others, but we are required to support it until such time as other amendments are made or the people of Pakistan can come up with another constitution””.

Constitution is the bedrock on which the Government’s legitimacy as a State institution is anchored. Apart from other mutilations, the Federalist character of the constitution has been destroyed. This has enabled a quasi-legitimate government to unleash the full might of the armed forces in minority units of the federation; in Baluchistan, NWFP and FATA (on whatever pretext). In other words the country is essentially compartmented in “Mainstream Pakistan” (Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas calls it the heartland) and “Fringe Pakistan”. Constitutional rule does not equate with the dictatorship of the parliamentary majority.

For instance if the US government has reasons to believe that the Amish culture is a threat to the Spanish Security, and because Spain is a NATO ally, that constitutes a threat to US security. Would it be right to send the USAF and Marines to invade Pennsylvania to eliminate the Amish community?

Would it be right for the US Government to allow basing of Spanish Air Force drones on its soil to launch precision strikes against weird Amish?

“”And any actions not in consonance with the constitution should be opposed, but the above actions do not automatically indicate that the Military Operation in FATA is unconstitutional””.

In much the same way as our Constitution does not sanction the sale of Dr. Afia Siddiqi and hundreds of others to the USA; it does not sanction the abuse of the Armed Forces to further the agenda of a foreign power. Hence, by default it is a violation of the constitution.

“”part a. I assume refers to Musharraf, and he was opposed and is long gone.
And the rest I cannot comment upon since I have not seen the evidence, or that the current government supported them. Nor do they have any bearing on the legitimacy of the Military Operation in FATA.””

The Link is obvious. State resources are used to promote an illegal gratification culture amongst Military Commanders; they get professionally desensitized and form a cult of “Loyalty” to their benefactors. In the end a dominant foreign power emerges as the primary benefactor, and commands their “no questions asked” loyalty.

“”No one is enforcing 'ill conceived ideas upon the Tribal populace' - terrorists are being eliminated. Hopefully the ideas of the terrorists are not the ideas of the majority of the Tribal populace.””

“Terrorist” is almost a Brand-name, a la McDonalds. If you were in the US in early 2003, and held a Pakistani passport, you too had to register as a “potential terrorist” under the provisions of the US Patriot act by February 21, 2003. I have also been branded as a “Terrorist Propagandist” by friends at this forum.

Anybody is a terrorist if he had a non-conformant view of the world. Kashmiris, Palestinians, Chechens are all Terrorists.

“”I would like to see evidence of that 'nurturing'. I don't believe it came about overnight either though. It came about as a result of the US invasion of Afghanistan, and strengthened because Pakistan ignored it for a variety of reasons, until it started to threaten the State.””

Evidence is:
1. Repeated operations in Waziristan, Bajaur, Swat, Khyber, Orakzai, and Baluchistan since early 2002.
2. Basing Drones in Pakistan since 2004 and aiding and abetting strikes on own territory under whatever pretext.
3. Mass arrests, abductions, sale of citizens to the USA.
4. Torture, abuse of citizens by Intelligence agencies. Ever heard about Ms Zarina Marri?

“” And we have discussed the Lal masjid Operation in detail on other threads - the state has a right to resolve a situation as it sees fit, and the State considered that lives of the students reportedly being held hostage by Mullah Aziz as being in danger if the standoff continued for much longer, and therefore made the decision to storm the terrorist sanctuary.

There are no credible reports validating the 'burning of hundreds of students' and what not.””

It was not the right of the STATE that was exercised, but the perverted policy of a military dictator who wanted to score with his benefactors. Those “hostages” agreed to die rather than surrendering to their Rescuers (74 as per government figures; +500 as per other sources).
The Government could have a “credible denial” if the people were allowed access after the operation, the area was not bulldozed and evidence wiped out. Shangla / Swat flared up right after the Lal Masjid, hundreds of aggrieved relatives swelled the ranks of TTP.

“”If people want to boycott it that is their choice - it is not however their right to infringe upon the freedom of others to go for a run around the neighborhood and participate in athletic activities (provided the women were not dressed like Serena Williams)””.

Sorry to make an untoward statement for the want of better words. Our people have not yet developed taste for bouncing mammaries.

“”We have tried the other options, including bowing to almost all Taliban demands in Swat, did not work - so unless you have other options, dexterous or not, this remains the only way for now.””

The only real long term option is to give political space to the “bad guys”. If UK / IRA could do it, so can we. If we can negotiate wit India over Kashmir for 63 years, so can we with our own brethren.

Those who consider “misguided” Pakistanis as the enemy and South Waziristan as enemy territory are playing Abdullah Deewana in Begani Shaadi of the US. You will not get anything else from the Big Boss except “Aur Zor se Naacho”.

Op. Rah-e-Nijat: Security forces take control of Kotkai

Updated at: 1430 PST, Saturday, October 24, 2009
WANA: Security forces have taken control of Kotkai – the native village of Taliban Chief Hakeemullah Mehsud, whereas 13 extremists were also killed in the clashed Saturday.

According to reports, security forces were advancing toward Kotkai – the village of banned outfit Tehreek-e-Taliban Chief Hakeemullah Mehsud and Qari Husain, who is allegedly known as a recruiter of suicide bombers.

The security forces took control of the region previous night.

During the operation security forces had to face stiff resistance on part of the extremists and 13 militants were killed in the clashes

Op. Rah-e-Nijat: Security forces take control of Kotkai

I think this would and should be the final op.
and after this many things will be clear

:) i am with Pakistan Army

I think this would and should be the final op.
and after this many things will be clear

:) i am with Pakistan Army

Its a major op but i dont think its the final one. i just wonder after clearing SW what will the army do with Gul Bahadar, and mullah nazir. they are also extremists whose focus is on afghanistan. will pakistan stop them. if not, drones will come and people will be radicalized and more recruits for them. i think at the moment the PA is doing fine by focusing on SW but later things would get tricky. i have no doubt in our army's capability. but military option is just one front of the war.

Taimikhan

“”Firstly, the Indian forces which were deployed to the border after Mumbai attacks have not yet been taken back to the peace time areas of deployments. So PA has to maintain a credible force at its border too in case India feels for going to some adventurism.

Secondly, PA has already deployed around 2 divisions in the Swat area of operations, some formations in Bajaur & Mohmand Agency, some in the darra adam khel area too. So they can't spare more, otherwise they would have definitely done that. As the swat operations & other agency operations die down, additional troops will be relived & more fresh formations would be send to SWA in case needed.””

So you agree that:
1. PA resources are being stretched, and a division is a lot more than 7000 troops.
2. The only feasible option is to move forces from the Indian border.
3. If we include Baluchistan, VIP protection, Foreign facilities and missions protection, infrastructure protection, augmentation for ASF/FC/ANF; you are talking about eight (8) divisions.

Yaar, if you don't know about things then why do you have to post ?? Instead post about things that you are sure about. Or instead of your sarcastic remarks, post something useful, some thoughtful things, possible solutions of how Pakistan can come out of this black hole. Have a look at both side of the pictures & then post remarks so that we can indulge in some useful discussion instead of your sarcastic & pro-takfiri views. So do try to give it a shot & try to bring some useful change in your thinking. We all Pakistani members on this forum know US is another face of a shittty shaitan & whatever is happening is not good, but its the reality, we have to survive.

Anyway, as for your post, if you read the news when the Swat operation was being launched, 15,000 troops figure was given who would be engaged. I know the names of most of the units involved, brigades & even the divisions. So do the maths & divide the above figure with 2.

I had given a standard div strength of approx 7,200, If you still keep wishing that a standard division strength is more then this figure, its up to you, there are ex-military officers on this forum, in the senior category, if i had been wrong they would have corrected me instead of pushing the thanks button.

As for Baluchistan, Army is in the barracks & is not doing any kind of operations, FC is now involved. FC is not part of army.

Army role is not VIP protection, that's done by Police & Frontier Constabulary personnel.

Again, Army role is not to protect foreign facilities or embassies, Police & Frontier Constabulary do it.

Again, Army protects its own infrastructure, either in peace time or war, the rest of the infrastructure is done by once again Police, reserve police formations, both the FC formations.

Airport Security Force is not part of the army, its a separate branch having its own training facilities, officer cadre & personnel. Their recruitment is separate. And they perform their duties in peace or war. And they have no role in WoT.

ANF is again a separate thing, they are not doing the War on Terror, their role is anti-narcotics, which they have been doing even before WoT started. I do hope you know the difference between anti-narcotics operations & WoT.

There is hell of a difference between military & para-military formations, look up the dictionary to know the difference.

So, plz don't mix up both & also don't mix the roles & bring all of them into the War of Pakistan network.

But still if you wanna believe that 8 divisions Army is involved, can't help you more.

Army role is to defend the country from external & internal both ways.

:wave:

“”Hakimullah's hometown captured by Security Forces, ISPR””.

In the annals of military history this event will be placed next to the Soviet victory at Stalingrad.

Sorry, your sarcastic analysis is gravely wrong & mistaken & uncalled for. :blah::blah::blah:

Try your luck next time on some better sarcastic remarks.

But i guess looking at your pro-takfiri views we will see same kind of pathetic sarcastic remarks :hitwall: from your side, expecting something better out of you would be impossible. :agree:

:wave:

Dear AgNoStIc MuSliM

“”But it is nonetheless the only constitution we have, and that most Pakistanis generally agree on. I despise the above-mentioned amendments in the constitution, as I am sure you do some others, but we are required to support it until such time as other amendments are made or the people of Pakistan can come up with another constitution””.

Constitution is the bedrock on which the Government’s legitimacy as a State institution is anchored. Apart from other mutilations, the Federalist character of the constitution has been destroyed. This has enabled a quasi-legitimate government to unleash the full might of the armed forces in minority units of the federation; in Baluchistan, NWFP and FATA (on whatever pretext). In other words the country is essentially compartmented in “Mainstream Pakistan” (Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas calls it the heartland) and “Fringe Pakistan”. Constitutional rule does not equate with the dictatorship of the parliamentary majority.

For instance if the US government has reasons to believe that the Amish culture is a threat to the Spanish Security, and because Spain is a NATO ally, that constitutes a threat to US security. Would it be right to send the USAF and Marines to invade Pennsylvania to eliminate the Amish community?

Would it be right for the US Government to allow basing of Spanish Air Force drones on its soil to launch precision strikes against weird Amish?
If the US constitution allowed the above actions, and the government felt that local institutions that would have otherwise handled the issue had failed (or even if they had not) then yes, the US government would be within its rights to take those actions.

It would be the responsibility of the citizens who disagree with that policy to peacefully protests, to contact their legislators to oppose and put pressure on the US Administration to stop those actions, or vote them and the President out of office next elections.

And the constitution is what it is - as I said, whether you disagree with the direction it has taken does not mean it is not the framework governing our country that we have to obey. All the mainstream political parties and politicians talk about decentralization, yet cannot quite get themselves to act on it when in office. It is time then for the people of Pakistan to inform themselves and vote accordingly.

“”And any actions not in consonance with the constitution should be opposed, but the above actions do not automatically indicate that the Military Operation in FATA is unconstitutional””.

In much the same way as our Constitution does not sanction the sale of Dr. Afia Siddiqi and hundreds of others to the USA; it does not sanction the abuse of the Armed Forces to further the agenda of a foreign power. Hence, by default it is a violation of the constitution.
That is a subjective spin you put on the use of the military in FATA and elsewhere - I see it as furthering the agenda of Pakistan and the people of Pakistan, not a foreign power, and you have not illustrated whether the GoP's requisitioning of the military in the pursuit of law and order in FATA and elsewhere is unconstitutional.

As for the other actions you mentioned, if they are unconstitutional they shoudl be condemned and opposed and the government exposed for its action, but we are not discussing the other issues, we are discussing the military operations.

Is the government allowed to use the military or not under the Pakistani constitution? Simple question.
“”No one is enforcing 'ill conceived ideas upon the Tribal populace' - terrorists are being eliminated. Hopefully the ideas of the terrorists are not the ideas of the majority of the Tribal populace.””

“Terrorist” is almost a Brand-name, a la McDonalds. If you were in the US in early 2003, and held a Pakistani passport, you too had to register as a “potential terrorist” under the provisions of the US Patriot act by February 21, 2003. I have also been branded as a “Terrorist Propagandist” by friends at this forum.

Anybody is a terrorist if he had a non-conformant view of the world. Kashmiris, Palestinians, Chechens are all Terrorists.
Terrorists are the likes of the TTP - blowing up innocents and targeting the state and its infrastructure and forcing the people of the tribal areas to follow their barbaric and medieval ideology. Terrorists are the people that boast of having brainwashed thousands of children, teens and adults into becoming suicide bombers, and unleashing them upon civilians and the State alike.

Terrorist supporters are those that suggest the state accommodate with the above without the above giving up any of those practices or disbanding their militias.

The description should be clear enough.
“”I would like to see evidence of that 'nurturing'. I don't believe it came about overnight either though. It came about as a result of the US invasion of Afghanistan, and strengthened because Pakistan ignored it for a variety of reasons, until it started to threaten the State.””

Evidence is:
1. Repeated operations in Waziristan, Bajaur, Swat, Khyber, Orakzai, and Baluchistan since early 2002.
2. Basing Drones in Pakistan since 2004 and aiding and abetting strikes on own territory under whatever pretext.
3. Mass arrests, abductions, sale of citizens to the USA.
4. Torture, abuse of citizens by Intelligence agencies. Ever heard about Ms Zarina Marri?
The operations were in response to the terrorists imposing their barbaric and medieval ideology on the people of the Tribal areas - how many Tribal maliks have been killed so far by the Taliban in a bid destroy the traditional way of governance in FATA and ensure no one challenge their rule? Hundreds.

Citizens were not sold to the US - terrorists involved in terrorism were perhaps deported - whether that was done constitutionally or not is definitely an issue, and should be investigated and not repeated if done unconstitutionally - but it is not an excuse for a militia to murder and maim thousands of innocent people. The correct way to confront Musharraf's regime was the way the Lawyers movement the media and the political parties confronted and eventually forced him to give up power.

Instead the Taliban chose to commit even more heinous crimes, and continue to do so, and their refusal to stop means that they need to be eliminated.

“” And we have discussed the Lal masjid Operation in detail on other threads - the state has a right to resolve a situation as it sees fit, and the State considered that lives of the students reportedly being held hostage by Mullah Aziz as being in danger if the standoff continued for much longer, and therefore made the decision to storm the terrorist sanctuary.

There are no credible reports validating the 'burning of hundreds of students' and what not.””

It was not the right of the STATE that was exercised, but the perverted policy of a military dictator who wanted to score with his benefactors. Those “hostages” agreed to die rather than surrendering to their Rescuers (74 as per government figures; +500 as per other sources).

The Government could have a “credible denial” if the people were allowed access after the operation, the area was not bulldozed and evidence wiped out. Shangla / Swat flared up right after the Lal Masjid, hundreds of aggrieved relatives swelled the ranks of TTP.
Once again, there are no credible reports indicating 'hundreds of students were burned'. The government cannot prove a negative, i.e prove that 'hundreds who did not exist did not die'. On the other hand, if hundreds of students did exist and did die, then there should be some tangible, physical evidence of those deaths.

In any case, if those students did exist and did 'burn themselves' may Allah forgive them for supporting terrorists and committing suicide.

The state has to ensure the safety of its citizens, and two bit Mullah's threatening suicide bombings across the nation if their demands are not met are a major threat to the nation.
“”If people want to boycott it that is their choice - it is not however their right to infringe upon the freedom of others to go for a run around the neighborhood and participate in athletic activities (provided the women were not dressed like Serena Williams)””.

Sorry to make an untoward statement for the want of better words. Our people have not yet developed taste for bouncing mammaries.
'Develop a taste' for looking away then ...

This is one step away from, 'its the woman's fault she got raped'!
The only real long term option is to give political space to the “bad guys”. If UK / IRA could do it, so can we. If we can negotiate wit India over Kashmir for 63 years, so can we with our own brethren.

Those who consider “misguided” Pakistanis as the enemy and South Waziristan as enemy territory are playing Abdullah Deewana in Begani Shaadi of the US. You will not get anything else from the Big Boss except “Aur Zor se Naacho”.

I will repeat, we have tried the other options, including bowing to almost all Taliban demands in Swat, and it did not work. I fail to see how you can argue for 'political space' in the face of that failure.

We can negotiate with our 'Brethren' when they disband their militias and stop training suicide bombers and allow political expression so the people of FATA and elsewhere can freely choose in this 'political space' you wish to provide them from between the Taliban and other options. Without those pre-conditions being met, the only thing you are doing is allowing one party, the one willing to kill its opponents and suppress any opposition, to rule the region as a dictatorship.

That is not 'allowing political space', it is surrendering the people of FATA to a barbaric and violent horde that will impose its rule at the barrel of a gun.

Last edited:
Rawalpindi - October 24, 2009:

ISPR Update - 24 October 2009

1. South Waziristan - Operation Rah-e-Nijat.

a. Today after intense fighting, security forces took complete control of important stronghold of TTP the town of Kotkai the native place of terrorists leader Hakim Ullah Mehsud and Qari Hussain.

b. In last 24 hours, 21 terrorists have been killed during security forces operation in SWA. Security forces losses are 3 soldiers shaheed and 8 injured. Details of operations are as follows:-

(1) On Jandola – Sararogha Axis

(a) Security forces have taken complete control of Kotkai town. The place was stronghold of terrorists with majority of houses converted into strong bunkers. The town also has a training camp of Qari Hussain for suicide bombers. Security forces are in the process of clearing the built up area from IEDs, mines and booby traps.

(b) Security forces have taken complete control of Shishwam and are in the process of securing surrounding heights.

(c) During exchange of fire 12 terrorists were killed while 3 soldiers embraced shahadat and 8 have been injured.

(d) Local sources have also confirmed that during initial stages (17/18) October in Spinkai / Kund Sector, 80-90 terrorists were killed including Uzbeks and other foreign terrorists and 150 terrorists were injured.

(2) On Shakai - Kaniguram Axis.

(a) After securing Chalwastai security forces are in the process of securing important height of Tarkona Narai. This feature has number of terraces with fortified positions and is dominating important Y Junction on road leading to Kaniguram and Sar Wakai. Stiff resistance is being put up by terrorists. In exchange of fire 6 terrorists have been killed.

(b) During search and clearance operation at Khaisura village, security forces recovered a number of rifles and 1 x 14.5 mm gun from a compound.

(c) On main Axis route 1 ammunition laden vehicle has been destroyed alongwith with 3 terrorists killed.

(3) Reliable sources have reported that due to the pressure of on going operation there has been large scale desertions amongst the rank and file of terrorists groups. It has been also reported that the terrorists are shaving and trimming their beards to escape from the area.

2. Relief Activities - DI Khan and Tank

a. 11080 families which had arrived uptill 31 August have been registered.

b. 9792 fresh IDP families have been registered from 13 October onwards.

c. Food Baskets for 2 months and non food items have already been distributed to old IDPs (80, 000).

d. Distribution of 1 x month food basket and non food items to fresh IDPs is under process.

e. Cash for food program for IDPs is under process through which IDPs are being paid Rs. 5000/- per month.

f. District administration has been asked to run evening shifts at local schools to accommodate displaced children.

g. Skill development training for IDPs is being arranged.

h. Local help line (call centre is being setup by special support group) at D I Khan.

j. ATM cards distribution in Tank will be carried out on 24 – 26 October 2009.
---

KIT Over n Out:victory::pakistan::sniper::guns:

Army captures Pakistani Taliban leader's hometown

By ASIF SHAHZAD, Associated Press Writer Asif Shahzad, Associated Press

ISLAMABAD – Soldiers captured the strategically located hometown of Pakistan's Taliban chief Saturday after fierce fighting, officials said, the army's first major prize as it pushes deeper into a militant stronghold along the Afghan border.

A suspected U.S. missile killed 22 people elsewhere in the northwest, but apparently missed a top Taliban figure, authorities said.

Pakistan's eight-day-old offensive in the Taliban and al-Qaida stronghold of South Waziristan is considered its most critical test yet in the campaign to stop the spread of violent Islamist extremism in this nuclear-armed, U.S.-allied country. The army operation has prompted a wave of retaliatory attacks by militants this month that have killed some 200 people.

The battle for Kotkai town took several days and involved aerial bombardment as soldiers captured heights around the town. Army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said troops were now ridding the town of land mines and roadside bombs planted by the insurgents.

Kotkai is symbolically important because it is the hometown of Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud and one of his top deputies, Qari Hussain. It also lies along the way to the major militant base of Sararogha, making it a strategically helpful catch.

"Thank God, this is the army's very big success," Abbas said. "The good news is that (communications) intercepts show that there are differences forging among the Taliban ranks. Their aides are deserting them."

Pakistan is under intense international pressure to clear its tribal areas of insurgents, many of whom are blamed for attacks on U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan. The government has pressed ahead in South Waziristan despite a wave of violence that has put the nation on edge. Bombings on Friday alone killed 24 people, including 17 headed to a wedding.

The army said Saturday that three more soldiers had died, putting the army's death toll at 23, and 21 more militants had been killed, putting their overall death toll at 163.

Access to the tribal belt is severely restricted, making independently verifying the army's information all but impossible.

The U.S. has launched scores of missile strikes at militant targets in the tribal belt over the past year, killing several top militants including former Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud. The latest strike hit Chuhatra village in the tribal region of Bajur, local government official Mohammad Jamil said.

The missile hit a hide-out of the militants that included a tunnel. The target appeared to be Faqir Mohammad, a prominent Taliban leader, but he is believed to have escaped, Jamil said. Most of the 22 killed were Afghan nationals, he said.

Pakistan formally protests the missile strikes, saying they violate its sovereignty and raise sympathy for the Taliban, while the U.S. rarely discusses the attacks. Analysts believe the two sides have a secret deal allowing the strikes.

The U.S. has shown no sign of easing the drone-fired attacks even when Pakistan is waging its own fight in the tribal areas. Asked if the missile attacks are a distraction or help, the army spokesman said Pakistan would prefer to go it alone.

"We do not want any assistance or interference from outside," Abbas said.

He further added that a mysterious explosion Wednesday in North Waziristan — initially described by intelligence officials as a suspected U.S. missile attack — had turned out to be a blast caused when explosives being loaded onto a vehicle accidentally detonated.

The U.N. says some 155,000 civilians have fled the region. The International Committee of the Red Cross said Saturday that it is worried about civilians left behind, but it has no way to verify claims about their status because it has no presence there.

"We want access both to the areas affected by the fighting and also to the people arrested as part of the operation," said Sebastien Brack, a Red Cross spokesman in Islamabad.

The army has deployed some 30,000 troops to South Waziristan against about 12,000 Taliban militants, including up to 1,500 foreign fighters, among them Uzbeks and Arabs.

Associated Press writers Habib Khan in Khar, Riaz Khan in Peshawar, Nahal Toosi in Islamabad and Hussain Afzal in Parachinar contributed to this report.

We can negotiate with our 'Brethren' when they disband their militias and stop training suicide bombers and allow political expression so the people of FATA and elsewhere can freely choose in this 'political space' you wish to provide them from between the Taliban and other options. Without those pre-conditions being met, the only thing you are doing is allowing one party, the one willing to kill its opponents and suppress any opposition, to rule the region as a dictatorship.

That is not 'allowing political space', it is surrendering the people of FATA to a barbaric and violent horde that will impose its rule at the barrel of a gun.

No doubt about it - the TTP doctrine is inherently anti-democratic.

Is'nt it ironic that TTP sympathisers argue for space in the very same democratic political system and the state institutions that they condemn?

As far as TTP is concerned, the state institutions and political system are not 'legit' unless the thugs from TTP are running the show. All they care about is setting up their own fascist fiefdom - the goal is to grab as much power as they can.

As Sufi Muhammed proudly proclaimed, democracy is a 'system for infidels'.

Up to 100,000 civilians have fled the conflict zone
Pakistani troops have captured the key Taliban town of Kotkai in South Waziristan, security officials say.

Troops took the town after days of bombardments, officials said. Three soldiers and four Taliban were reported killed in the fighting overnight.

Kotkai, home to top Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud, has seen fierce fighting since Pakistan launched its South Waziristan offensive last week.

Journalists are being denied access to the area and cannot verify the reports.

Up to 100,000 civilians have fled the conflict zone, the army says.

FORCES IN WAZIRISTAN
Pakistan army: Two divisions totalling 28,000 soldiers
Frontier Corp: Paramilitary forces from tribal areas likely to support army
Taliban militants: Estimated between 10,000 and 20,000
Uzbek fighters supporting militants: several hundred

Challenges in Waziristan
Profile: South Waziristan
South Waziristan is considered to be the main sanctuary for Islamic militants outside Afghanistan.

Pakistan launched its offensive after a wave of militant attacks, believed to have been orchestrated from South Waziristan, killed more than 150 people.

'Breakthrough'

Pakistani troops - backed by artillery, helicopters and fighter jets - were reported to have briefly taken control of Kotkai in the course of fighting earlier this week.

But on Tuesday morning the Taliban hit back, destroying army checkpoints and killing seven soldiers, local officials said.

However Pakistan's army said subsequently said it had secured the tactically important heights around Kotkai.

On Saturday, AFP quoted an official as saying: "Security forces took control of Kotkai overnight and a clearance operation is in progress.

"It is a major breakthrough because it was the stronghold of Taliban and hometown of Hakimullah Mehsud and Qari Hussain," he added, referring to a reputed trainer of suicide bombers.

The BBC's Mark Dummett, in Islamabad, says the fighting is now expected to move into more remote and mountainous areas, as the army continues its drive deeper into this militant stronghold.

Meanwhile, at least 13 people were reported to have been killed by a US drone missile strike targeting a Taliban commander's house in the tribal region of Bajaur.

Officials said the strike had hit the house of Maulvi Faqir in Damadola village.
BBC NEWS 24-10-2009

Some good news at least :pakistan:

check before positng , this is already posted

Mods plese delete this thread

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2009

Jane's Defence Weekly

Taliban attacks 'soft targets' in retaliation for Waziristan offensive

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent - Islamabad

Key Points
Concern is mounting that the Taliban will resort to guerrilla-type tactics in response to the Pakistan Army's attack on south Waziristan

Curbing the Taliban presence in Waziristan is regarded as critical to Washington's initiative to stabilise Afghanistan

A week after Pakistan's military ordered some 30,000 soldiers to launch a long-awaited ground campaign on 17 October to destroy sanctuaries used by Taliban militants in south Waziristan, the Taliban are retaliating against 'soft targets', key security experts have told Jane's .

Since 17 October the Pakistan Army has used infantry, artillery and, in some cases, heavy armour, to target major centres of activity for some of the estimated 10,000 Taliban militants in the area, according to Western defence officials in the capital, Islamabad. These are believed to include up to 1,000 Islamic militants from the Central Asian republic of Uzbekistan.

In a week of fighting less than 100 Taliban militants are reported to have been killed, prompting suggestions that the army was selectively targeting their sanctuaries.

However, a Western defence official, who spoke to Jane's on condition of anonymity, said military commanders in south Waziristan were probably trying to minimise civilian casualties as they seek to control the region.

"Unlike fighting in clear enemy territory, such battles on the home turf are a delicate matter. The military has the firepower to flatten the ground [in south Waziristan] but mass killings will only [weaken] the Pakistani public's support for this operation," he said, adding: "I don't see them [the military] turning back now."

While the army's attack on south Waziristan is part of a strategy to seize control of a region which has become a key staging post for Taliban attacks across Pakistan and parts of Afghanistan, there is a growing danger of the Taliban retaliating through guerrilla-type tactics, defence experts have warned.

On 23 October, at least six people were killed in a suicide attack outside the Pakistan Air Force's (PAF's) primary fighter aircraft factory, the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) at Kamra, north of Islamabad. The PAC is home to aircraft maintenance and overhaul facilities for older Mirage III and Mirage 5 aircraft as well as Chinese-supplied F-7 fighters.

The attack came a day after two militants in Islamabad, suspected to be either Taliban or linked to a pro-Taliban militant group, killed Brigadier Moinuddin Haider, until recently a deputy head of the army's Military Operations Directorate in Rawalpindi.

Brig Haider was the most senior Pakistan Army officer to have been killed since the 10 October assassination of Brigadier Anwarul Haq Ramday, a director at the Military Intelligence Directorate General, when up to 10 militants stormed the army's General Headquarters (GHQ) in Rawalpindi, which adjoins Islamabad.

After killing four soldiers, Brig Ramday and an army lieutenant colonel, the militants seized up to 42 army officers, soldiers and civilian employees of the GHQ. The hostage drama ended a day later in a rescue operation carried out by members of the Pakistan Army's Special Services Group (SSG).

"Things are likely to get much worse before they get better. At least that is the fear," said one Western defence official based in Islamabad, who also spoke to Jane's on condition of anonymity.

"While the army is relying on conventional methods, the Taliban are turning to non-conventional means," Hasan Askari Rizvi, a noted Pakistani defence analyst, told Jane's . "The pattern here is similar to how people involved in insurgencies have behaved worldwide."

Before the attack began in south Waziristan on 17 October, the PAF carried out at least two weeks of bombings on suspected Taliban targets in the region. According to PAF officials, the intention was to "soften up the targets" to cause as much damage to the Taliban infrastructure as possible ahead of the ground campaign.

Pakistani and Western defence officials say that curbing the Taliban presence from their strongholds in Waziristan is critical to the success of US President Barack Obama's initiative to stabilise Afghanistan. According to US officials, Taliban militants and their sympathisers have for years routinely attacked US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, then crossing over to Pakistan to recuperate. They claim that Waziristan has become the main safe haven for these fighters, allowing them to continue with their campaign.

Back
Top Bottom