What's new

Operation Rah-e-Nijat (South Waziristan)

Members have been warned and banned for engaging in anti-Wahabi, anti-Saudi and anti-XYZ ethnicity comments as well.

'Stop being a Pathan' is an extremely offensive and derogatory comment, and if it has not been addressed yet, send me a PM with a link to the post so that I may.

It is obviously not possible for me to see all comments, and it just so happens that before banning Fundamentalist I had to go through multiple posts of his where he was throwing out anti-Shia barb.

I have no issue with a wide array of opinions being reflected here, provided no hate speech (anti XYZ faith, sect, ethnicity, race, religion etc. is involved).

The forum's position however is that the TTP and associated groups have proudly claimed responsibility for their terrorism against civilians and the state, and therefore we will not allow expression in support of them.

Members are welcome to articulate opinions and analysis that address the TTP-AQ issue in a manner different from the current military approach, but there is little patience anymore for arguments that we just sit back and make 'deals' that do not involve the TTP militias disbanding and AQ/foreigners not being kicked out.

Constructive solutions that will lead to an enforcement of the writ of the State in FATA and elsewhere are welcome.

AM - I agree that targeting nationalities and ethnicities is counterproductive for the purposes of discussion on this forum.

However, we should not be asked to refrain from referring to the extremist ideologies(e.g. salafi and takfiri) that are both, fueling, as well as being promoted by, the TTP terrorists and their Al Qaeda affiliates.

Exposing the underlying agenda of the terrorist network requires that we refer to the ideologies that help shape that agenda.

Last edited:
Can someone upload the letter..i couldnt seem to find it.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Can someone upload the letter..i couldnt seem to find it.

69690ac92a52090ebdf6ac1270fd452c.jpg

Dear AgNoStIc MuSliM

Two very valuable remarks that need addressing:

“”Constructive solutions that will lead to an enforcement of the writ of the State in FATA and elsewhere are welcome””.

“” Do you recognize the authority of a State and authorized institutions (LEA's and Military), in our case democratically elected, to take actions as they deem fit to safeguard the safety and rights of its citizens?””

Yes I do fully recognize the writ and mandate of the STATE of PAKISTAN, its territorial integrity, its flag, its constitution.

Let’s not confuse the State of Pakistan with its Government and peripheral institutions. The Government, though on the face of it is a product of General Elections, has actually been instituted through a Deal between Musharraf Administration and the US administration brokered through Mr. Zalmay Khalilzad. NRO provided the necessary legal coverage.

Our leadership has a single point agenda, namely use Pakistan Army and the national resources and territory to wage the US war on its territory, that too for virtual peanuts. Therefore the government has lost its writ in Islamabad, in the heartland and in the tribal areas.

Whereas the Writ of the State is very much intact, Pakistani flag flies for ever; the writ of the Government has been eroded.

TTP is a reactionary force of darkness. Its rise is attributable to the needless operations in FATA since 2002 in the garb of catching OBL. Prior to Waziristan-1, even a mundane US dignitary visit invoke the “BALLY” (sacrifice) of a couple of FATA casualties to show we are fighting a kinda war on terror. Lal Masjid was a turning point; Swat / Bajaur flared into an inferno (no need to state the gory tale). TTP emerged as a rallying point against “government’s oppression”. There on it’s a tragedy of errors.

In my honest opinion the only real solution is to install Justice Inftikhar Chaudry, Dr A Q Khan or someone with similar moral authority as the Head of the State. That’s the only way to crawl out of this abyss.

Oa thank Air Marshal, not me...:P

:angel:

He posted the image link, i just made it more 'visible'

Dear AgNoStIc MuSliM

“”Constructive solutions that will lead to an enforcement of the writ of the State in FATA and elsewhere are welcome””.

“” Do you recognize the authority of a State and authorized institutions (LEA's and Military), in our case democratically elected, to take actions as they deem fit to safeguard the safety and rights of its citizens?””

Yes I do fully recognize the writ and mandate of the STATE of PAKISTAN, its territorial integrity, its flag, its constitution.

Let’s not confuse the State of Pakistan with its Government and peripheral institutions.

In my honest opinion the only real solution is to install Justice Inftikhar Chaudry, Dr A Q Khan or someone with similar moral authority as the Head of the State. That’s the only way to crawl out of this abyss.

haha - have you been attending one too many Hizbur Tahreer meetings?? You should know we rounded up a bunch of HT nutcases in Isloo the other day.

You seem to be suffering from an 'alice in wonderland' syndrome. :)

Last edited:
Ok people, get hold of your joggers...someone is taking us for a walk!

Hint: A terrorist sympathizer

Ok people, get hold of your joggers...someone is taking us for a walk!

Hint: A terrorist sympathizer

JUST SHOW ME his dam trails, i promise , i will cut his legs & we all eat together!:angry::angry::angry:

well i think, "PAYAA CURRY" will be best? for breakfast!

Last edited:
wtf are all these foreigners doing in pak why can't they fight in their own country ?? uzbeks go the f uck back home

Pakistan 'push into Taliban area'
October 19, 2009

The Pakistani army has said it has pushed deeper into South Waziristan as it battles to wrestle control of the region from the Taliban and al-Qaeda.

On the offensive's third day, the army said it had captured important strategic heights in the mountains.

Nine soldiers and 78 militants have now been killed, the army says, though no independent verification of the figures is possible.

Up to 100,000 civilians have fled the conflict zone, according to the army.

The Taliban, who claim not to have lost a single fighter, say they have killed many more Pakistani soldiers than the nine reported by the army.

Residents in the remote area say dozens of people have died since the offensive began.

Pressure

The army has set up five bases in the region near the Afghan border to try to seal off the Taliban's main stronghold.

Military spokesman Gen Athar Abbas said troops were "carrying out a successful operation" in the region, which he described as "the centre of gravity of the whole terrorism problem" of Pakistan.

Gen Abbas said the operation would be completed "within the timescale" but that it would not be appropriate to say what that timescale was.

Reports from the region remain sketchy as the army is denying access to both foreign and Pakistani journalists within South Waziristan.

Meanwhile, US Central Command chief David Petraeus, who oversees the operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, is holding talks with senior Pakistani military officials in Islamabad.

South Waziristan is considered to be the first major haven for Islamic militants outside Afghanistan since the 11 September 2001 attacks in the US and Pakistan's government has been under considerable pressure from the US to tackle militancy there.

US Senator John Kerry is currently meeting Pakistani leaders in Islamabad where he is expected to discuss America's multibillion-dollar aid package for Pakistan, amid concerns by some officials in the country that it comes with unacceptable strings attached.

'Consolidating'

Clashes between security forces and the Taliban have continued across the South Waziristan region, the BBC's Syed Shoaib Hasan reports from neighbouring Dera Ismail Khan.

Checkpoints and supply depots have been established in Sherawangai and Mandana in the south-west towards the Tiarza sub-division.

Security forces have used artillery to pound militant positions in Wana, Servakai, Manzai, Jandola and Razmak, in the north, south and east of the area of operations.

So far, the troops have advanced on the Jandola-Srarogha access and have secured Sherwam, Torghundai and Kotkai areas.

The army is reported to have blown up ammunition dumps - some hidden in caves.

Fighter jets have also been deployed to attack the Taliban in Makeen, Nawazkot, Spinkamar and Khaisora.

Meanwhile the army has taken control of the key Ingalmall mountain range, which marks the passage into Afghanistan.

This will play an important role in disrupting the militants' supply lines and in ensuring more help does not arrive from Afghanistan.

According to reports, the Taliban have been using heavy weapons to fire back at the troops.

'Getting nothing'

Hundreds of people from South Waziristan continue to arrive in Dera Ismail Khan to escape fighting.

"I decided to leave when my neighbour's house was destroyed by jet fighters," Rahim Dad Mehsud, a labourer from Tiarza, was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

He said he had walked three days to get to Dera Ismail Khan with his 12 relatives.

The BBC's Aleem Maqbool, in Dera Ismail Khan, says there is very little preparation for the displaced people.

He adds aid agencies have told him they have been asked by the government not to give assistance to the displaced people because of fears it may be channelled back to help tribesman and militants.

The federal government and the military have ordered the closure of many schools and colleges for a week in Islamabad and some other cities for security reasons.

The move comes amid fears that militants may try to take hostages to force the authorities to ease pressure on their positions in South Waziristan, correspondents say.

Security is tight across Pakistan and police in Islamabad have searched a number of religious seminaries and some nearby rural areas for militants.

- BBC News

South Waziristan operation aimed to eliminate militants: Kayani
October 19, 2009

RAWALPINDI : Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani has said that military operation in South Waziristan is aimed at eliminating the militants from the area and to pull the Mehsud tribes from the clutches of terror elements and provide them an opportunity to live peacefully, Aaj News reported on Monday.

In his letter to Mehsud tribesmen, he made it clear that the army offensive in restive tribal region has been launched against terrorist elements of the area and not against people of Mehsud tribes.

Kayani said that the tribesmen of South Waziristan are peace loving and patriotic Pakistanis and had always defended the country without any reward.

He said that military operation in the area is aimed to eliminate militants who have destroyed the peace and tranquillity of the region. The main target of the military operation is Uzbek, foreign and local militants, he added.

General Kayani said that the purpose of this operation is to rehabilitate the people of Mehsud tribe in a peaceful environment in this these areas.

He was optimistic that the tribesmen of Mehsud tribe would support Pak army in the ongoing operation against the militants.

It may be noted here that the Political Administration has distributed copies of the message of the COAS from door to door in South Waziristan. The message is published in both Urdu and Pashto languages.

- Aaj News

Dear AgNoStIc MuSliM

Let’s not confuse the State of Pakistan with its Government and peripheral institutions. The Government, though on the face of it is a product of General Elections, has actually been instituted through a Deal between Musharraf Administration and the US administration brokered through Mr. Zalmay Khalilzad. NRO provided the necessary legal coverage.

Our leadership has a single point agenda, namely use Pakistan Army and the national resources and territory to wage the US war on its territory, that too for virtual peanuts. Therefore the government has lost its writ in Islamabad, in the heartland and in the tribal areas.

Whereas the Writ of the State is very much intact, Pakistani flag flies for ever; the writ of the Government has been eroded.

TTP is a reactionary force of darkness. Its rise is attributable to the needless operations in FATA since 2002 in the garb of catching OBL. Prior to Waziristan-1, even a mundane US dignitary visit invoke the “BALLY” (sacrifice) of a couple of FATA casualties to show we are fighting a kinda war on terror. Lal Masjid was a turning point; Swat / Bajaur flared into an inferno (no need to state the gory tale). TTP emerged as a rallying point against “government’s oppression”. There on it’s a tragedy of errors.

Jawed,

A State and a flag are meaningless and intangible entities - what does 'writ of the state' mean in the absence of any physical manifestation of the state?

When you speak of the constitution, then yes, you are starting to speak of a more tangible concept of 'State', since now we have a framework, laws and principles that define and govern this entity called the 'Pakistani State' - but then who decides whether that constitution is being enforced or not?

The Government or an equivalent entity of course, preferably one elected by the citizens of the State. Without an entity (in Pakistan's case the government of Pakistan) to enforce the constitution, the constitution is a meaningless piece of paper.

You may disagree with this government for a variety of reasons (I definitely do, and would like nothing better than to see it, or at least its leadership, replaced), but the fact of the matter is that it is a government constitutionally elected by the citizens of Pakistan. As such, it is given the authority under the constitution (unless you can show otherwise, and I will not claim to be a constitutional expert) to employ institutions under its control such as LEA's and the military to enforce the constitution and safeguard the lives, property and freedom of its citizens.

Deals or not, Pakistanis made the decision to put this bunch in power, and in three more years, given the current track record, will hopefully throw them out of power as well.

So, again, do you recognize the authority of the State/Government and authorized institutions (LEA's and Military), in our case democratically elected, to take actions as they deem fit to safeguard the lives, property and freedom of its citizens?

Kayani writes to Mehsuds, seeks tribe’s support
By Iftikhar A. Khan
Tuesday, 20 Oct, 2009

ISLAMABAD: Chief of the Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has sought support of Mehsud tribes in the operation against militants in South Waziristan.

In an open letter to the Mehsud tribes, the copies of which were distributed among reporters at a press briefing jointly addressed by Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira and military spokesman Maj-Gen Athar Abbas, the army chief expressed the hope that the tribes would fully back the army in the operation and collectively rise against oppressive elements for a decisive action.

He made it clear that the operation in South Waziristan was not meant to target the ‘valiant and patriotic’ Mehsud tribes, but aimed at ridding them of the elements who had destroyed peace in the region. He said the target of the operation were Uzbek terrorists, foreign elements and local militants.

Gen Kayani said the army wanted to provide an opportunity to the Mehsud tribes to once again live in their area in peace.

He acknowledged that all tribes, including Mehsud, were loyal to Pakistan and had been working for the ‘defence of the country as an army without salary’.

The letter has a colour photograph of the army chief on the top, the national flag on one side and insignia of the Pakistan Army on the other. Urdu and Pushto versions of the message are reported to have been dropped in South Waziristan by helicopters.

RAHAH-I-NIJAT
Maj-Gen Abbas said Operation Rah-i-Nijat was progressing well, with troops making advances and achieving their targets before the stipulated timeline.

He said that security forces had made an ‘envelopment manoeuvre’ around Kotkai, the home town of Qari Hussain, who is known as mentor of suicide bombers.

He said that foot-soldiers had advanced miles into the area and reached Kaskai feature, to the north of Kund and west of Kotkai.

The military spokesman said that troops had also secured Tor Ghundai feature in east of Kotkai and Shishwarm in northeast of Kotkai, overlooking the town of Kotkai.

He said that two ammunition caches had been blown up in Jandola-Sararogha axis.

In Shakai-Laddah axis, positions were being consolidated after securing Sherwangi, where troops faced stiff resistance. Perimeter of security was being enhanced around Wuzi Sar and Boya Narai areas, he added.

A number of militants were killed and their positions captured. Terrorists left a post of 12.7mm anti-aircraft gun without fighting.

Maj-Gen Abbas said that troops were consolidating their positions to the south and south-west of Razmak. Rockets were fired from the direction of Makin. Arms and ammunition dumps in caves between Laddah and Makin were destroyed by warplanes.

The spokesman said that 78 militants had been killed since the start of the operation. Nine soldiers have laid down their lives. He said that 18 militants had been killed and two soldiers lost their lives on Sunday and Monday.

He refused to give a timeframe for the operation. ‘We have a timeline in our mind, but its announcement will raise expectations.’

About the deployment of around 30,000 troops to fight about 10,000 militants, he said the ratio was sometimes very misleading. Various factors had to be kept in mind while quantifying a conflict, he added.

The spokesman cited instances where the ratio was 30:1 in the army’s favour, but said the number of troops deployed was sufficient and adequate weaponry was available. ‘We are not alien to the area and security forces also have massive public support,’ he added.

Maj-Gen Abbas said the operation had become inevitable because splinter groups of banned militant outfits were getting space for training, freedom of action as well as material and financial support in South Waziristan.

In reply to a question, he said he had no information about the involvement of US security agency Blackwater in the recent attack on the General Headquarters.

He did not rule out the possibility of people coming from across the border to South Waziristan to help militants, adding that the Waziri tribe occupied a territory between the Afghan border and the area where the operation was under way.

He said there was sufficient deployment of troops at the border with Afghanistan as well as in the Waziri area.

Information Minister Kaira said paucity of funds would never be a problem and all resources required for the operation would be provided.

He expressed the hope that drone attacks would not be carried out during the operation.

‘The government has been telling the United States that drone attacks are counter-productive and that drone technology should be transferred to Pakistan.’

Mr Kaira said that a negotiated settlement with militants had never been ruled out, but they must lay down their arms, surrender and accept the writ of the government.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Kayani writes to Mehsuds, seeks tribe?s support

The above sentence is the mother of all screw ups in Pakistan.

Leadership is a quality which is not present in every single human being. CJP or AQ Khan are very popular and respected in Pakistan but they are NOT leaders.

If you criteria is popularity then I would suggest Edhi's name instead. :)

I pray that our Parliament force Zardari to resign and bring Gen. Musharraf back in.

Back
Top Bottom