What's new

No country for brave men

Pakistani authorities are on high alert ahead of the funeral for the governor of the country's Punjab province, who was allegedly shot dead by a member of his own security detail.

Authorities tightened security on Wednesday around the funeral venue in the Punjab seat of government in Lahore, a day after Salman Taseer was killed in the nation's capital, Islamabad.

"Governor Salman Taseer's funeral prayer will be offered at the governor's house in Lahore on Wednesday," an official government statement said.

The outspoken politician was shot 26 times as he stepped out of his car on Tuesday near Kohsar market, an area popular with wealthy Pakistanis and expatriates, Shaukat Kayani, a doctor at the Poly Clinic Hospital, said.

Rehman Malik, Pakistan's interior minister, named the attacker as Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, a guard assigned to Taseer from the garrison city of Rawalpindi on at least five or six previous occasions.

Pakistan's Geo News reported that Qadri told investigating officials that he had informed his fellow guards about his plan to assassinate Taseer.

Qadri had requested that they (other guards) should not open fire at him after killing of Taseer as he had pledged that he would lay down his arms after assassination, investigating officials were quoted to have said.

Taseer, a prominent member of the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP) who is usually based in Lahore, was visiting Islamabad and as a consequence was not being guarded by his usual security detail.

Blasphemy law critic

Malik said that Qadri had admitted to carrying out the attack because of Taseer's opposition to Pakistan's controversial blasphemy law, which came under scrutiny in recent days after a Christian woman was sentenced to death for allegedly insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

Taseer, an outspoken critic of the law and a staunch defender of minority rights, frequently used the social media platform Twitter to get his views across.

In one of his last posts he wrote: "I was under huge pressure 2 cow down before rightest pressure on blasphemy. Refused. Even if I'm the last man standing."

Malik said that Qadri "confessed that he killed the governor because he had called the blasphemy law a black law".

Omar Waraich, the Pakistan correspondent for the British Independent newspaper, said that Taseer had been aware of the threats on his life, but had continued to be vocal on the issues he cared about.

"He constantly insisted that it was much more important for him to speak out and defend the rights of minorities who were in a far more vulnerable position than him, than to let those threats silence him," he told Al Jazeera.

The US and UN have condemned the killing, with Philip Crowley, a US state department spokesman, calling Taseer's death a "great loss".

"He was committed to helping the government and people of Pakistan persevere in their campaign to bring peace and stability to their country," Crowley said.

Following Taseer's assassination, dozens of supporters took to the streets of Lahore, Punjab's provincial capital, burning tyres and blocking traffic.

Punjab is Pakistan's most politically important province and the killing of Taseer is the most prominent assassination of a political figure in Pakistan since the killing of Benazir Bhutto, the former prime minister, in December 2007.

Security threat

Punjab is a major base and recruiting ground for Pakistan's military and security establishment, which many fear is increasing sympathetic to armed religious movements operating in the country.

Speaking to Al Jazeera from Islamabad, Talat Masood, a retired army general and security analyst, said Taseer's killing was "one of the most serious events in terms of violence".

Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, a guard assigned to Taseer, allegedly confessed to the killing [Reuters]
"It only goes to show that even the top people who are trying to protect themselves with all the state power at their command are still vulnerable," he said.

Masood said it appears that Taseer's personal bodyguards had been penetrated by the same radical groups, either sectarian or orientated towards Kashmir, that have made Punjab an increasingly violent place.

"They [public officials] don't know who is really loyal to them and what sort of ideological indoctrination these guards had been subjected to," he told Al Jazeera.

An intelligence official interrogating Qadri, Taseer's suspected killer, was quoted by the Associated Press news agency as saying the police commando had said he was proud to have killed a blasphemer.

The killing is a blow to Pakistan's embattled secular movement and the country as a whole, already mired in crises from a potential no-confidence vote against the government to regular bombings by armed groups.

Pakistan mourns slain governor - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

There is a video as well with the link which i cant watch it.

You are! Asim Aquil is! As are Abu Zolfiqar,WAQAS,,Patriot,Dancer,Meengla & however else wants to stand up & be counted. This is your Pakistan now, the Iqbals & the Jinnahs are footnotes in history. You either stand up & be counted or live in someone else's idea of Pakistan. I see Asim shaken by this. Something he had said on the "Jinnah's only lost case..........." gave me pause. Now his own experience with a co-worker adds urgency to the situation and has changed his perspective somewhat. When will it be your turn? There is no middle path with these guys. It's their way or the highway. You cannot hope to negotiate your way out. That will only be a slow death; one finger at a time as you slowly concede everything you cherish one after the other. I can sense palpable fear here along with despondency. No one else can help sort out this mess. Only you guys can.

I have refrained from making any comments on these threads simply because I believe my nationality, in many of your eyes detracts from the points I make but on this thread, I have in my heart only the best wishes for you guys. We can always do our fighting later, if you want to. Some of you will hopefully come to the conclusion that you have a more important & urgent fight to be done elsewhere.

Thanks for speaking my mind too.

The problem here is, now the moderates in Pakistan will be afraid to speak their thoughts forcefully and that is the greater loss compared to the death of Salman Tasser

I have a lot to say on this but i don't know where to start. On one hand these mullah's say that elimination of taliban by the army is killing of Muslims by Muslims, and than they support this Qadri guy for killing Salmaan Taseer. Honestly speaking, these sect groups who have now joined hands to praise this killer have often in the past accused each other of being "Kafir", "Non-Muslim" and what not only because they disagree on a few things as meager as if it is right or wrong to fold hands while praying or standing in a different posture. We really need a Mustafa Kamal Ata-Turk to rescue us.

no i think that is utter bullshyte.......why do even moderate religious parties fail to gain any major seats in the elections?

i dont think we are intolerant....its just that the media gives the intolerant more attention sometimes; people focus more on the bad than the good. I dont know if this is in our human nature or what.

I've been alive long enough to know that while we do have some pretty effin intolerant, bigoted, jahhil people in our country ---they are not the majority.

The thing is, Pakistanis are made to believe everyone else is at a war against Islam. The fact is, many Muslims across the world (not just in Pakistan) are extremist by nature, having an extremely violent interpretation for many Quranic verses (for example: if the Quran says Allah will punish someone for some particular sin, people get agitated and decide to take matters in their own hands). This sort of siege mentality is also seen in ultra-nationalist societies in countries, where they believe everyone differing with the popular notion of blind nationalism and patriotism is out to 'get them'. The fact is, Pakistan HAS been neglected by the world for too long, there is a mentality here that everyone is out to get them, so other nations have to change their attitudes towards Pakistan too, before Pakistanis (and Muslims in this world) get out of their siege mentality.

Last edited:
Salman Taseer's death while tragic served as a reminder for all of us. Be Sensitive to other people' faith and beliefs. I myself, want a comprehensive debate on the Islamicity of the blasphemy law, and if the punishment is justified by the Quran and Shariah.But I am sure as hell, not going to get a healthy debate going by terming it a " kaala kanoon" from the word go.

He was far from being politically correct, and gave no references or evidence in his favor, all he did was give vague statements. It would have been so nice to see him give references from the Quran and the constitution, and then say that this is why I am supporting Aasia bibi.

He was very insensitive and naive but that does not mean that he should have been killed for it. But then again, there will always be people who would resort to violence to prove their point. Case in point is Qadri, it was a contest between two naive people, one was killed and the other will be hung.

Just to show you how sensitive people are when it comes to religion, a Christian priest on one of the Pakistani news channel once said that " we do not like it when you call us Aesayi, the correct term is Massihe". Now for us, it won't make any difference what we call them, but they get hyped up if called an Aesayi. Now why would anyone want to persist on calling them Aesayi. This is what Salman Taseer did with the "kaala kanoon" phrase. Christians like being called Massihe, please comply. Be civilized, be sensitive and let the peace prevail.

Really sad incident.

May Rabb forgive his shortcomings, grant him a place in Jannat, and provide sabar to him and his entire family to overcome this loss!

well actually the problem in pakistan is PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND RELIGION....THEY LOVE THEIR LORD NO DOUBTING THAT..... but like ALLAMA IQBAL who loved his lord and was educated enough to know how to show his love for Allah knew how to act....

the current breed of people are half baked hypocrites who don't know how to pray properly but are quick to jump the trigger....

may ALLAH guide us all....

no i think that is utter bullshyte.......why do even moderate religious parties fail to gain any major seats in the elections?

i dont think we are intolerant....its just that the media gives the intolerant more attention sometimes; people focus more on the bad than the good. I dont know if this is in our human nature or what.

I've been alive long enough to know that while we do have some pretty effin intolerant, bigoted, jahhil people in our country ---they are not the majority.

The thing is, Pakistanis are made to believe everyone else is at a war against Islam. The fact is, majority of the Muslims across the world (not just in Pakistan) are extremist by nature, having an extremely violent interpretation for many Quranic verses (for example: if the Quran says Allah will punish someone for some particular sin, people decide to take matters in their own hands). This sort of siege mentality is also seen in ultra-nationalist societies in countries, where they believe everyone is out to 'get them' because of their staunch beliefs that others don't approve of. The fact is, Pakistan HAS been neglected by the world for too long, there is a mentality here that everyone is out to get them, so other nations have to change their attitudes towards Pakistan too, before Pakistanis (and Muslims in this world) get out of their siege mentality.

No dude you are wrong, i hope you know that the literacy rate of Pakistan is about 30%? And how many of these 30% do you think are highly educated? May be 10% above Matric? So that is the amount of uneducated or semi educated people we have in Pakistan who may have knowledge of Islam but no education to actually understand what Islam is about. It may be understandable why they may not be moderate but now look at this. Out of the 200-300 people on this forum who no doubt at least fall in the 10% of the educated population of Pakistan, at least more than 50% believe that the killing was justified. Now how do you explain that?

What is the reason our people can't bear any gustakhi against the Rasool?

Nobody is asking anyone to like it, but at least tolerate it to the point, where you don't go violent...

You can't forcibly stop others, if you keep killing them one day they will deem you worthy of death as well.

Nobody is asking anyone to like it, but at least tolerate it to the point, where you don't go violent...

You can't forcibly stop others, if you keep killing them one day they will deem you worthy of death as well.

i believe that bullets are of no use to stop these things if he has been treason against islam then he should have been prosecuted not murdered and cutting the stem is no the solution its the roots that must be taken out and i believe that these incedents would further lead two extrmesim one who resorts to bullets other who are like salman taseer and the world would go on and n and on and on so lets hope for the best and may ALLAH keep islam safe from the pollution of propaganda that this indecent would cause

You don't remember or ever came across basic Islamic teachings in all facets of out society, home, school, masjid, dawaats etc where life and teachings of Prophet (pbuh) were/are discussed and the role of the four kaliphs or other respected sahabas and there is always mentioned a munafiq or kafir who showed disrespect toward the prophet (pbuh) and swords of sahabas came out to silence the infidel or munafiq.

Really sadened to hear the passing of salman taseer, inna lilah eh wa innah ilehi rajaoon. How with such brutality he unloaded 40 bullets into another humanbeing w/o flinching. What a follower of such peaceful personality of Islam who walked on thorns laid by people and prayed for them.

My heart goes out to shaheed salman taseer's family, what must they have gone through seeing their father/husbands body badly riddled w/40 bullets at the hands of a crazed fanatic. Allah unhein sabar o jameel ata farmaye. Allah in mazhab k thakedaron ko bhi hadayet naseeb farmaye, but I fear they have become an adam khor animal who have tasted human blood and they settle for nothing else but human blood. Now either we put a bullet in the head of this adum khor animal or beg for mercy and maybe it will leave us in peace for a short while.

Now either we put a bullet in the head of this adum khor animal or beg for mercy and maybe it will leave us in peace for a short while.

Execution will make this guy a Shaheed and a hero in the eyes of Mullah lovers and bigots, if that happnes, trust me it wont be good for pakistan!! Put him in jail for life, that is the best thing.

Actually the so called "Infidels" has been much wiser,respectful and considerate towards Islam,feelings of Muslims and peace in general..

A new fascist political party in Britain called EDL or English Defense League who demonsterates all over the country against Muslims and Islam had been asking UK Govt to issue visa for the American "Burn the Quraan" church Pastor,so that EDL can carry him all around UK in Muslim communities and him addressing rallies..EDL claimed that this will promote tolerance in Muslims who dont tolerate any insult towards their religion..

UK Home office refused to issue him visa saying that EDL's action was unnecessary...

I wonder what would have happened if the same thing was requested by one of Pakistan's so called "Moderate" Muslims...There had been fights all over the country..each blaming the other of intolerance?

This is the statement given by UK home secretary..

She said she had the power as home secretary to exclude an individual from coming to the UK if she considered they were not conducive to the public good or threatened national security.

Apperantly she gave priority to peace and securty and to avoid unnecessary fuss,she didnt allow US Pastor in UK...was that against "Right of self expression"? or was that simple plain common sense?

So there you go..even a "Kafir" government knew that such unnecessary Carleton and provocative statements by a controversial figure about a controversial thing will threaten national security and unnecessarily hurt people's feelings..and the stopped it from happening....
No wonder so many British Muslims..including me Genuinely Love UK..

Ok Salman was a dad,a father a husband and i feel sorry for his family who lost him...
But being a high ranking Government official didn't Salmaan Taseer know that he was creating unnecessary disturbance? At no point he was considerate towards millions of people who were hurt by the alleged and although unproved actions of the Christian woman....He could have done better..Instead of giving blunt statements about "this is wrong and that is wrong,and she is innocent" ..He could have given more diplomatic and wise statements and everybody was happy...

I am sorry but this is not Bravery..instead its immaturity...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom