What's new

Oliver Hazard Class Frigate Acquisition by Pakistan

Penguin, hard to believe that Stark defensive systems were in standby. if they were then the captain shouldve been repraimanded. The reason why i say this is, because Iran and Iraq were reguarly hitting vessels in international waters, it was a part of war zone. and then when you are in middle of war zone u need to have your defenses activated... its a gravious of all errors..

Penguin, hard to believe that Stark defensive systems were in standby. if they were then the captain shouldve been repraimanded. The reason why i say this is, because Iran and Iraq were reguarly hitting vessels in international waters, it was a part of war zone. and then when you are in middle of war zone u need to have your defenses activated... its a gravious of all errors..

Quote from Wiki

"Captain Glenn R. Brindel, was the Commanding officer of USS Stark (FFG-31) and was in command when the ship was struck by two Exocet missiles in the Persian Gulf on May 17, 1987. The incident review board, led by Rear Admiral Grant Sharp, recommended he be court-martialed for his actions.[1] However, he was relieved of command and given non-judicial punishment by Adm. Frank B. Kelso II, commander of the Atlantic fleet. According to the New York Times, in 1987 he received a letter of reprimand and elected to retire early. He had not served as a Captain long enough to retire at that grade, so he had to retire at the grade of Commander.[2] However, the U.S. Naval Register lists Brindel as retiring October 2, 1990 as a Captain."

As the commanding officer in a declared conflict zone he should have taken all the measures necessary to safeguard his crew and his command including keeping on, all onboard sensors and weapon systems. Seems like it he did not do so.

I do not think that the Phalanx was at fault -- it just did not come into action at all!:pakistan:

i am sure pakistan will do its utmost to refit these destroyers with babur cruise missile? anyone has heard of it in Navy circles. Let me ask this, can this destroyer be fitted with Babur cruise missile?

I do not think that the Phalanx was at fault -- it just did not come into action at all!:pakistan:
Neither did the SLQ-32 and associated ECM/decoy systems, nor did the 76mm, nor did the SM-1/Stir. No one doubts the capabilities of all these systems.

Neither did the SLQ-32 and associated ECM/decoy systems, nor did the 76mm, nor did the SM-1/Stir. No one doubts the capabilities of all these systems.

I think it was the crew taken by surprise IMO they were not attentive enough. On high alert things would have been different.

good find.

Aussi OHP is quite different from PN spec OHP. the most notable difference is that Thales is doing most of the work for Assi OHP while only US is given this contract.

After the upgrade, yes.

Here's a link to an illustrated publication discussing the various component parts of the Mk13 GMLS used on the OHP.

Last edited:
The US Navy decided not to upgrade the FFG-7s with SeaRam due to the ship's age when they removed the Mk 13 SM-1MR launchers. I would assume Pakistan would include the SeaRam as they will be using the frigates for a longer time, making the investment worthwhile...

I doubt seriously the US Navy would reinstall the Mk 13 launcher and the STIP sensor, but I maybe mistaken... Eventually, there will be an inventory or shortage problem with the standard missiles...

Frankly, I would install the SeaRams instead... That would provide eleven rolling airframe missiles for CIWS using the Mk 15 20-mm Vulcan Phalanx CIWS mount and sensors... And I would use racks for eight harpoons in front of the bridge...

Doing so wouldn't involve spending as much as the Australians to upgrade with ESSMs and the Mk 41 VLS... In other words do the upgrade the Americans were thinking of doing but didn't... Such an upgraded Perry class frigate would be a better value than the previous Nato Seasparrow equipped Knox class frigates seen in Mexico, Taiwan and Turkey...

Last edited:
The US Navy decided not to upgrade the FFG-7s with SeaRam due to the ship's age when they removed the Mk 13 SM-1MR launchers. I would assume Pakistan would include the SeaRam as they will be using the frigates for a longer time, making the investment worthwhile...

I doubt seriously the US Navy would reinstall the Mk 13 launcher and the STIP sensor, but I maybe mistaken... Eventually, there will be an inventory or shortage problem with the standard missiles...

Frankly, I would install the SeaRams instead... That would provide eleven rolling airframe missiles for CIWS using the Mk 15 20-mm Vulcan Phalanx CIWS mount and sensors... And I would use racks for eight harpoons in front of the bridge...

Doing so wouldn't involve spending as much as the Australians to upgrade with ESSMs and the Mk 41 VLS... In other words do the upgrade the Americans were thinking of doing but didn't... Such an upgraded Perry class frigate would be a better value than the previous Nato Seasparrow equipped Knox class frigates seen in Mexico, Taiwan and Turkey...

The point being that it wouldn't be USN but PN reinstalling/reinstating the launcher and STIR (PN is paying for the transfer and pre-transfer refit). WHen SM1 runs out, there is always the option of going to SM2, like the Australians are planning to.

Indeed, SeaRAM can easily be swapped for Phalanx, or act as its complement (together with rack mounted Harpoon) in case Mk13 isn't reinstated.

Looking at Taiwanese OHP variants, PN might also add a couple of waist guns e.g. 2x twin 25mm mounts.

I agree. There are a few options to upgrade the Perry's Pakistan can choose from with or without the Mk 13 launcher... :wave:

i am sure pakistan will do its utmost to refit these destroyers with babur cruise missile? anyone has heard of it in Navy circles. Let me ask this, can this destroyer be fitted with Babur cruise missile?

dud u just need good engineers and programmers then every thing is possible..

dud u just need good engineers and programmers then every thing is possible..

IMHO PN would be better served with sub that have te capability to fire (land attack) cruise missiles. The PN main surface combattants are to small to be carrying a sufficient number of cruise missiles (in addition to their normal anti-ship missile fit, as they aren't of much use without anti-ship missile) and are relatively more vulnerable.

Pakistan to acquire US Navy warship

WASHINGTON: Pakistan and the US have signed a $65 million contract on Tuesday for the ‘hot transfer’ of naval frigate USS McInerney, enabling the Pakistan Navy to take over the vessel by August 31. The frigate will be commissioned as PNS Alamgir on August 31 in the United States “and a comprehensive refurbishment of the ship, in line with Pakistan Navy’s requirements, will be undertaken under the supervision of US Navy”. Upon completion of its refurbishment work by January 2011, the PNS Alamgir will then sail to Pakistan to join the Pakistan naval fleet. At Tuesday’s ceremony, officials from Pakistan Navy and the Pakistan embassy in Washington represented Pakistan, while senior ranking US Navy officials represented the US government. Pakistani embassy officials described the occasion, as “a major “milestone” towards strengthening the wide-ranging Pakistan-US relationship”. app

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Pakistan to get US guided-missile frigate on Aug 31

WASHINGTON: Pakistan and United States signed a contract for the transfer of the guided-missile frigate USS McInerney here on Tuesday.

The contract will enable Pakistan to take over the USS McInerney at the US Naval station Mayport, Florida on August 31 this year, after which it will be commissioned as PNS Alamgir .A comprehensive refurbishment of the ship will be undertaken under the supervision of US Navy, which will be completed by January 2011.

Defence Procurement AttachÈ Captain Abdur Rehman inked the contract on behalf of Pakistan Navy. The successful culmination of this contract will also pave way for acquisition of more vessels of same class for the Pakistan Navy to raise a squadron of eight Perry-Class frigates. This will greatly enhance operational readiness of Pakistan Navy.

USS McInerney is the second ship of the Oliver Hazard Perry-Class of guided-missile frigates. In September 2008, the US Congress had approved provision of the frigate to Pakistan with a delivery date of August 2010. Citing the Foreign Assistance Act and the Arms Export Control Act, Pakistan is considered a major non-Nato ally and is able to receive older unneeded US military equipment. Additionally, the 32-year-old frigate will be given a $ 65 million refurbishment, including anti-submarine capability paid for with foreign military aid provided by the US to the friendly countries. Pakistan will pay $78 million for the frigate

Pakistan to get US guided-missile frigate on Aug 31

Back
Top Bottom